The importance, prevention and treatment of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) (Read 236 times)

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

J-L-C

When I was a teenager and in my early twenties, I never thought it made much of a difference. But now in my late twenties I've found that 12-16grams of whey powder after a hard run with some fruit juice or milk is absolutely INCREDIBLE for recovery.

I have been really, really surprised by it. More so than any other activity (stretching, rolling, icing)  I do or supplement I take. I first tried it two-three months ago when I was super, super sore for two days in a row and after taking it the soreness was almost 100% gone the next day. Since then after workouts I just don't get that soreness and seem to really snap back a lot more quickly.

There are some recent studies that may support the benefit of ice baths.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/two-studies-back-benefits-ice-baths

The situation is complicated... you have to be careful about what you're actually trying to measure. I skim-read the link and it seems they're just trying to measure effects in the very short term.

There was an interesting study last year (I'm afraid I don't remember where I read it) which said essentially that ice baths definitely helped with short term recovery, but hindered the gains you make to fitness as part of the natural recovery process after a hard work out.

So the conclusion was use them when you have several races in quick succession and you need in good shape for each - think going through the rounds of the Olympics or something, or else a multi-day event - but not as part of your normal training routine.

Of course the situation for injury recovery is different, although then the usual advice is to ice the affected area, rather than jump in an ice bath.