To miss or do in the morning. (Read 579 times)

Another probably pretty obvious queston to you experienced guys but here goes anyway. 

I increased my running from 3-4 days a week to a 5 day a week schedule. I have planned my schedule trying to consider things that would normally interfere with me getting my shoes on.  Work, kids commitments, you know the usual life in general.  Well tonight I have a banquet for my daughters hockey team that I have been coaching for a few years and I will have to skip my scheduled easy 5K. 

What I need to know is should I double up tomorrow?  Should I head out before work for my easy 5 and then my scheduled 6.2K after dinner.  I know its not a big difference but I'm still working up to a more substantial mileage difference.

Or should I just skip the 5 and call it a REALLY easy day?

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

This is a "tree" question. Running's about the forest.

The key to long term success in this sport is staying consistent without being obsessive. Hard to do. Strike the balance, go with the flow, be the ball. If you miss today, you run tomorrow. Somedays you get the bear, somedays the bear gets you. 

Generally speaking, trying to make up for missed workouts or sessions is a bad idea.

Feeling the growl again

Trying to "catch up" on a workout is a lot like trying to make up for missed sleep.  Sure, you can sleep more the next day, but it's not the same.  Missed is missed.

That said, experimenting with occasional doubles is not necessarily a bad idea.  Just don't do it thinking you are "making up" for not running the day before.  So in this case adding on all 5 miles as a double....which it sounds like you don't do much if at all...is probably excessive.  If you want to get out for a shorter morning run, and feel like it, go for it.  But not out of guilt for being a father the prior night.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ask my wife and she will tell you I tend to get a little obsessive. I will probably miss it as I think my legs are not ready for the mileage in one day. 

It's just that those little 5K easy days are my favourite.  Something about them makes me happy.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

If you have the time go for a 25-30 min walk in the morning and then run your normal run in the evening.  See if you feel better with that run than you'd otherwise will.  Not making up for the missed run, but will feed your obsessive side and maybe you'd discover something new.