10% rule.... (Read 684 times)

So here's a question..... I know it is said not to increase your mileage more than 10% per week, but where do you begin after injury? I have been sidelined for a month and a half and am going to get back at it tomorrow (hopefully I make it). I am imagining that I can start at about 10 mpw with a slow increase each week. I will be taking at slow and short, but would like to know where to start.

Looking at your log, I'd say that running 10 miles or so per week is certainly feasible. You'd probably be fine increasing that by 2 or 3 miles per week as well, is my guess. For myself, I will usually jump straight to 20 or 25 miles per week and think nothing of it, and jump my mileage 5-8 each week until I'm up around 50 miles per week (with cut back weeks every 3 or 4 weeks of course.) My history is probably a little different than yours, though. I used to average 85-100 miles per week and am less than a decade removed from that kind of mileage. I still get up into the 40-60 range for most of the year.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Listen to your body. It is probably fine to start back around 10-15 MPW if you feel good. I just came off of 4+ weeks of illness and a little extra recovery time and just did my second highest week of the year. And feel great!
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Looked at your notes and log... sounds like your PT's were giving you some good advice. I think it's not a good idea to try to make that January marathon you were looking at, but I'm sure you've figured that out by now. Wink I don't have much to add other than you've done a 6 mile week... without pain, right? Maybe make "run without pain" your short-to-mid-term goal or slogan? I'd personally err on the side of caution in increases just because of not wanting the injury to come back. As you do each weekly increase, keep tabs on how that leg & knee are feeling. Adjust appropriately. Recovery's not always a linear thing... ...and we runners tend to want to do so much more than we're ready for... Blush

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks for all the advice, "run without pain" will definately be my slogan. As far as the Jan marathon, that obviously isn't happening. I have a feeling the pain in the back of the knee won't be any better tomorrow, but we'll see. The 6 mile week was finished with a painful run. Oh well, we shall see what happens tomorrow.... Thanks again!