Generic Prescript. costs = Name Brand...huh? (Read 1195 times)

xor

At least for now...it took over 2 years for another steady generic manufacturer to hit the market with Protonix, so don't hold your breath!

There's one I know.

Generic pharma companies either manufacture the med or contract out its manufacture.  If Watson could do it in-house, they would ... so either (a) they can't duplicate Concerta's particular efficacy profile (i.e., can't make a truly generic Conerta) or (b) it's less costly in the long run for them to contract out to J&J to have it made.

And speak of the devil:

Watson announced that it has launched generic Concerta via its Watson Laboratories Inc.

Concerta is the brand name for methylphenidate hydrochloride extended release tablet which has been approve as treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children whose age range from 6 to 7 and in adults whose age range from 18 to 65.  Concerta is to be used in conjunction with other treatment program such as counseling or other therapies.

The launch was expected as it was part of the exclusive agreement that Watson has signed with Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals in November 2010.  Under the term of the agreement, Watson is allowed to market generic Conerta while OMJP will manufacture and be a sole supplier of Watson's generic Concerta for the following dosages: 18 mg, 27 mg, 36 mg and 54 mg.  The agreement is to last until the end of 2014.  OMJP will be entitled to receive the net sales from the product.

Under the term of the agreement, Watson is free to file an ANDA for Concerta during the time in which the exclusive agreement remains effective (which is until the end of 2014).  After which, Watson is free to launch its own generic Concerta.

In 2004, OMJP has filed a Citizen Petition to request all generic version of Concerta to demonstrate similar onset of efficacy and duration of effective compared to the branded Concerta.  The FDA is currently reviewing the petition but it is not to impact the launch of Watson's Generic Concerta.

MTA: There were two US patents to Concerta.  Only one was invalidated.  (Invalidity was affirmed by the appellate court in April 2010, but OMJP petitioned to the Supreme Court.  I didn't see what the ultimate outcome was.)  So there's still a valid US patent on Concerta.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So...if I read that right, we can expect to pay full price through 2014...so generic really isn't generic, at this point.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

They are not free.  Your patients are paying for them.

We don't get those either.

I would not leap to the assumption that price and the budget for lunches are linked. If this were true, the price would go down if they went away. Did you notice a drop when all those pens and post its went away? So in a way they are free. Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Money's gotta come from somewhere...

Lunches fall under SG&A and are not part of the cost of goods sold, so do not directly affect the price of the product--obviously at some level overhead has an impact on prices, eventually, but the connection is not always clear.  Since the purpose of the lunches is to influence sales, lowering entertainment expenses (which lunches fall under) will also result in lower sales, theoretically.  You could argue that getting rid of lunches and schwag might actually cause the per-unit price of a drug to go up, not down.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, except that very often, the medications being hocked via lunches and golf tours are the new pricey ones that are not proven to be any better in the real world than the existing, less expensive drugs.  If I prescribe levaquin for a strep infection, the patient is not going to get any more better than if I prescribe amoxicillin.  But the levaquin will cost some 23 times more to the patient (and the healthcare system).  There is a levaquin rep. There is not an amox rep.

Well now you're comparing the price of two different products.

Bottom line is the only way to fix healthcare is with nukes.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well now you're comparing the price of two different products.

True.  A big part of the lunches is to get folks to be irrational and choose the more expensive of two equal products.

Bottom line is the only way to fix healthcare is with nukes.

True.

Feeling the growl again

Money's gotta come from somewhere...

The fact that 99% of US currency has cocaine on it does not mean that I am taking illicit drug profits out of the ATM. There are many ways to establish the price of a product. In most cases your assumption that selling expenses are part of the equation here is incorrect.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

True.  A big part of the lunches is to get folks to be irrational and choose the more expensive of two equal products.

True.

Assuming people will be rational to begin with is a big assumption.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with it, but since I can't prescribe anything yet, I eat guilt-free. Smile

But on a more serious note, I don't see this in this hospitals, just in the private primary care offices. Those doctors are also the ones who keep their (usually uninsured) patients supplied with free samples from the pharm reps so that they don't have to buy any meds. It's a strange circle. It ain't right, but it's how a lot of healthcare is done here where the unemployment/uninsured rates are sky-high. No wonder everyone is so jaded...

But anyhow, i'm DONNNNEEE with MD1! Big grinBig grinBig grin

i think i'll go for a run.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In most cases your assumption that selling expenses are part of the equation here is incorrect.

The money to pay for lunches and golf trips has to come from somewhere.

Whether eliminating that cost will reduce drug prices is a different question.

SMART Approach

.......Since the purpose of the lunches is to influence sales

The purpose is to educate docs and nursing staff on new studies, indications, new contraindications, pipeline, differentiate from the competitors. They are very valuable to docs Wink

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Feeling the growl again

The money to pay for lunches and golf trips has to come from somewhere.

Whether eliminating that cost will reduce drug prices is a different question.

If the price is not affected the it is misleading to day patients are paying for it, unless you say they paid for your car and everything you own because part of their medical bills went to your salary. Golf trips?? Dude you are usually way more informed. Your bashing can't even be taken seriously if you keep referring to practices broadly banned years ago. Maybe you should have a rep come gives you a lunch and walk through PhRMA code. Wink