I need to turn it all around. (Read 220 times)

Doonga

Hello all, I'm 50 and overweight by about 30 lbs. I started running about 2 years ago and got decent results but slacked off when my wife bought me a gym membership last year for winter, I liked the weights better than running on the tread mill and though I appreciated my membership, I again slacked off of that for the last six months. So, my life is of out of sync big time, in a negative rut, and I have to hit it hard again for my  health and well being. I know running and nutrition is the answer. Sorry, I just needed to vent. I'm looking forward to reading all the posts and knowledge here to help get my life back on track. Thanks, Dave.

jfa

Take it a day at a time Dave.

Some workouts will go well, others not so well.

Stay consistent and you will get results.

kilkee

runktrun

I hear ya.  Even in the midst of generally running well, I will still feel like I'm in a rut and doing it all wrong.  Just keep in mind that you can't turn things around completely over night.  Don't go out and hammer 20 x 400 workout or something ridiculous thinking you can kick your own ass back in shape.  You'll just burn out and get discouraged.  Try to make it a game with incremental goals to keep you engaged.  e.g. Try to add 2mins to every run over the course of a week. If you're stuck treadmill running because of weather, break up your treadmill time into segments with quick bike intervals between for a long overall workout time.  I would encourage you to avoid the gym as much as possible and just force yourself to run outside, no option to "slack" and go to the gym and only hit the weights and skip the TM.  I also am an advocate of daily weigh-ins, so long as you are not obsessed.  I weigh myself almost daily just to see where I am.  It's another number and bit of data and helps me catch an upward trend before it gets bad .  You got this.  Just make small changes and small commitments and enjoy the transformation, albeit slow.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

runmichigan

There are three primary components to any weight loss program (in my opinion):

(1) Cardio - You can do this by running outside or on a treadmill 30 to 60 minutes at a time.  While many people recommended training in the fat burning zone, more recent studies have shown that interval type workouts tend to elevate the metabolism more and keep it elevated for longer periods of time.

(2) Weight lifting - Lifting weights a few times a week will build muscle mass and will burn more calories.

(3) Nutrition - Reducing or eliminating soda and other junk food.  Drinking water and eating healthier, less calorie dense foods will result in an overall reduction in the number of calories consumed.  You do not want to do a massive calorie reduction because this will put the body in more of a survival mode.

Working all three together will result in a gradual healthy weight loss.  Shoot for one to two pounds a week, but do not give up if you plateau at some point.

redleaf

I'm going through the same thing. Then add in thoughts like "man, I should have started doing X, Y, Z, months or at least weeks ago."

My husband is pretty supportive though, and said to me "yep, you should have. AND rather than think the same thing a few weeks from now, start today"

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

What's that saying, a year from now you'll wish you had started today? Smile

Doonga

Thanks everyone, your input is much appreciated and starting to get me fired up. I know it's in me, and I just have to reach inside to make it happen. Again, Thank you. Dave.

Joann Y

A number of years ago I found this post helpful... creating the fitness habit.  Even though I now find this guy and his website kind of annoying, this particular post stuck in my mind as a good general approach to habit change, esp when it all seems to be just too much.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A number of years ago I found this post helpful... creating the fitness habit.  Even though I now find this guy and his website kind of annoying, this particular post stuck in my mind as a good general approach to habit change, esp when it all seems to be just too much.

I like what he says about developing fitness (running, healthy eating, etc.) as a habit.  It works for me; I broke my running habit only three days in the last 779.  It helps to be a bit future-focused, that is, how will I feel an hour or two after this run? or conversely, how will I feel an hour or two after pigging out on barbecue and beer?  Don't get me wrong, I like the latter, but when thinking about how I'll feel in the hours after each, running wins, hands down.  I like feeling strong and happy, and running does that for me.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

You've had plenty of good advice here, but I wanted to add two things:

• Small, achievable goals.  It's not bad to have a long term goal like pounds lost or marathon finished, but it's not ideal with respect to motivation.  So find a smaller goal that's about the process (e.g., running three times a week for a month) rather than the end result.
                      • Measure progress in multiple ways.  This is more commonly a problem for women, since so much "health" advice focuses on weight loss alone, but even men plateau.  It is much easier to deal with a stubborn five pounds of weight not dropping if you can also see your deadlift improving or your race times dropping or your waist size decreasing.  So if you have a tendency to get discouraged, give yourself multiple avenues in which to judge your progress.

Good luck!

onefatchick

I have to hit it hard again for my  health and well being. I know running and nutrition is the answer.

I am female and 57 years old.  I know quite a bit about struggling with a weight issue and being in a rut.  I was 50+ pounds over weight for ~ 25 years, from my mid 20s to early 50s, and alcoholic.   Quitting my addiction to drinking almost 15 years ago helped me lose ~20 pounds in the first couple of months, still leaving me 30+ pounds overweight.  Swimming and weight workouts never touched those 30+ pounds.

