What to do post chafing? (Read 2840 times)

I know what I could have done to prevent it, but I just wasn't thinking today. Now my underarms are RED and hurt! I am sure somethings I might try could make it worse, what will make it better? Next time I won't forget the body glide...

http://www.runningnotes.net

Giant Flaming Dork

The only thing that I've tried that works is vaseline. I've used it for "between the legs" chafing. It odesn't make the healing go faster, but it does make it a bit more tolerable...

http://xkcd.com/621/

jeffdonahue

I actually find that Gold Bond midicated cream helps a lot - be aware that when you apply it to the chaffed area, it is going to HURT A LOT. But I definitely think it helsp you to heal up a faster.
        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I actually find that Gold Bond midicated cream helps a lot - be aware that when you apply it to the chaffed area, it is going to HURT A LOT. But I definitely think it helsp you to heal up a faster.
          +1 on Gold Bond, although I prefer the powder instead. Easier to wipe off if you put too much on, or if it's hurting too much. If it hurts initially, take it off, then reapply 10-15 minutes later. It won't hurt as much 2nd time around.
            Desetine cream that is used on babys for diaper rash works well but just like the gold bond expect a little pain when you first apply it.
              I second the Desitin diaper cream. I've rubbed plenty of the stuff on my kids butts when they were young which is where I got the idea to try it on chafing. It works like a champ. Tom
                Brilliant on the Desitin! I have two kids, why didn't I think of that? My arms looks just like my kids a$$'s. Smile

http://www.runningnotes.net

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

My arms looks just like my kids a$$'s. Smile
                  POTD! Big grin
                  jeffdonahue

Desetine cream that is used on babys for diaper rash works well but just like the gold bond expect a little pain when you first apply it.
                    Yeah, I tried that and remember it working relatively well. HOwever, that stuff is just white, thick paste which is kind of nasty to be walking around with rubbed on your arm/leg/thigh.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A&D ointment is what I was instructed to put on my last tattoo...it's kinda greasy, but clear. Since a tattoo is on the surface like an abrasion, I would think the ointment would be good stuff for chafing, too. BTW, I am healing from bad chafing in the same area. Completely forgot to Body Glide under my arms before my last big race. That's one of those areas that sort of remind one about the different chafing needs in warm weather... Blush

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I never thought about using Body Glide under my arms! I'm going for 11 miles on Wednesday, so I will remember that. I'll have to dig out my Desitin, too! Should've bought stock in that stuff when my kids were little. I think I've blocked out a lot of those memories..
                        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

BTW, I am healing from bad chafing in the same area. Completely forgot to Body Glide under my arms before my last big race. That's one of those areas that sort of remind one about the different chafing needs in warm weather... Blush
                          This is a very topical, er, topic. On my 5 miler (long for me, short for a normal person), I started chafing on my arms the last .25 mile or so. As I strech that run and it gets hotter, I anticipate trouble, so I went and bought Body Glide yesterday. Post-Chafing, I like gold bond powder. Hurts like hell sometimes, but I heal fastest.

Chris
                          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Misinformation Officer

I am a fan of Boudreaux's Butt Paste for healing chafe. It works quickly, doesn't sting, and has a great name! ...although, I'd wear a soft tshirt on top that you don't mind getting icky, but it does wash out better than A&D or Desitin.
                            rkeddie

I second (or eighth..) desitin (sp?). Only a dad would think to try it, but it fixes me in one day usually.
                                There's a product called Bikini Zone. it's designed for reducing razor burn after shaving your....welll, ok that part's obvious Tongue Anyway it clears up chafing and eases pain really quickly, it's a clear gel and is pretty much invisible as soon as it dries a bit!
                                Heroes never die. They just reload.