Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Obesity Ads (Read 1741 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This turn in topic has made me hungry for some lard and sugar.

Yes indeed.  I remember original Oreos fondly too!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/twinkies-maker-hostess-seeks-bankruptcy-132215604.html

stock up on your Twinkies while you still can.  buy yourself a 20-year supply.  for me that would be a box of 6 twinkies. 

Why is it sideways?

Ah man... hopefully at least Little Debbie will stay in business. Nutty Bars = the poor man's powerbar.

Mmmm.

heather85

Modified to remove long personal ramblings.

,  I wholeheartedly think it is the parent's responsibility to get their child to adulthood out of obesity OR the habits that lead to it. It's not fair to the child to teach them unhealthy habits- it's bad for their health and bad for their socializing.  We have responsibilities there when we chose to be parents.  I think the ads are a good thing.

Feeling the growl again

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/twinkies-maker-hostess-seeks-bankruptcy-132215604.html

stock up on your Twinkies while you still can.  buy yourself a 20-year supply.  for me that would be a box of 6 twinkies. 

Twinkies have a better shelf life than MREs so I stocked up on them for the zombie invasion.

No worries, their hyper-processed and preserved products (some of which I will admit I find tasty) will continue to be turned out without interruption.  They just won't have to pay some poor creditors and you'd better hope you don't own their stock as its value will be as low as the nutritional value of their products.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I wholeheartedly think it is the parent's responsibility to get their child to adulthood out of obesity OR the habits that lead to it. It's not fair to the child to teach them unhealthy habits- it's bad for their health and bad for their socializing.  We have responsibilities there when we chose to be parents. 

There you go encumbering us with that whole personal responsibility thing again.

Wink

+1.

My kids are to the point of seeing running as a normal (and required) part of my routine, especially after my December idiocy.  If I try to skip a run I normally hear about it from one of them.  It's a normal part of life to them.  We love it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Crazy thought: maybe obesity is an upshot of the death of religion and an overly materialistic culture. Instead of calming the soul with mindfulness and prayer, we satiate it with sugar.

But the US is the most religious country in the western world and also has the biggest obesity problem.

But the US is the most religious country in the western world and also has the biggest obesity problem.

which supports the ealier data suggesting regular church attendance leads to higher rates of obesity down the line. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

If only i could find lard around here.  Other than the hydrogenated  kind.

steph  

Why is it sideways?

I think I was using the word "religion" in a perhaps odd way that doesn't have much to do with going to church. I kinda regret making that post and did not think it would be so distracting. I was really responding to kunland's observation about how giving kids food can shortcut the "way to the heart." That made me think that we are reliant a lot on material things like food and drugs and stuff when we care for ourselves; maybe this marks our bodies.

I kinda think of religious practice as "caring for the soul," and I don't really see the U.S. as a religious country, but I can understand that this is maybe an odd view of religion.

I was an overweight kid. I don't believe coddling a child does much good. All it does is reinforce negative habits. I also am cautious whenever a parent lets a child start deciding what is best for the child. You better darn well know more about healthcare than your 9-year-old kid, so letting the kid do whatever it wants is negligent, stupid, or both. But, perhaps we haven't yet touched the heart of the problem for most adults with obese kids. They just don't want to be bothered with the extra effort required to buy better groceries or innovate some way to inspire the child to lose weight. They don't want to be inconvenienced and, in good old fashioned American tradition, more importantly they just don't want to be told what to do or how to raise their kids by The Man.

My brother-in-law was a weekend warrior. He ran, but only when he had free time. He often had some free time when he'd visit where my parents lived. I would be playing a video game somewhere and he would have his running clothes on and come by to try and get me to come. I never would. He would say, "[First name], why are you the only fat [last name]? [First name]. [First name]. WHY?! WHY ARE YOU THE ONLY FAT [LAST NAME]?" Some might construe this as being rude, but I got along with him and happily ignored it for months. But he did an important thing. He made me realize there are consequences for being fat (and not just having to hear his slurs). You're probably going to die sooner. You can't do the things you want. People are less likely to spend time with you. You probably have BO just from sitting in a chair. Being fat does make you different from the healthy ideal, it's for the worse, and it does need to be emphasized how far you've strayed.

The picture of the one with the onset of b00bs and the short cut hair I really like. It's gender inspecific. Yes, being overweight a boy might start to look more like a girl or vice versa. Everything about the kid starts to get blurred and it's just easier to identify the kid as fat instead of some other positive personality feature. Being fat can become a part of who you are and for the sake of the kid's health parents should encourage their children to make himself/herself known through something other than taking up a large amount of space.

We have a bias as runners. We know something about the effort required to be healthy. Imagine being at the pool. We're the ones in the water having fun and saying, "Come in! The water is warm!" The fat kids and parents are the ones standing on the outside and it's not as easy to take that leap.

I'm routinely shocked when I talk to people who don't know anything about fructose, HFCS, sucrose, glucose, transfat, saturated fat, regular fat, and other classifications of things we put in our bodies. Ten years ago, though, and I would have been equally clueless!

So we're up against 1) a lack of knowing about health and 2) the fact that to some people good health is just inconvenient. That's in the case of at least semi-rational people. Then there are irrational people who are okay with their kids being unhealthy because its an exercise in gratuitous freedom.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

which supports the ealier data suggesting regular church attendance leads to higher rates of obesity down the line. 

Clearly introducing pews into churches was a major mistake in terms of health.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MrH

Clearly introducing pews into churches was a major mistake in terms of health.

Those hard wooden seats require the congregation to grow their own cushioning.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Feeling the growl again

Agreed.  Just like the reduction in pirates is responsible for global warming.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And now this entire thread will have to be censored due to a DMCA takedown notice by the RIAA/MIAA.

Thanks Spaniel.

(mta: joke)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.