Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Obesity Ads (Read 1741 times)

A Saucy Wench

Then again I got to witness a stunning display of fat phobia Monday morning.  There are a couple who work out at the gym when I do.  Lately their 12ish year old son has been joining them (hell, 5:30 in the morning for  a near teen...I'm impressed already).  Another gym member was complimenting the kid on his workout and then saying something to the mom "not that he has any bodyfat".   And mom said "Well, not yet anyway".  In hearing range. 

WTF. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Slice

Another shining example of parents feeding their children absolute garbage: home made "Go Go Juice." Red bull and Mountain Dew.  You can tell the mom is very obviously a nutrition nut too...

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/health-26594251/pageant-mom-s-go-go-juice-comes-under-fire-28232065.html

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

keeponrunning

Another shining example of parents feeding their children absolute garbage: home made "Go Go Juice." Red bull and Mountain Dew.  You can tell the mom is very obviously a nutrition nut too...

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/health-26594251/pageant-mom-s-go-go-juice-comes-under-fire-28232065.html

Ok, no kid should have that much sugar and caffeine.  And her 'other life'....maybe I'm paranoid, but a 6 year old on an ATV??  It's not overly common, but they can tip and they weigh 800lb.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Why is it sideways?

Mindful Eating. The anti-diet.

A Saucy Wench

Meanwhile I wish I could get my kids to go to McD's today.  It is pouring out and we have 45 minutes to kill before we have to be someplace else Barely enough time to get home and leave again.  But they hate the new playstructure.  Sigh. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

L Train

Mindful Eating. The anti-diet.

This is completely inefficient.  Like my time on RA.  I should probably swap the 2.

Slice

This article is very interesting and scary at the same time. I don't agree with taxing sugar but I do think that food stamps should not be used for junk food (cokes, candy, snack cakes, chips, etc).

http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/05/03/sugar-babies-how-to-stop-the-genocide-of-our-children/

Link to the study on juvenile Type 2 diabetes in children:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1109333

MTA: Fixed the wording on diabetes

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Link to the study on juvenile diabetes:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1109333

That's not juvenile (type 1) diabetes...it's type 2 (traditionally known as "adult onset") that is developing in kids because of poor diet and lack of exercise.  Not trying to be obnoxious, but it gets me when the appropriate distinction isn't made (see also: my signature), since type 1 folks spend their entire lives battling misinformation and people telling them that if they just stopped eating junk food that they'd be cured--which is so far from the truth.  Juvenile/type 1 is an autoimmune disease with no cure.  It's the result of a person's body attacking and destroying their pancreas' ability to produce insulin...permanently (and, while it tends to happen in childhood, I know several adults who became type 1 in their 20s and 30s).  They have to take insulin regardless of what they eat.

I agree that WIC and food stamps shouldn't be used towards processed foods, though.  Unfortunately that crap is generally cheap.  Yay, corn subsidies. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slice

That's not juvenile (type 1) diabetes...it's type 2 (traditionally known as "adult onset") that is developing in kids because of poor diet and lack of exercise.  Not trying to be obnoxious, but it gets me when the appropriate distinction isn't made (see also: my signature), since type 1 folks spend their entire lives battling misinformation and people telling them that if they just stopped eating junk food that they'd be cured--which is so far from the truth.  Juvenile/type 1 is an autoimmune disease with no cure.  It's the result of a person's body attacking and destroying their pancreas' ability to produce insulin...permanently (and, while it tends to happen in childhood, I know several adults who became type 1 in their 20s and 30s).  They have to take insulin regardless of what they eat.

I agree that WIC and food stamps shouldn't be used towards processed foods, though.  Unfortunately that crap is generally cheap.  Yay, corn subsidies. Roll eyes

Sorry Zoom, I meant to add Type 2 when I typed it but got sidetracked telling DH about the study. I understand the distinction completely and I can't imagine how tough Type 1 must be to have for so many reasons. I went back and fixed it. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sorry Zoom, I meant to add Type 2 when I typed it but got sidetracked telling DH about the study. I understand the distinction completely and I can't imagine how tough Type 1 must be to have for so many reasons. I went back and fixed it. 

No problem (you have little kids, a MIL, and brownies to contend with at the moment, heh Wink).  I just couldn't let that go, since the JDRF struggles for support when the majority of diabetics worldwide are type 2 and for many of them it's a "lifestyle" disease (not for all.  My MIL's boyfriend is type 2, but he's thin and fit and eats well.  His diabetes is controlled by watching his carb intake and taking oral meds).  Type 1s really have no choice in the matter.  But type 2s are what people generally think about when they hear the word "diabetes."  It seems that a lot of people either don't realize there's a distinction or they don't understand the distinction.  Many believe that if people just ate differently and got off the couch that they'd be cured, which is true for some type 2s.  I hang with a bunch of folks who are thin and very active, but have to stop every hour or so to check their blood and make adjustments to their insulin pumps.  Every day...in the middle of the night.  It's really sobering to think of how delicate their survival is.  I really hope I can ride with these people just for the hell of it, someday.  Not as part of a cure-funding mission.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It really is horrifying, though, how common type 2 has become and how much younger the diagnosed patients are.  Sobering.  When I was a kid there were maybe 3-4 heavy kids in each class.  Now it seems like that # has at least doubled.  My kid is scrawny...thinner than I was, but not severely so.  But compared to a lot of his peers he looks almost emaciated.  Compared to my classmates when I was 11 he would have been one of the thinnest kids in the class, but not THE thinnest kid.

~ Sarah Kay

I'm concerned about one of the little girls in my daycare. She was a thin kid until about a year and a half ago....then she started putting on weight. She'll be five in August, and I'd consider her obese now. Here, I don't give them junk (occasionally a parent brings a treat for everyone, but not often), they get child-size portions, and we play outside 2-3 hours per day. It seems like something is wrong, or she's loading up at home. I've mentioned to her mom about having her checked out, but she didn't seem all that concerned. Hopefully at her well-check in August, her doc will say something.

All 3 of my kids are in the ideal weight range. Yet we are constantly told that we should "fatten" them up a bit.  They look skinny compared to the majority of their friends.  My wife and I have gone out of our way to show the kids good eating habits and healthy lifestyle without going over board.  Hamburgers are fine once in a while and so is ice cream but fruit yogurt is nice sweet dessert as well.

My 14 year old daughter is an army cadet and every year they are tested to determine their fitness.  She belongs to a large corps with over 100 kids.  She was one of only 5 that received the gold standard and she is probably my least fit child. 

I have to say I am fearful for the health of our future generations. 

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Feeling the growl again

I'm concerned about one of the little girls in my daycare. She was a thin kid until about a year and a half ago....then she started putting on weight. She'll be five in August, and I'd consider her obese now. Here, I don't give them junk (occasionally a parent brings a treat for everyone, but not often), they get child-size portions, and we play outside 2-3 hours per day. It seems like something is wrong, or she's loading up at home. I've mentioned to her mom about having her checked out, but she didn't seem all that concerned. Hopefully at her well-check in August, her doc will say something.

It can be hard with kids, I judge them a lot more loosely than adults.  In all honesty I was overweight several times growing up.  Then I'd hit a growth spurt and slim down, went back and forth a lot.  I was as active as one gets.

It was not really a problem until HS, when I quit growing.  So when I got fat I just stayed that way.  Running took care of that.

It is harder for people with certain genetics, even with the amount I run it is a constant struggle not to gain weight.  Most of my family is overweight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I have to say I am fearful for the health of our future generations. 

There is a school of thought out there than the current young generation may be the first in the US to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills