Goo, gel, and all things sticky... (Read 1434 times)

JakeKnight

I'm not sure where the myth of GUs having caffeine in them come from. Maybe it's a rumor started by Power Gel or something. Some flavors of Gu do have caffeine. Checking out www.gusports.com shows that the following flavors do have caffeine: Vanilla Bean Choclate Outrage Tri Berry Espresso Love I don't do caffeine because of my heart issues. I use Gu Banana and Lemon Sublime because they don't have caffeine. The Gu flavors *without* caffeine say No Caffeine on the front. The ones with caffeine don't usually mention it on the label. Teresa
    Espresso Love says "Double Caffeine" (actually I think its "2x Caffeine") right on the front - and they ain't kidding. As far as I know, they all say it. Right on the front of the pack, right beneath where you tear it open. Same place that strawberry-banana says "no caffeine."

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, let me settle the caffeine/no-caffeine issue. I have in front of me a box of 24 packets of GU--3ea. of 8 flavors: Just Plain - w/caffeine Espresso Love - 2x caffeine Vanilla Bean - w/caffeine Chocolate Outrage - w/caffeine Strawberry Banana - no caffeine Tri-Berry - w/caffeine Lemon Sublime - no caffeine Orange Burst - w/caffeine So the only ones that don't have caffeine are the Strawberry Banana and the Lemon Sublime.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

So Espresso is the only one with 2x caffeine? For some reason I had thought chocolate was double caffeine, too. Good to know. Explains why it's my favorite, too.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I haven't tried the Espresso one, yet. I love coffee, but only HOT. Not sure I will like that GU, or not. Does it really have a noticeable boost with the double caffeine? k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I haven't tried the Espresso one, yet. I love coffee, but only HOT. Not sure I will like that GU, or not. Does it really have a noticeable boost with the double caffeine? k
            Based on no science at all? Definitely. Or maybe it's all in my head. But that 2x Caffeine is why I tried them, and why I stick with them. Even if it's all mental. On pure taste, I'd take the chocolate instead.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like the chocolate...kinda reminds me of brownie batter. But I think my faves so far are the fruit flavors. I really like the banana and the tri-berry. k

~ Sarah Kay

I echo the comments about tri-berry. Vanilla is also good...

Imminent Catastrophe

Clif Shot Bloks also have caffeine in some flavors--orange, cola, cran-razz, black cherry. Yes, I've definitely noticed a boost that was very welcome at mile 22. Also, Margarita flavor has extra electrolytes hence tastes kind of nasty (salty) to some people. I like them better than gooey gels. Sport beans also have extra electrolytes (over plain jellybeans) and are easy to carry and eat.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I tried the Lemon Sublime GU this weekend and, thus far, it's my least favorite. No caffeine, either. I think I prefer the ones with buzzzz.... Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I heart Cran Razz Cliff Shot Bloks!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

madness baby

I realized this weekend that there is a limit to how many shot bloks one can eat on a long race. Bring variety, that's my recommendation. Wink
                        deb
                        va

Jill_B

I fly.

Along time ago I took a running class tought by Shelly Glover (and her husband). She knows a lot about running.

Bring it on.

Has anyone tried Sharkies? I found these at REI and they taste great and are easier to eat than the shot blocks. Not sure how beneficial they are though.

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Great article, Val123! I've shared it with my running group. Thanks for sharing.