Can I be the first to complain about HOT weather? (Read 848 times)

Tongue It's tough to be motivated for a run when it's high 90's or low 100's outside after work! My training will definitely suffer!
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My last few long runs (2 hours) have been in the 80s...I don't like it. BUT I think I prefer it to the nasty -0 stuff of a few months ago. It's really not so bad until the last few miles when I don't have any shade to run in. The last 30 minutes of today's run had my pace in the toilet and I was getting some chills and queasiness, even after guzzling lots of Gatorade and water. That's when I really am glad that I am limiting my long runs to just 2 hours for the entire Summer. I don't know how you folks do that 90s and above stuff at all. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I DON'T LIKE RUNNING IN THE HEAT. At all. My summer will be full of a lot of treadmill and early early morning running.

Michelle

yeah, i was surprised to feel so dead today, but there it was. this past winter, i ran a lot in california where it was in the 70s, as it was in nj today... but california january 70s is soooo much less humid! so much easier to run in! today i was dying! also, i took off my watch to go to a birthday thing tonight and everyone made fun of me for my farmer's tan around my watch line. i wear spf 45, but still. by june, there's quite a contast, i guess. summer!
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I suck suck suck at running in the heat. All of my PRs above 1-mile occurred in cool weather months and/or unseasonably cold days. (1-mile and under are too short to be heat-affected). Through the track season, I was notorious for getting worse in the 2-mile even as I improved at the 800m and mile because it was getting hotter each meet. In my last ever track meet on a hot June day, I managed to win the 1-mile and set an all-time personal worst in the 2-mile. Dead That's why my favorite road races are the really early spring and late fall ones. Best time of year to run -- I'll race in 40's over 80's any day.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Starting to rack up a lot of 90 degree days now here in Hell Texas and the 100 degree days are not far off. After a stint of trying the early morning running, I'm really starting to enjoy the night running. At 9pm, I get the kids in bed, get dressed and head out. It's a bit warmer than early morning, but I don't have the pressure of being late to work on those days I wish I could just run an extra mile or two.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

PWL

Has been

Just finished an 11-miler this afternoon. It was between 85-88 and humid with NO wind movement at all. Argh--it was frickin miserable and super slow! Tongue

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Does anybody else have "Ozone Action Days"? We've had them all weekend, where you're basically advised to do NO strenuous work outside, don't drive, etc. Which means I haven't gone out to run in the past couple days...but tomorrow I'm going to have to suck it up and go out. Probably early in the morning. Tongue
                  "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does anybody else have "Ozone Action Days"? We've had them all weekend, where you're basically advised to do NO strenuous work outside, don't drive, etc. Which means I haven't gone out to run in the past couple days...but tomorrow I'm going to have to suck it up and go out. Probably early in the morning. Tongue
                    Yeah, we have those a lot around here thanks to humidity and the crap that floats over the lake from Chicago, Milwaukee, and Gary. If I didn't run on those days I'd not be able to run very often, unfortunately. I simply take my inhaler along and my cell phone in case I were to get really ill and need to call for help. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You can be the first but not the last Big grin
                      2009: BQ?
                        ... I'm really starting to enjoy the night running. At 9pm, I get the kids in bed, get dressed and head out. It's a bit warmer than early morning, but I don't have the pressure of being late to work on those days I wish I could just run an extra mile or two.
                        My husband and i have been wanting try a night run, but because we like to stick to trails, it's a little bit more complicated. I think we're going to get flashlights, similar to what ultrarunners use, and try one soon, making sure we have a back-up to look after the kids while we're out. There's also the bears and moutnain lions to worry more about at night.
                        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                          Knowing the Indian Summers (is that a PC term these days?) we have here, I just may be Wink
                            There's also the bears and moutnain lions to worry more about at night.
                            I'll take my MO heat and humidity over bears and mountain lions any day!!! Cool
                            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
                              So true. Hot weather brings out the complaint in most of us! Angry

Michelle

I'm not sure if we do, but tonight while my aunt was visiting she made some comment about how the ozone possibly made her feel sick today. I shrugged it off, but maybe she wasn't too far off from reality. Confused

Michelle