Eating after a run (Read 735 times)

I know that I've read you should eat following a run, but I rarely do. I typically run at night, after dinner and my kids have gone to bed. By the time I hit the shower, its typically close to 10pm, and I'm just not hungry. I usually wake up pretty hungry in the morning though. How important is it that I actually eat following a run, and what are the benefits?

The Greatest of All Time

The short answer is yes, definitely. I know Trent will chime in here as well, but the 60 minute post work-out window is the best time to replenish your body as it makes the best use of what you feed it during this period (assuming you don't feed it crap). The rate of glycogen replinishment is at its highest level after you workout. Also muscles are more sensitive to insulin after a good workout and therefore if the proper nutrients are consumed, protein replinishment to damaged muscle tissue is also at its highest level. But, this is me being very technical and based on how I train. If you just run 2 or 3 miles at an easy pace, it's not such a big deal to eat right after your run. However, if you run long or hard, then it becomes of greater importance.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

< chime="" />How far do you run. How frequently do you run. Can you make your log public so we can see and offer advice specific to your training? < hime="" />
          < chime="" />How far do you run. How frequently do you run. Can you make your log public so we can see and offer advice specific to your training? < hime="" />
          I actually keep my log on another website (Nike +) so I can see if I can figure out how to link it. Basically though, I run 4 nights a week (M-TH) about 4-5 miles, with a long run on Saturday.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I used to use Nike. I don't anymore. It was too slow, locked down and proprietary feeling. With that running, your probably need to eat something. Can you drink a smoothie? Warm milk would also be particularly good, or Hot Cocoa with a milk base. That will help you recover and relax.

The Greatest of All Time

I used to use Nike. I don't anymore. It was too slow, locked down and proprietary feeling. With that running, your probably need to eat something. Can you drink a smoothie? Warm milk would also be particularly good, or Hot Cocoa with a milk base. That will help you recover and relax.
              Trent, tell the poster about the milk you get from the Amish farmer.... Tongue
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Milk is not my thing Dead But I could probably do some juice or a smoothie. But what if I don't eat/drink. Am I doing myself harm? I'd also like to lose about 20 more pounds (already down 20) and I hate to negate all that hard work by consuming calories. And I LOVE Nike +. maybe because I'm lazy - I just plug in the iPod, and it does the work for me. I also love the great graphs it creates. Guess I could enter my stuff on the log here too . . . nah. Too much work.
                  You're not going to gain any weight from anything you eat in that 60 minute window directly following a run because it's all being used by your body to recover. I am a strong advocate of ingesting something directly after a run, whether it's a recovery drink, chocolate milk, a bowl of cereal, a guinness or whatever, it is up to you. That's my two cents. Jarrod
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Running 5 miles burns about 600-700 calories. You could eat just 100-200 and still have a net loss. If milk does not do it for you and ice cream or cheese are no good, you may consider a banana. By not eating anything, you are not likely to do any damage, but you delay your recovery. Beer is good too.
                      Beer is good too.
                      I agree completely. I also hear that it works as a recovery drink. Big grin

Old, Slow, Happy

I understand that protein is the important thing to ingest after a run. I am a soccer coach so I run after procatice. I usually get done about 8:00. I eat my last meal of the day after that. It does affect my sleeping. I would recommend that you have some nuts, hummus and whole grain bread, or other protein. By the way, I'm Mennonite and I drink Mennonite milk. I'm guessing that Trent buys direct from the farm. Meaning that the milk is chilled, but not pastuerized. That milk is way better for you and does not affect many people who have lactose intolerance.
                          I enjoy a cold fat free yogurt, after a run. Its just perfect while I cool down. Look out for the sugar content, i recommend any of the fruit in the bottom cascade fresh brand.