Runner's Trots (Read 879 times)

How common is it for people to get diarrhea on the run? I ran my marathon with no problems at all but today in my attempted HM (see my log) it hit me hard and I had to DNF. Cry I took my normal prerace/prerun trip to the bathroom. Twice as usual and thought everything was fine. I had a powerbar for breakfast and some coffee (not a whole cup or esle I'd be in line to pee too many times). I'm wondering if that is where I went wrong in just having a powerbar. For my marathon I had a bagel with jelly and a bananna about an hour and a half before the race along with my usual cup of coffee. I thought for sure that would beeline me to the potties to poo but I got nothing (not that I'm complaining)! I also ate pretzels during my marathon because that seemed to keep things at bay in training. Plus the salt was nice. Do you think going for the harder effort could have done me in as well? I've had this problem in the past but I don't remember what I had or didn't have for breakfast. It's been at least 6 months since I've had this happen. The last time was on my first 14 mile training run for my marathon. Also when this happens it seems I crave salt. Do you think I should try some salt tablets? I was orginally thinking of taking some Immodium but I did a search and decided that may not be a good idea. What do you think? Have you ever used Immodium before a run/race? Please help! I don't want this to happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Undecided Tight lipped Cry Sad
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      Your breakfast is probably not the culprit. Look at what you at the night or day before. I normally steer clear of high fiber items, dried fruit and salads in the final 48 hours before a race. Also need to be aware of too much carbo loading - it leads to severe carbo unloading. And for what it is worth - never underestimate being a little nervous. If you were shooting for a PR or if you knew it was going to be a tough race course - some times that is enough to cause some GI distress. Sorry to hear about your DNF - go get'em next time. Kevin
      Don't let the fat fool you .....
      finney

Resident pinniped

I have a mild case of IBS so this happens to me moderately frequently. And you know, if you have occasional diarrhea, Immodium is OK to use, that's what it's there for. Wink It could have been the coffee that did it. Caffeine stimulates the bowels and ifyou were a little nervous or anything else, that's probably what did it. Or who knows what else, sometimes our bodies just act weird, you know? Also the reason you're craving salt is your body is dumping salts into your GI tract to attract more water to flush out whatever it perceives to be not right down there. I wouldn't take a salt tablet, just eat some pretzels or something.
          I would go along with the "nerves" diagnosis. When I get nervous, watch out! Wink I will say that I had this problem EVERY time I ran when I was just getting back into running. I contend it was my body rebelling against physical activity. I ran near a bathroom and continued running after 'my stop' and finally I quit needing to go. Good luck. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Check to see if any of the listed ingredients in the Powerbar are Mallitol or " Sugar Alcohols" they are KNOWN culprits to give people Horrid Diarrhea along with tons of rumbles of the tummy and passing wind.... Horrible stuff that I feel should be banned from food. Lots of bars have this nasty ingredient in it. Wishing you a Better HM very soon, and sending a hug of support from someone with a sensitive tummy also.... RCR Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Bugs

Sorry about your HM, but if this is your first encounter consider yourself blessed. I am a sensitive runner and have learned to do the following: Day Before Long Runs or Races 1. No veggies except tomatoes 2. No dairy. 3. Fruit is good. 4. Don't eat too much 5. No junk; potatoe chips, pop, chocolate, all make me do unplanned squats. Two days before L.R. I take a fiber supplement. Sometimes I follow the no veggie rule two days before L.R. Before a 20 mile run 1 Immodium A.D. Before a marathon 2 Immodium A.D.

Bugs