Marathon Pace Advice (Read 736 times)

Greg Maclin's calculator (http://mymarathonpace.com/Running_Calculators.html -- it is the Race Time Estimator with Adjustable "Aggressiveness" Settings), using both the 10K and HM results,  and the "Moderate" setting, gives 3:55:27. The "Fairly conservative" setting gives 4:00:40. I think many first time marathoners will be between these settings. I would not recommend faster, based on the half PR. Since the half was run a couple months before the marathon, there is the possibility the OP has improved enough since then to make the 3:55 or better realistic (this is why I prefer my tune-up HM more like 4-6 weeks before goal race) , but I wouldn't pace based on that assumption due to  risk of blowup. I would pace closer to 4 at beginning and pick up if feeling good. I don't think the OP's mileage is too bad for a first timer. I  ran sub 3:50 twice (with terrible pacing, including following a pacer who tried to "bank time") off a similar 10K PR and about 40 mpw cycle average, but neither was my first marathon, and I did have a faster HM. I have yet to run a decently-paced marathon.

Good luck, AmiK!

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Ball of Fury

Thank you all very much! I think my plan will be to try to pace for 4:00 and hold that pace until at least 20-22 and pick it up from there if I feel really good (unlikely...lol!).  Since it's my first, I do want it to be a positive experience and I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with 4:10.  Again, thank you all for your advice...really appreciated!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

whodateverything

Thank you all very much! I think my plan will be to try to pace for 4:00 and hold that pace until at least 20-22 and pick it up from there if I feel really good (unlikely...lol!).  Since it's my first, I do want it to be a positive experience and I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with 4:10.  Again, thank you all for your advice...really appreciated!

The race conditions need to be factored in. The temp. and humidity on the race day can make or break a race

vegefrog

Your times are close to mine, mileage is about the same as what I was at before I ran my marathon in the beginning of Dec. I went out with the 4 hour pace group and stayed with them until mile 16. It was nice, easy, enjoyable. Then I picked it up and bit...felt good...my last 10K felt strong and fast and I finished with a 3:51. I believe you will have no problem breaking 4 hours. It's hard to stay at an easy pace early in the race, but that strategy really pays off and for your first I think you will have an excellent experience if you follow that plan Smile

Oh, and I walked through every aid station. I know it seems like it would slow you down and have a negative impact on your race. Quite the opposite though,  I think that little 10-15 second walk break really saved my legs and was partly responsible for why I felt so good at the end.

Have fun and good luck!

Ball of Fury

The race conditions need to be factored in. The temp. and humidity on the race day can make or break a race

Oh absolutely!  Although I know this isn't accurate so far in advance, so far they are calling for quite a bit of rain.  Assuming normal temps and little to no wind, how much do you think rain slows down your pace, or does it?

Ball of Fury

Your times are close to mine, mileage is about the same as what I was at before I ran my marathon in the beginning of Dec. I went out with the 4 hour pace group and stayed with them until mile 16. It was nice, easy, enjoyable. Then I picked it up and bit...felt good...my last 10K felt strong and fast and I finished with a 3:51. I believe you will have no problem breaking 4 hours. It's hard to stay at an easy pace early in the race, but that strategy really pays off and for your first I think you will have an excellent experience if you follow that plan Smile

Oh, and I walked through every aid station. I know it seems like it would slow you down and have a negative impact on your race. Quite the opposite though,  I think that little 10-15 second walk break really saved my legs and was partly responsible for why I felt so good at the end.

Have fun and good luck!

Thank  you so much!  I do usually either walk or do a very slow jog at aide stations because I just cannot seem to master the art of running and drinking!

A Saucy Wench

Oh absolutely!  Although I know this isn't accurate so far in advance, so far they are calling for quite a bit of rain.  Assuming normal temps and little to no wind, how much do you think rain slows down your pace, or does it?

I dont find rain slows my pace at all, quite the opposite, keeps me cool which makes it easier.  However you may want a throwaway layer so you dont get chilled in the start and/or run too fast at the beginning just to get warm.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7