New Marathon with Boston +30 qualifying standard (Seacoast NH) (Read 224 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There is another marathon in RI with the same sort of idea...the Exeter (old name?) / Gansett marathon.  Here's the qualifying info page.

Their qualifying standard is actually tougher than BQ, at least for my AG.

an amazing likeness

Their qualifying standard is actually tougher than BQ, at least for my AG.

My (somewhat vague) recollection is that was their intent...it was a 'back to basics marathon for fast people' race who were growing less fond of the hoopla in Boston.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to limit the field to people who've proven, "they're capable of attempting to qualify for Boston." Plenty of people qualify for Boston in their first marathon, for example. 

Perhaps. But, there's plenty more people who don't qualify for Boston in their first marathon, and who have to work really, really hard over several races and several years to get there. For those of us in that category, a race focusing on us strokes our usually unstroked egos. 

So, whether or not the limited field is a marketing schtick or even makes sense from a racing point of view, I don't know or really care. I wouldn't do this event because the website is pretty bad. As I mentioned above, it took me four clicks to figure out even where this race was located. And if you can't clearly tell me where this race is, rightly or wrongly, I'm not terribly confident in the rest of your operation.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

CT JEFF

Im more than 30 min away from my BQ, but getting closer each race. I wouldnt be interested in this if I was on the high end of BQ. What if I had a bad day? What if it was 90 out? What if it was 30 and snowing out? (this is New England). I can understand working with what you're dealt. Road Closing Time Factor can be a big issue. And good for them for find a way to market that limitation as a positive.

But no, even if I was closer to BQ I wouldnt be interested in a new (unproven) race set up like this. I did one race where the listed cutoff was 6 hrs, due to an injury I was still there at 5:30- they were pushing people to finish up and had other people trying to cross the track. It was clear that 6 hours wasnt even an option. The DJ left after 5 hrs. I was very disappointed this race because I had trained well, but it all fell apart on race day. I imagine this race is setting itself up for some negative experiences.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I would run it if it were in my neck of the woods. The no pavement is the most interesting part. The knee does not care for 26.2 miles of speed on pavement. The Disney theme parks were not fun. All concrete.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I would definitely think of it as a motivator...especially because my PRs are pretty close to those standards (4 minutes for the half and 8 minutes for the full).

There is a race in my area for people looking for a last-minute chance to BQ that has a 4:40 time limit.  It's called Chasing the Unicorn, and it's in August.  While I have heard of people who have no chance of BQ'ing running it, my PW is way too close to that time limit.  Beside, the race states that it's more meant for people who "have a realistic chance of qualifying".  I do not fall into that category right now.

bap

I think there is a demand for more marathons with minimum qualifying standards. There's nostalgia for the days when marathons were races, with average times in the low 3s, rather than bucket list events.

There's nothing more insulting to a runner who takes marathons seriously, than being given a "finisher" medal or t-shirt.

Believe it or not, hey were handing out finisher t-shirts at the Berlin Marathon Expo.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

elodie.kaye

I can't claim nostalgia; I do think there's demand for races that acknowledge performance beyond simply finishing, but short of placing.  For example, Around the Bay gives graduated coloured medals for increasing finishing times.  Another local race offers lockers as an amenity for early registration.  That would make a nice perk for a qualifying time.  My ego is already too big to be stroked by the privilege of paying for a race that doesn't sell out, and fails to distinguish itself except by arbitrarily excluding runners.  (Time limits for drawbridges maybe cool, road closures... meh.)

Feeling the growl again

I think there is a demand for more marathons with minimum qualifying standards. There's nostalgia for the days when marathons were races, with average times in the low 3s, rather than bucket list events.

There's nothing more insulting to a runner who takes marathons seriously, than being given a "finisher" medal or t-shirt.

Believe it or not, hey were handing out finisher t-shirts at the Berlin Marathon Expo.

The rub is that the race has to have something that is coveted beyond just qualifying for it.  By qualifying for Boston, you get to be part of an event with a long storied history.  Even as a comparatively faster marathoner I'm not so sure I'd be drawn to Po Dunk Marathon simply because it puts aggressive qualifying standards in place.  The race has to have something to offer for meeting those standards.

Perhaps there are those for which meeting some standard is enough, but it's not me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm not at all insulted by finishing medals, or shirts, and I like to think I take some marathons seriously.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

If the first statement is true, why do you think there aren't more? Usually when there's truly a demand for something, a supply is created.

Regarding the second statement, it seems bold to speak for all "serious" runners, without having proven this is the consensus opinion. The only scientific way to do this is of course an RA poll.

Dave

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I'm not at all insulted by finishing medals, or shirts, and I like to think I take some marathons seriously.

+1

i agree. It's just a momento of the event. If you don't like them, don't take them. I admit that I sometimes pick a 5k based on what the shirt looks like. Silly? Yes. But so what. When there is a half dozen events on a weekend, sometimes it's the little things that make me pick one over another.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Agreed. If we start setting a "time" where someone is worthy of a race, the majority of us on this forum wouldn't make the cut.

I can't claim nostalgia; I do think there's demand for races that acknowledge performance beyond simply finishing, but short of placing.  For example, Around the Bay gives graduated coloured medals for increasing finishing times.  Another local race offers lockers as an amenity for early registration.  That would make a nice perk for a qualifying time.  My ego is already too big to be stroked by the privilege of paying for a race that doesn't sell out, and fails to distinguish itself except by arbitrarily excluding runners.  (Time limits for drawbridges maybe cool, road closures... meh.)

We have a local 10k where you have to win the shirt by finishing in the top quarter to third of your age group.  They have a very efficient process.  They allocate shirts to AGs based on proportion of last years finishers, the bibs are marked with your AG and volunteers at the finish have corresponding popsicle sticks that are distributed as runners finish.

It's in August on a Thursday evening, and you better believe the possibility of winning a shirt this year influenced my decision to sign up for that punishment again. Based on last year's results and my goal time, I've got a shot at one, but it'll be close.  As a mid packer, it's nice to have a real reason to race, as opposed to just doing a time trial.

Village people

We have a local 10k where you have to win the shirt by finishing in the top quarter to third of your age group.  They have a very efficient process.  They allocate shirts to AGs based on proportion of last years finishers, the bibs are marked with your AG and volunteers at the finish have corresponding popsicle sticks that are distributed as runners finish.

It's in August on a Thursday evening, and you better believe the possibility of winning a shirt this year influenced my decision to sign up for that punishment again. Based on last year's results and my goal time, I've got a shot at one, but it'll be close.  As a mid packer, it's nice to have a real reason to race, as opposed to just doing a time trial.

What race is that?