A couple of years ago I finally lost most of the excess (except for the last 5 pounds which I am still working on).    I managed to lose the 30 pounds all in the span of about 4 months without starvation.  In all my previous attempts I had tried "hitting it hard" and being strict with the diet but could never stick to any diet longer than a couple of weeks as I was always starving and cranky and felt totally deprived.  What finally worked for me was to change what I ate.  I followed a diet that was low in carbohydrates, higher in (good) fats and moderate in protein.  I eliminated most processed convenience food, sweets, bread, starchy vegetables like potatoes, pasta and snacks like Fritos,  Cheetos and potato chips.  I won't lie--the first couple of days were the hardest as I was totally addicted to sugar, salty snacks and simple carbs (used to eat spaghetti at least three-four  times a week cause I totally loved pasta), but once I got over the addiction, things really started happening.  Today my diet consists of a "green" juice for breakfast (spinach, green pepper, carrots, kale, granny smith apple and cucumber--sounds awful-- but I promise you it is delicious!), often with four to six hard boiled eggs (salted of course! and not IN the juice), or sometimes yogurt with oat bran, berries, chia seeds or hemp and toasted almonds.  For lunch it's generally a big salad with either chicken, shrimp, or bacon and more hard boiled eggs and some almonds.  For a snack after a workout I like a whey based protein shake made with almond milk and most days will also have several handfuls of cashews.  For dinner I usually eat a hamburger or two, or some ham or grilled chicken or grilled Italian sausage, always with cheese and usually some type of grilled vegetables like peppers and onions.  By eliminating the simple carbs and processed foods I eat a pretty good quantity of food and I do not feel deprived, starving or cranky--for me this has been the key to my success.  Some folks call this the "paleo" or "primal" way of eating.  If anyone is interested, a good place to learn more is here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2fEggUPmZ  The guy, Mark Sisson, is a former Ironman triathlete.

Oh, my username? Just a reminder of what I'm never going back to....  And FWIW today I am 5'4", 130 pounds and 23% body fat according to a Homedic scale. Have maintained that for well over two years now.  Still stay away from the simple carbs, sugars and processed foods, but will still have some dark chocolate.  Sometimes I just don't think giving up the chocolate is worth it just to lose the last five pounds, but maybe for my half marathon in the spring....

All About that Pace 2024

Hi Dave-

The best advice I can give you after me losing 35 pounds over time was you need to run with people.  Find your local RRCA running club (www.rrca.org) and get involved.  You will usually find very nice people who have the same "addiction".  I almost never run by myself and it doesn't seem as hard to do when there is company.

Good luck.  Make short term running goals. Share them and then complete them.  Don't worry as much about the weight.  Look for time on feet. Look for time outside.  Look for miles.  Look for shared runs.

Just my humble advice.

Joann Y

I like what he says about developing fitness (running, healthy eating, etc.) as a habit.  It works for me; I broke my running habit only three days in the last 779.  It helps to be a bit future-focused, that is, how will I feel an hour or two after this run? or conversely, how will I feel an hour or two after pigging out on barbecue and beer?  Don't get me wrong, I like the latter, but when thinking about how I'll feel in the hours after each, running wins, hands down.  I like feeling strong and happy, and running does that for me.

What I like is how he emphasizes one thing at a time. And do that for a while. And make it something you can actually accomplish. And then, when that feels normal, add one more thing, do that for a while, etc.

My two cents - the key is to start where you are now, and to have the attitude that this is a long term lifestyle change, not a "whip yourself into shape" change. You didn't become unfit in a year and you won't undo years of damage in a year either.  If you're in it for the long haul, it's a lot easier to set realistic goals.

Starting where you are now, pick one thing to work on for the next month. Calories you drink are usually low hanging fruit.  What calorie filled beverage can you cut down on?  Can you nurse just one beer during the football game?  Eat an orange instead of that glass of OJ?  Eliminate sodas except for pizza Friday?  Lots of options, just pick one and try to stick with it for a month.  My first step was measuring the creamer I put in my coffee, and slowly reducing it.

You may find there are some foods that are too tempting to binge on, so you just have to eliminate entirely, but a lot of things you can turn into "special occasion foods" without superhuman effort.  Next month, pick something else.  Get your family on board if possible, so you can support each other.

On the exercise side, the first thing to do is just create the habit.  The best way to do this is to schedule the exercise ahead of time.  Put it on your calendar.  Tell your family.  Make it a priority.  Get a buddy to do it with you if possible.  Start easy.  Maybe a couch to 5K program. This is a lifestyle change, and it won't work if you start by running 10 miles tomorrow and then have to nurse a shin splint the rest of January.

I started walking about 2 years ago, and running about 18 months ago.  I've lost 30 pounds, slowly and steadily, over that time.  I've got another 35-40 to go.  Sure, I wish it went faster, but it's more important to me that I haven't regressed.  I've not had significant injuries, I've kept running, and I've kept the weight I've lost off.  I still eat too much junk, but much less than I used to, and I've learned to like several vegetables I'd never heard of two years ago.

I guess that was more like fifty cents.   Good luck.

TripleBock

We have times of trials.  I used to "Hit it big time".  I have tried to hit it big time the last 18 months and since my body does not allow this anymore, I keep failing and quiting.  This time I am trying to just take each day as it comes and do good things for my body each day.  Being consistent, but not "Big time" in my effort.

I am trying to mix weights, stretching, racketball, volleyball and downhill skiing with my running.  When we get more snow, I will add a little cross country skiing and snow shoeing.  But running is the constant - At least a little each day or at least 5-6 times a week.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock