How accurate is my Garmin? (Read 2184 times)

Gig

It seems like most races don't measure out to that they're suppose to be. I ran a 5K last year that wa a PR for just about everyone. According to my Garmin, the "5K" was 2.75 miles. That's pretty extreme, plus with so many personal bests on a pretty hilly course, I assume the course was off. Today I ran a marathon that measured out to be 26.47 miles. I didn't ask anyone at the finish, but durning the race, my Garmin was agreeing with those of other runners. So, it makes me wonder, are Garmins really that accurate? What are your thoughts?
    ymmv

I often convert my Garmin data (using this site) and upload it to mapmyrun.com (here are my courses.) Sometimes, I convert the Garmin data to display in Google Earth. In either case, I typically see jags in the Garmin course where the tracking was not accurate. Its usually due to tall buildings or bridges. Check the map for my 'lower manhattan' run for an extreme example of this. Also, my Baltimore Marathon Garmin course shows some big variations around mile 6. Urban canyons were probably not the cause in your Rehohoth Marathon, but if you transfer your Garmin data to a mapping site, you might see where it went off course.

Imminent Catastrophe

It's a combination of small inaccuracies which add up over the course of the race and your individual track (you don't run exactly the course that they measured but probably zig and zag a bit). Anyway, 26.47 is just 1% off and that's not too bad.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

an amazing likeness

We recently had a discussion of this topic here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/246f275e5a6a4ddcb3b2ec7b7c9145bd Your Garmin is very accurate. None of us run the exact measurement line of the course. The two factors add up to the difference in length recorded. You can argue which is the greater cause, GPS or runner. Good luck with that.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I know this post is suppose to be about Garmin, but...... 2.75 Miles on a 5K race?? That kind of stuff pisses me off. I think the race organizer has a responsibility to be reasonable about the race distance. I ran one recently that measured 2.93 which is 3.2% off. This is not acceptable from my point given all the technology that is available today for measuring courses.

Ryan

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I saw a lot of Rehoboth runners not running the tangents -- which means they were running further than the measured course (in all probability).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It seems like most races don't measure out to that they're suppose to be. I ran a 5K last year that wa a PR for just about everyone. According to my Garmin, the "5K" was 2.75 miles. That's pretty extreme, plus with so many personal bests on a pretty hilly course, I assume the course was off. Today I ran a marathon that measured out to be 26.47 miles. I didn't ask anyone at the finish, but durning the race, my Garmin was agreeing with those of other runners. So, it makes me wonder, are Garmins really that accurate? What are your thoughts?
                Be sure to check the links on the recent discussion. 26.47 miles is only 0.96% long compared to marathon length. This is perfectly reasonable, especially since most runners go longer than the course due to tangents. However, 2.75 miles is 11.5% short, which is clearly an error in course layout, especially if everyone was setting PR's.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Did your 5K go under anything that could have obstructed the Garmin? In my first half, I lost signal while running on a bridge, so my mileage was off even though the course was accurate.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Best Present Ever

This isn't about race course accuracy but Garmin accuracy -- My garmin did the weirdest thing this morning. After I ran, i was looking at it for the total time, distance and pace so I could log the info. It said I ran about 6.9 miles which seemed right, about a 9:35 pace, which seemed about right, and about 1:35:00 for total time. What? When I looked at the laps (I have it set to autolap each mile), the first lap was 25+ mins, for 0 miles at a 0 pace. The rest of the laps seemed right. It's not a big deal, but anyone have a thought about what could have caused it? I know I didn't have it on for 25 minutes at a standstill. First, I drove 20 miles to the track, got out right away, and started running. Second, I have the autopause turned on, so it should have stopped if it thought I wasn't moving.

Imminent Catastrophe

Was it locked on to the satellites?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

flatland mountaineer

First, I drove 20 miles to the track, got out right away, and started running. .
                        as perfessor said you probably weren't locked on yet especially given the 20 mile drive as it probably took it a little more time to autolocate. You can go into screens that show the number of sats in the mix and estimated accuracy(static). Static accuracy should be sub meter (at best) with a waas based unit like this. the 205's and 305's have that sirf chipset to minimize loss of signal due to trees , bldgs, mtns etc.. If you have a clear sky view on the race course you are gonna be dang close. The gps we use on our farm equip on a daily basis has pass to pass accuracy of 4 inches with a $1600/ YR subscription to a proprietary correction (John Deere sf2) but its a little big to strap on your wrist. Wink

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Best Present Ever

as perfessor said you probably weren't locked on yet especially given the 20 mile drive as it probably took it a little more time to autolocate. You can go into screens that show the number of sats in the mix and estimated accuracy(static). Static accuracy should be sub meter (at best) with a waas based unit like this. the 205's and 305's have that sirf chipset to minimize loss of signal due to trees , bldgs, mtns etc.. If you have a clear sky view on the race course you are gonna be dang close. The gps we use on our farm equip on a daily basis has pass to pass accuracy of 4 inches with a $1600/ YR subscription to a proprietary correction (John Deere sf2) but its a little big to strap on your wrist. Wink
                          i run from the same location for about half my runs and it never takes long to locate. the satellite was locked on -- i didn't lose any of my actual run (i think i did run a little under 7 miles), it just added 25 minutes of non-running. And I didn't turn it on until i got to the track anyway. The most likely story, I've decided upon much deep reflection, is that the 25 minutes were there from before the run (maybe I'd left it on the last time I pulled it out to enter my data? and accidently hit start while it was sitting still on my desk?) and i didn't clear it before this run. And I think I should probably spend less time obsessing about the numbers on that damn screen! And thanks for the tip on the better GPS -- given that i just saw in a recent race photo what a dork i look like with my giant 205 strapped to my wrist, i think i shouldn't consider even larger versions : )

an amazing likeness

I'll guess that your Forerunner didn't get reset after your last session and the time added was from start being pressed without the Forerunner moving to record any distance. So it just adds time to the event. I used to do this every now and then when I took it off after walking into the house after a run, so now I always hit reset when I'm walking my cool down.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.