One year ago... (Read 459 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

December 17, 2006. Our friend Maritza, from DW's Women's running club, ran in the Jacksonville Marathon, trying for a BQ. Her husband Ron, whom we had not met, ran the half marathon. Maritza was on pace for her BQ when she was intercepted by race officials at mile 21. Ron had collapsed just after crossing the finish line. By the time she reached the hospital he had passed away. He was 48 years old. We're just thinking about her today.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that is so sad. This past year must have been so difficult for her. How is she doing? What a young man... Sad

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh how sad, that is just terrible.

Michelle

December 17, 2006. Our friend Maritza, from DW's Women's running club, ran in the Jacksonville Marathon, trying for a BQ. Her husband Ron, whom we had not met, ran the half marathon. Maritza was on pace for her BQ when she was intercepted by race officials at mile 21. Ron had collapsed just after crossing the finish line. By the time she reached the hospital he had passed away. He was 48 years old. We're just thinking about her today.
          I'm so sorry. What happened? A heart attack?

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, it was a heart attack. Maritza later said that Ron had recently taken a treadmill stress test and was OK. The strange thing is that DW and I had just run the Tucson Marathon two weeks before that and she had talked with Maritza about how a very fit ultrarunner, Marc Witkes, had collapsed and died at the finish line of Tucson. Then a week later it happened to Ron. Now, with what happened to Ryan Shay at the Olympic trials, this might get a lot more attention.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016