Another beginner with beginner questions (Read 954 times)

I'm 16, a sophmore in high school. I just started running and want to know if it's bad to start out running everday. Right now the plan is to run 10 minutes everday for a week, and in one week I'm going to bump it up to 15. I'm gonna keep increasing 5 minutes a week until I reach 30 minutes, I'll then decide what to do next. Am I going to fast? Should I be running everday? I really want to, I mean I love it, but is it healthy?
      Running everyday is not a problem, unless you are running all out. IMO it's best to run every other day. That gives your muscles a chance to repair themselves and your body time to recover. The key is to start at a slower pace and not kill yourself. Give your body a chance to build up and get used to it. A ten minute run sounds about right for just starting out. Also, listen to your body. If you feel pain, or your muscles are really sore, slow down or take a day off. Don't hang everything on your schedule. Welcome to the club.
      That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run....Forrest Gump

At 16 years old and only running 10 minutes at a time, you should be fine. Increasing your runs by 5 minutes per week is a good strategy, although you may want to cut back a little somewhere in there or at least when you reach 30 minutes. Better yet, join your high school cross country and track teams. Then you'll have a coach that can guide you into getting in shape and can give you individual attention and training.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Why is it sideways?

Better yet, join your high school cross country and track teams. Then you'll have a coach that can guide you into getting in shape and can give you individual attention and training.
          I second this advice.
            I third the advice (doesn't sound right) If your school is like most, track season started last week or this week and meets won't start for a few weeks. Track and Cross Country are a great way to get the most enjoyment from the sport and also reap the benefits of coaching and teammates. From my experience, these teams are open to all comers. Being a beginner would not be a probelm. Unless you have a scheduling issue or some reason not to, you should consider talking to your school's track coach. If he/she is a teacher at the school, find them when they are away from the track and explain your goals. I think it's is worth a few minutes of your time. If that doesn't work out,, your plan as is seems reasonable. Good Luck
              Thanks, your replys deffinitely relieve a little stress.
                Andrew: Keep it up. Make sure you aren't racing every day, and running every day will be fine. Good Luck, and I add my voice to the ones encouraging you to try school track and XC. It's a lot of fun. Craig
                I third the advice (doesn't sound right) If your school is like most, track season started last week or this week and meets won't start for a few weeks.
                That depends pretty heavily on location.... We got 10 cm (more) of snow with freezing rain mixed in yesterday. track won't be starting for a bit, unless the first 2 weeks of practice are shoveling.....
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Outdoor track season in Maine begins on March 31, and the kids will definitely be shovelling!

Outdoor track season in Maine begins on March 31, and the kids will definitely be shovelling!
                    It's good for 'em. Builds character, puts hair on their chest.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

If the weather was bad we ran outside and did weights or other training inside the gym. I 4th or whatever we're at going your track team!
                      -Jen
                      2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!