Generic Prescript. costs = Name Brand...huh? (Read 1195 times)

Feeling the growl again

The "whole purpose" behind the patent monopoly in the US is not to reward inventors. 

I agree with you, if you read my entire statement and took it in its entirety rather than selecting this phrase out you say exactly what I said.  However you have to give inventors a reward or they would never have the incentive to file a patent and disclose what may otherwise be a trade secret no one would figure out easily and would therefore remain their domain in perpetuity.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

I sure hope all you asthma folk are using a spacer device when taking your albuterol.  Otherwise, the puffers are fairly useless across the board.

About 25-30 years ago when I was taking Alupent, my old school allergist had me make a paper funnel to use it. It worked great. I used it for a long time. I feel I have perfected the exhale, start to inhale, puff and continue to inhale system. It may not be 100% efficient but it works fine for me. I cringe when I see othesr just spray the stuff in their mouth not knowing how to breathe or do it correctly. At some point it is absorbed systemically but that isn't the purpose of the "fast acting" inhaler. You need to get it in your lungs.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The doc prescribes Albuterol so you can probably choose your source. It is the same active ingredient. I requested it from my pharmacy. You might want to check to see if your pharmacy has it and cost differences. It is worth the extra cost to me.

I'm going to do just that next time I refill.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

See now, zooms, the only useful thing I told you was that bit about boys will be boys, on accounta the fact that they will. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

"run" "2" "eat"

what the hell is a spacer? if i am exhaling then inhaling the albuterol, how can that be wrong?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The puffer squirts the stuff such that the best aerosol is about 3-4 inches from the nozzle.  That is, somewhere behind your palate.  The spacer allows the aerosol to form as it should, but then let you inhale easily and get the medicine into your lungs.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

See now, zooms, the only useful thing I told you was that bit about boys will be boys, on accounta the fact that they will. 

But it is useful...and true.  No matter how well-behaved we hope our kids will be, they will screw up at some point.  I was a good kid, but I was still no angel (and was lucky never to get caught).  Right now Dane enjoys calling us out when we swear (heh, it sure keeps him busy, some days).  He went through a phase for a while when his dad or I would have a beer, asking "are you guys getting drunk?"  He's never actually seen either of us drunk...but somehow got it into his head that drinking = drunk.  So we teach by example.  

I'd like if he at least waits until he is an adult to experiment with alcohol, but I don't think this is entirely realistic.  If he does experiment, I hope he will at least use common sense (ie never riding with someone who has been drinking, call us if he needs a ride, etc.).  We're going to have to learn more about the specific risks of alcohol + his meds. so that we can educate him on those issues.

I hope he never even considers trying cigarettes.  I never did...growing up with 2 smokers made smoking completely unattractive to me.  And Dane knows his grandpa nearly died from a smoking-related stroke a few years back...and that it took that stroke to finally make him quit.  He sees his grandma with borderline COPD and how sick that makes her.  He also deals with some of the same allergy issues that I do and I've explained to him that smoking would increase his allergy issues and risk of developing asthma.  None of our friends smoke, so in his world smoking is something "other" people do and the few smokers he does know have serious health issues.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

what the hell is a spacer? if i am exhaling then inhaling the albuterol, how can that be wrong?

This.  It's also effective if you need 2 inhalations to get the entire puff into your lungs.

~ Sarah Kay

"run" "2" "eat"

well, now, that just looks like a major pain in the ass.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I carry a relatively big purse and I'm thinking it looks like a PITA, especially if I'm driving along and need to use it.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not being able to breathe is a PITA too.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man, I wish Singulair had worked for me...  But, hey, did you see that recent news about a different cause of asthma than the leukotriene (sp?) thing?  Some smart doctor people recently found something else that could potentially be treated with a pill, like Singulair.  I'm interested to see what that amounts to, though I don't hold out any hope that we'll see anything any time soon.

~ Sarah Kay

I believe it's the gentleman's face. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Think of it as altitude training.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes.  I do.  Sadly, all too often.