dratted ankles! Starting back in...advice needed (Read 487 times)

Finished!

Alright, so Ive been wearing my orthotics and letting my feet adapt - I hit the treadmill again yesterday, and while my feet didn't hurt or feel wierd (at least I don't recall them feeling wierd) I have noticed that my ankles still don't seem particularly happy with me. This all started back in January/February with awful shin splints - I had been benched since then, going to PT 2x per week working on strengthening my ankles and lower legs. While the shin splints eventually seemed to go away, I had started developing twinges in my ankles - usually in the right one, but occasionally on the left one too. I was released from PT shortly after having new orthotics cast. In any case, I have been told to start back in on the running slowly - I also decided to force myself to train using a low heart rate method as I seemed to be having issues before I injured myself in keeping my training runs truly easy in pace. In reintroducing myself to running, I looked at the C25k plan again and started myself back on Week 5 Day 1 (I couldn't bear to go all the way back to week 1) which consists of intervals of 5 3 5 3 5 (where the 5 is 5 min of jogging and 3 is 3 min of walking). I'm still getting ankle twinges. I am trying to get myself back into running 3x per week - though I realize I need to keep going with the strength training and x-training aerobically. Am I being too aggressive in trying to start back in? Should I throw in the towel and start back at Week 1?? Advice is appreciated. I'm still considered a raw newbie when it comes to running.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      Define twinge - does this mean pain or just a little soreness? In my opinion the only difference between weeks 1 and 5 are a little more leg strength and a little more cardio fitness. If you are getting a twinge (meaning pain), you are probably going to still get it at week 1 levels, it will just take more sessions to show up. If there is pain, then there is probably something that still isn't right - I would look at either going back to the doctor or possibly some new shoes. If it's just soreness, then starting at C2K weeks 1, 5 or anything in between would be a good starting point to easy yourself back in.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Finished!

crud. The twinge in the ankle is pain, not soreness - as it can sometimes be sharp. it showed up during the course of PT. They thought it was due to my weak ankles - and it doesn't feel like soreness. I've had my ankles and lower legs scanned recently and no sign of fracture or odd inflammation was observed. Shoes are new with new orthotic devices - the only thing I can think is maybe I need different shoes as these orthotics are different from the ones I first started running in (both cases, both are custom made) I am notorious for having fussy princess feet...
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry