the chocolate in chocolate milk (Read 987 times)

What do you all use to make chocolate milk for a post run drink? I'm really starting to be a fan of this over accelerade, but I noticed that the first ingredient on mine is high fructose corn syrup, which I'd like to avoid. Any other ideas?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I buy the no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast and mix it with lactose free milk. For a while I was doing Ovaltine with regular milk...and then was sick after each long run with intestinal issues. Eventually I realized it wasn't the running that was causing problems, but the milk. Wisconsin girls aren't supposed to have sensitivities to milk! No

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Milk + chocolate. Heat. Cool.
          no sugar added-does that mean it includes fake sugar (like diet soda)?? I used to be lactose intolerant (wierd that I no longer am, eh?), so I can sympathize with you.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

no sugar added-does that mean it includes fake sugar (like diet soda)?? I used to be lactose intolerant (wierd that I no longer am, eh?), so I can sympathize with you.
            Yeah, I think it has Splenda. I'll take my chances with artificial sweeteners. I know what HFCS does to me. Nasty stuff...too many diabetics in my life. k

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks, I may go the ovaltine route, as that appears to have no HFCS. I used to love that stuff when I was younger anyway. Especially on ice cream.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, I may go the ovaltine route, as that appears to have no HFCS. I used to love that stuff when I was younger anyway. Especially on ice cream.
                Nice to have the added vitamins and minerals, too. I was also quite the fan of Ovaltine as a kid. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Rim Rock Dad

Hmm. I never would have thought about Ovaltine. I always used the Hershey's syrup. I'll have to try that. Sounds good right about now.
                  James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
                    The hershey's is what contains the HFCS, which I'd like to get avoid.
                      i make a batch of chocolate syrup (it's just simple syrup, i.e. sugar and water, with flavorings) and add it to milk. easy to make, and you can make a batch to last a week or more. it's the best way to have control over what you eat... make it yourself: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107781
                        i make a batch of chocolate syrup (it's just simple syrup, i.e. sugar and water, with flavorings) and add it to milk. easy to make, and you can make a batch to last a week or more. it's the best way to have control over what you eat... make it yourself: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107781
                        That's a great idea, if I weren't so lazy. I just bought the ovaltine.
                          I really like Accelerade, but it's so damn expensive. When I do the chocolate milk thing, I use the powder mix to avoid HFCS.
                          pandajenn19

If there is a Trader Joe's near you, they have Organic Midnight Moo, which is pretty darn fantastic. Ingredients are: organic sugar, water, organic cocoa, organic non-fat dry milk, organic vanilla, xanthan gum, soy lecithin, citric acid.
                              I'll have to get some of that next time I'm at TJ's. It is a bit out of my way, but I love it there. I agree about accelerade. I like it, don't love it, but am not sure I'm getting much more than expensive gatorade with vitamins and protein (which I can get elsewhere). I do buy powdered gatorade, as that does not contain HFCS (bottled versions do).

Head Procrastinator

Fox's U-Bet is made with sugar not HFCS. So is Bosco
                                ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats