Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Obesity Ads (Read 1741 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

i know several skinny people who eat unhealthy.

what should be the purpose of these ads, to be skinny or to be healthy ?

if it's to be just healthy, then why can't we have ads that show people eating healthy food, preparing there own healthy meals from cheap ingredients and children and adults running and playing around in public parks. that's it, no mention of fat people, at all.

may be my idea is too simplistic and won't create any shock effect at all.

Obviously, it's more important to be healthy than skinny.  And it's true that there are overweight people who are healthy, and skinny people who are not.  But obese is almost never healthy, so it makes sense to target obesity.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

i know several skinny people who eat unhealthy.

what should be the purpose of these ads, to be skinny or to be healthy ?

Of course you can be skinny and eat unhealthily. But the question you pose is a false dichotomy - it's not an either/or choice. 

Obesity is, of itself, unhealthy; irrespective of the quality of your diet.

Slice

DH was a fat kid. His mom gave him a cupcake and chocolate milk every morning before school and all kinds of bad stuff to eat. He is still overweight but I don't think he really sees it. The good thing is, he's very adamant that he doesn't want our kids to grow up fat. We feed our 3 year old mostly healthy with junk here and there. She's a big kid with a big build and she's chubby. I make sure she gets exercise when weather permits but the kid can sometimes put away as much food as an adult. She loves to eat. I don't know if limiting her helps or hurts. She may be bigger when she gets older, but she sure as hell won't be 200 lbs when she hits 9 yrs old.  And whenever anyone keeps her they LOVE to take her to McDonald's, get her popsicles, chocolate milk, and all sorts of stuff I typically don't feed her. I don't understand it. And her daycare serves nothing but junk. Fortunately she enjoys taking her lunch but for breakfast and snacks they get things like honey buns, pop tarts, fruit loops, etc. Why not just give them plain ol' cheerios? Just as simple as fruit loops. I truly think that people believe they way to a child's heart is through their stomach and that's what causing a lot of the fat kids. Broken family? Patch it with some candy and fries.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Why is it sideways?

Crazy thought: maybe obesity is an upshot of the death of religion and an overly materialistic culture. Instead of calming the soul with mindfulness and prayer, we satiate it with sugar.

Feeling the growl again

Crazy thought: maybe obesity is an upshot of the death of religion and an overly materialistic culture. Instead of calming the soul with mindfulness and prayer, we satiate it with sugar.

Plenty of obese people at church.  I'd bet money this holds in Atlanta.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

True, but one of the first places to go to find the death of religion is church.

Feeling the growl again

DH was a fat kid. His mom gave him a cupcake and chocolate milk every morning before school and all kinds of bad stuff to eat. He is still overweight but I don't think he really sees it. The good thing is, he's very adamant that he doesn't want our kids to grow up fat. We feed our 3 year old mostly healthy with junk here and there. She's a big kid with a big build and she's chubby. I make sure she gets exercise when weather permits but the kid can sometimes put away as much food as an adult. She loves to eat. I don't know if limiting her helps or hurts. She may be bigger when she gets older, but she sure as hell won't be 200 lbs when she hits 9 yrs old.  And whenever anyone keeps her they LOVE to take her to McDonald's, get her popsicles, chocolate milk, and all sorts of stuff I typically don't feed her. I don't understand it. And her daycare serves nothing but junk. Fortunately she enjoys taking her lunch but for breakfast and snacks they get things like honey buns, pop tarts, fruit loops, etc. Why not just give them plain ol' cheerios? Just as simple as fruit loops. I truly think that people believe they way to a child's heart is through their stomach and that's what causing a lot of the fat kids. Broken family? Patch it with some candy and fries.

My kids, especially oldest, admittedly eat too much crap.  At one point chicken nuggets were a "food group".  However I limit electronics and force all sorts of play.  They are outside tearing around whenever possible.  They are not fat despite no limits on quantities eaten.  Don't know how that will change as they get older...likely need to be a little more conscious on the younger daughter but so far her activity level makes up for it all.  I think overall activity level (ie not just "exercise") has a lot to do with things.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

True, but one of the first places to go to find the death of religion is church.

When was the last time you regularly attended church?

I truly think that people believe they way to a child's heart is through their stomach and that's what causing a lot of the fat kids.

bingo.  for almost no money you can make a kid happy.  who doesn't want that right?  instant gratification is at our fingertips.  let's share it with the kids.  and I don't even think it's even anything to do with a family being broken.  just a bit stretched.

what's easier... giving a kid pizza and tater tots or having a fight and making them eat salmon with brown rice and brussel sprouts?  Not only would you have to make them eat it, you'd have to cook the stuff also. 

some people have 2 income families, lots of activities they've commited to, bills to pay and... well hell, why add one more pain in the ass thing to do right? 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You forgot the SPAM FRITTERS !!

Corn pones, made with, and fried in bacon grease, then buttered at the table.  Awesome.  And look how I turned out.

Why is it sideways?

Comments withdrawn. Who gives a crap about my PERSONAL life.

+ 1 

+1 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well sure.  Because you have to go to synagogue to find it. Dur.

That, and this - define: religion

This turn in topic has made me hungry for some lard and sugar.