Starting Situps (Read 1596 times)

danielwinter

I've got a pot belly (not due to overeating or too much drinking, it's been there all my life!) and I'm finally trying to get rid of it. I don't know my weight, but the last time I went to the doc's I was normal and healthy, so my eating habits seem to be fine. In order to get rid of my belly, I've started running a little: 3k over 20 mins, a little portion uphill, four days a week. Nothing amazing, but I am just starting out :P I'm hoping that'll reduce my fat a little. Cool But what about situps? I know they won't reduce the fat on my tummy, but they'll help to complement the running and add some shape there, I'm hoping. So for a beginner, what should my weekly situp regimen be? Is there anything else I could be doing to lose some of that centralised fat? -Daniel P.S. And the irony is, the rest of my body is stick thin :P
      I've got a pot belly (not due to overeating or too much drinking
      I'd be willing to bet that this is exactly why its there. There are no magic bullets. As always, to get rid of fat - you must burn more calories than you consume. Will the situps help? Sure a little. And you might get some nice looking abs out of the deal - after you reduce your body fat. Some posters that follow will say things like "muscles burn more", HIIT, carb this, protein that, mumbo, jumbo, and blah blah blah - and some of it will be true. Mostly they will just be clouding the simple truth. Eat less and do more.
      Is there anything else I could be doing to lose some of that centralised fat?
      Yep. Run more.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Dave

Unlike some other muscle groups, you can work abs pretty much every day. However, as Bonkin sort of pointed to, belly fat isn't removed with belly exercises, it is removed with overall weight loss. Also, it is REALLY hard to just exercise your way to weight loss. Running a mile burns something like 130 calories or so. You can eat that without even thinking twice. Situps burn even less calories per minute than running. Calories in count as much as calories out. I recommend that you start by adding 4 or 5 minutes of abs and back work daily to your running routine. Doesn't sound like much but if you do it right, it will be plenty. Something like: 30 seconds crunches - Rest 15 seconds 30 seconds butterly kicks - Rest 15 seconds 30 second front plank - Rest 15 seconds 30 second side plan - Rest 15 seconds (repeat for both sides) 1 minute back extensions on a ball As you get stronger, increase to 45 seconds of effort on each activity and gradually increase your running to 4 or 5 days per week and at least 30 minutes per session.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Runner

swimming seems to help in the area of body fat pretty well too... it burns calories and requires good core strength to be good at and it improves your lats which will make your shoulders appear broader than your torso... this will help "fake it" until you've got the pesky belly fat off. I've been carrying a little extra aroudn the belly for a while now and it is from eating too many sugars...

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I've got a pot belly (not due to overeating or too much drinking, it's been there all my life!) and I'm finally trying to get rid of it. I don't know my weight, but the last time I went to the doc's I was normal and healthy, so my eating habits seem to be fine. In order to get rid of my belly, I've started running a little: 3k over 20 mins, a little portion uphill, four days a week. Nothing amazing, but I am just starting out :P I'm hoping that'll reduce my fat a little. Cool But what about situps? I know they won't reduce the fat on my tummy, but they'll help to complement the running and add some shape there, I'm hoping. So for a beginner, what should my weekly situp regimen be? Is there anything else I could be doing to lose some of that centralised fat? -Daniel P.S. And the irony is, the rest of my body is stick thin :P
            I have a very similar body type. It can be very frustrating. Keep up with the running. I've lost about 2.5 inches off my waist and 15 lbs since January. Still need to get the belly down more though. No fat anywhere else. Curse my genetics!!! Sit-ups are a good exercise but doing abs will do next to nothing to lower abdominal fat. They strengthen and build the abdominal muscles, nothing more. You can't spot reduce bodyfat. In fact, building abs too much without reducing bodyfat will make your belly look bigger. You don't need to do them every day. 5-10 minutes on them 2 to 3x per week is sufficient. Slim abs are 90% diet. You need a consistent caloric deficit. Here are some things to do to get bf% down: 1. weight training - do it 2-3x per week and focus on compound, multi-joint exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups/downs. Build muscle and you'll burn more calories even at rest. 2. Maintain a consistent caloric deficit. There are lots of online calculators to calculate your BMR and estimated calorie burn per day. Aim for a deficit of 300-500 calories per day (3500 calories = 1lb of bodyfat) 3. Keep up the running and gradually add miles I also like this site: http://www.hussmanfitness.org/. Great info on how calories work, metabolism, etc. Good luck!

Scout7

Run more. Sit ups. Push ups. HERE is the Army Physical Fitness Manual. Lots of information.
                Pilates.
                ymmv

google on 'situps' and 'back pain'. you might want to choose a different exercise.
                    google on 'situps' and 'back pain'. you might want to choose a different exercise.
                    True b/c people often do abdominal exercises incorrectly. I see a lot of dopes on the decline bench working their lower back and hip flexors to a pulp thinking they're working their abs. there's a thread here on favorite abdominal exercises: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/291164434b4549dea0694ceb3325f599

Ringmaster

Pilates.
                      +1 Good stuff for abs.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

running yogi

+1, I lost 3 inches around my waist in 3 months.
                        +1 Good stuff for abs.
                        danielwinter

Thanks everyone for the help so far!
                          I recommend that you start by adding 4 or 5 minutes of abs and back work daily to your running routine. Doesn't sound like much but if you do it right, it will be plenty. Something like: 30 seconds crunches - Rest 15 seconds 30 seconds butterly kicks - Rest 15 seconds 30 second front plank - Rest 15 seconds 30 second side plan - Rest 15 seconds (repeat for both sides) 1 minute back extensions on a ball As you get stronger, increase to 45 seconds of effort on each activity and gradually increase your running to 4 or 5 days per week and at least 30 minutes per session.
                          I tried out the exercises you suggested - I felt muscles I didn't know I had :P Oddly though, I could do the side plank on my right side (with difficultly, as I'm starting out, but I managed 30 seconds) but on my left side I found it impossible to stay in that position. Any tips or shall I just keep working on it and it'll improve? Also, what are butterfly kicks? A cursory google for that just came up with the kung fu move ^^