Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Obesity Ads (Read 1741 times)

It can be hard with kids, I judge them a lot more loosely than adults.  In all honesty I was overweight several times growing up.  Then I'd hit a growth spurt and slim down, went back and forth a lot.  I was as active as one gets.

It was not really a problem until HS, when I quit growing.  So when I got fat I just stayed that way.  Running took care of that.

It is harder for people with certain genetics, even with the amount I run it is a constant struggle not to gain weight.  Most of my family is overweight.

I hope she does eventually even out. Her parents and older brother are all slim. I'll just continue to show healthy habits here for the 45 hours per week she's with me and hope her parents are doing the same on their end.
      A trend I've seen with the daycare parents just the past few years is always having a snack in the car for the kids. I swear almost every day at pickup time, I hear a mom say, " Come on, I have a snack for you in the car." Evidently they can't ride across town (our town isn't that big) without sustenance.
        A trend I've seen with the daycare parents just the past few years is always having a snack in the car for the kids. I swear almost every day at pickup time, I hear a mom say, " Come on, I have a snack for you in the car." Evidently they can't ride across town (our town isn't that big) without sustenance.

That actually wouldn't be so bad if it was fresh fruit for the snack. Perhaps that would hold them over until dinner with something nutritious and low in calories.   

True, but it's usually "Bug Juice" and cookies or candy. It just seems like they are teaching them to associate riding in the car with snacking. Plus, they do get a snack here at 3:30.
          Slice

My girl is 3.5 and built like a tank. She is very solid and has always, always had a pot belly. We feed her healthy stuff but she eats voraciously. I feel horrible when I cut her off from fresh fruits and something like boiled shrimp. When she does get bad stuff, she has eaten until she makes herself sick. It's totally genetics. My husband is a big guy and she totally has his body type. She's always been in the 90+ percentile for height and 85+ percentile for weight. What's really weird is that she has had a voracious appetite from birth. She would down a bottle and scream instantly if we didn't have a pacifier ready. My youngest is 7 months and typically has little to no interest in her bottles. I'm really curious if she will continue to eat like a bird as she grows up. And the 3.5 whines for a snack the instant we get in the car. If I have fruit or carrots left from my own lunch I give it to her. Otherwise I hate life as I make the 6 mile trek home. My daycare feeds my toddler absolute garbage and it makes me crazy. I used to pack her lunch daily but daycare would still give her the garbage. AFTER she already ate her nutritious lunch. And once she had the garbage, she has started saying she wants school lunch. I still pack it on some days though.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Feeling the growl again

I hope she does eventually even out. Her parents and older brother are all slim. I'll just continue to show healthy habits here for the 45 hours per week she's with me and hope her parents are doing the same on their end.

Yeah.  What kind of makes me nervous (especially as the father of two young daughters) is the pressure many put on (especially) young girls about their weight and the risk of creating complexes, self image, and other mental issues as a result which may be even more detrimental in the longer term.  Neither of my girls appear to have a problem, one eats like a bird and the other eats everything, so far we just control portion size for the one that eats more (while we still can).  I'm hoping through setting a good example and promoting activity it is enough for them.  I know too many women who have issues because their mothers put it in their head that they were always too fat or always needed to be dieting (and usually this wasn't even the case).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

It is sad when girls feel pressured to be a certain body type. We talk about healthy foods and taking good care of ourselves, but I'd certainly never say anything to the kids about weight. But the kids already do. A five year old pointed to the girl's stomach and said, "She's starting to look like my mom." His mom is five months pregnant. Sad
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's not just girls.  Even though my son is a wisp of a thing he'll ask me "mom, am I getting fat?"  He's 11 and weighs well under 70#s.  It horrifies me that he'd even entertain that thought.  His dad and I are both struggling to lose weight (well, my DH isn't struggling so much...because he's a bastard and can drop 20#s without much effort--he generally regains it every Winter, then drops it again 6 months later.  I'd just like to drop it ONCE).  I've had to show him how he doesn't have anything loose or jiggly or Nerf-like on his body.  He has 0 extra to pinch.  The kid has a 6-pack and abdominal V that most of us would kill for.

I'm not sure where he's picked up this weight obsession.  I'm guessing from his peers.  We try not to make an issue of weight issues around him.  I hope that he won't struggle with weight gain after he's done growing (which has been reality for my DH and I and both of my siblings), but I don't want him to give it too much thought while he's still growing.  He eats a reasonably healthy diet (I'd do well to eat as many veggies and fruits as he does) and is plenty active.  Hopefully his weight will take care of itself with that balance.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

It's not just girls.  

Very true, which is why I threw in the word "especially".  It is not fair, but it seems to me that our society is more accepting of men being a little budgy or carrying a beer belly around than we are of women in a similar condition.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

.... our society is more accepting of men being a little budgy ...

I'm sure there's a budgy smuggling joke in there somewhere Smile

It is sad when girls feel pressured to be a certain body type. We talk about healthy foods and taking good care of ourselves, but I'd certainly never say anything to the kids about weight. But the kids already do. A five year old pointed to the girl's stomach and said, "She's starting to look like my mom." His mom is five months pregnant. Sad

I'm always surprised that women support the unrealistic shape thing for women.  Maybe not in words but certainly in actions and dollars spent.  As much as my wife complains about women being treated as objects she still reads magazines and watches shows where it's obvious the women are only on there for the skinny body. I have to believe 99% of the people reading most of these magazines are women. 

I've seen this group being promoted on some running boards lately.  While I'm sure it's great what they do, I was a little put off by the logo.  That woman pushing the stroller must still be nursing.  It appears to have helped her get back that 22 inch waist.   I just hope the 6-inch heels and 38 DD breasts don't cause her to fall over into the stroller.  But I guess I should just be happy that Mudflap Girl finally settled down to raise a family.       

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've seen this group being promoted on some running boards lately.  While I'm sure it's great what they do, I was a little put off by the logo.  That woman pushing the stroller must still be nursing.  It appears to have helped her get back that 22 inch waist.   I just hope the 6-inch heels and 38 DD breasts don't cause her to fall over into the stroller.  But I guess I should just be happy that Mudflap Girl finally settled down to raise a family.       

Ha, she's no 38DD...more like a 30DDD/F with one helluva supportive bra to be lookin' like that up-top after birthin' a kid (and, where the hell are her knees?)...  At least the active silhouettes look like realistic shapes.  But I guess that gives the message that if one wants to look like a Barbie that they have to be inactive.  That really is conflicting.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Haters.  Maybe she's just the smoking-hot nanny?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

you know... I love smokin' hot mammas and nannies.  either one is great by me.  but since the group is exclusive to women only, I just figured they could have made the logo a little more sensible. 

now if they want to get guys to join... sure.  Mudflap Girl works fine. 

Slice

I'm always surprised that women support the unrealistic shape thing for women.  Maybe not in words but certainly in actions and dollars spent.  As much as my wife complains about women being treated as objects she still reads magazines and watches shows where it's obvious the women are only on there for the skinny body. I have to believe 99% of the people reading most of these magazines are women. 

I'm glad to see that shameless hussie (mudflap girl) finally settled down! That logo is pretty funny. As far as magazines go, once my toddler started looking at my Shape and Self magazines I let the subscriptions expire and only keep Running Times around for her to flip through. I'm trying to indoctrinate my kids to love running. I struggle with body image issues and don't want my kids to do the same. But I also don't want them to think that it's okay to be overweight when they get older either. I thought parenting would be easier than this! Wink

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning