Running with your Sweetie (Read 480 times)

diane_77

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm surprised that my husband has decided to run with me on some runs.  I'm happy to have him along, and I want to encourage him in his running.  Here's the issue (or non-issue):  His stride is longer, but I have better endurance.  We are running our first 5K together this Saturday.  I will be able to run the whole way, he will probably need to walk a little.  If when he breaks for a walk, should I catch up and then walk with him, or should I run on?

Am I too archaic in thinking that a man's ego would be bruised if his wife beat him in a race?  I just don't want him getting discouraged, because I want him to run with me from now on.  I think it would be nice to finish the race together, but I also don't want to rein myself in too much.

Ha!  I say this now, but watch.  He'll probably beat me fair and square now!

Slo

If he keeps running he may eventually beat you...I say chick him!

I might think that getting beat by his wife would make him train harder so it wouldn't happen again. +1 to chick him!

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

kcam

If he takes off and leaves you in the dust so you have to catch him, well, then it's ON!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have done it both ways with my daughter.  You should probably discuss with your sweetie in advance, pretty much as you posted.

Joann Y

Options are to run for fun or to race. Sounds like you kind of want to race it. I'd ask him what he wants and go with that, no guilt Smile

If he takes off and leaves you in the dust so you have to catch him, well, then it's ON!

Here is a thoughtful article that may help...followed by a +1 for what kencamet said.

A Saucy Wench

Races are for racing.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It's a race. You win, and you gloat, and you tell everyone you know. That's the point.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

It's a race. You win, and you gloat, and you tell everyone you know. That's the point.

Yes, pretty much this.  Though in a nice way Smile

And as said above, sooner or later he will out run you if he keeps at it.

steph  

I've found that when running an event with anyone, it is always better to discuss the plan. If I tell someone I will stay with them, then I stay with them.... no matter what.

If I want to race an event and am going with friends, I will tell them I plan to do my own thing.  They are fine with that.

What drives me nuts is when someone says they will stay with someone, and then they take off.  I've seen this cause problems. For me, it's always been better to go in with a plan known to those involved.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Joann Y

Now thinking about it, had a similar-ish situation last March when my husband ran his first 8K. Difference was that I didn't even consider what he thought or wanted and I raced my race. Not sure if we even talked about it. We are both doing a 10 miler in November and I plan to race it as well. Unless there is some special significance to finishing together, I'd let him know you want to do your own thing. The plus is that you will get to cheer him on at the finish line!

some call me Tim

I agree with making a plan. There's no reason that the plan shouldn't be to 'do your own thing', but there's often so much we don't tell each other or even bother to think about. I always finish way ahead of my wife and one day it came up that she'd love it if I ran her in, something I never did because I didn't want to diminish her accomplishments. Next race I went back and ran the final quarter with her and she just cranked it all the way in Smile You're right to want to encourage keep him to keep going... the rare long runs my wife and I have gotten to run together have been incredible bonding experiences... but there's no reason to tiptoe around his ego.

Hoban-Jay

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm surprised that my husband has decided to run with me on some runs.  I'm happy to have him along, and I want to encourage him in his running.  Here's the issue (or non-issue):  His stride is longer, but I have better endurance.  We are running our first 5K together this Saturday.  I will be able to run the whole way, he will probably need to walk a little.  If when he breaks for a walk, should I catch up and then walk with him, or should I run on?

Am I too archaic in thinking that a man's ego would be bruised if his wife beat him in a race?  I just don't want him getting discouraged, because I want him to run with me from now on.  I think it would be nice to finish the race together, but I also don't want to rein myself in too much.

Ha!  I say this now, but watch.  He'll probably beat me fair and square now!

If the race is important to you...one that you've been training hard for and you really want to put your best foot forward, so to speak, then do it...   If so, tell hubby this is your intent.

However, if that is not your intent, and you simply want to run strong with your husband and encourage him in this race and in his future running, then certainly do that.  There's no rules here...do what seems best for you in this situation.

One last question though...  How would your husband handle the situation if your roles were reversed?  That is if you were the newbie runner perhaps needing encouragement and/or an ego boost???

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

One more thing:  If you do choose to race it yourself, you'll be there at the finish line to be his biggest cheerleader.  Make lots of noise for him!!