North Trail Half Marathon (Read 629 times)

I get to the race a little late - as in 9 minutes before the start and had to hit the porta potty before the race. I thought I had just enough time to hit it and get to the start - a little rushed but I would be on time. Hehe. The gun went off as soon as I got in. I hurried and headed to the start - which was 1/8 mile down. Nice. So I finally get to the starting line and rather than be disturbed, I was actually kind of glad I was late. The pack had thinned out pretty well. I may actually plan for this from now on Clowning around The race was run on a linear trail from White Rock Lake to the north. The trail was tree-lined - about half shady / half sunny and a relatively cool, clear day. Awesome place and weather for a run. About halfway through the out leg, I started getting this feeling of deja vu, but couldn't figure out why. When I got to the turnaround point, I realized that this trail was right behind an office building I used to work at in the early 90's and we used to come to this part of the trail to roller blade, etc. There had to be 3 or 4 hundred "Team in Training" people at the race. I don't think I've seen so much purple since I used to have to watch Barney with my daughter. I sometimes wish my kids were that young again, but I definitely don't miss Barney. Some notable people who made me smile: one woman somehow managed to get like 8 or 9 water bottles on some fuel belt type deal - she also had at least a dozen GU packs pinned to her shirt. I thought maybe I had mistakenly signed up for an ultra (or maybe she did). I was totally wishing I had a camera. If I had one, I would have also got one of the guy toting around a pound bag of jelly beans. I got my biggest smile of the day from seeing this one particular couple running together. The fact that they had to be late 70's / early 80's is what brought the grin. I cheered them on, of course. I hope I live to see 80, running at 80 would just be icing on the cake. I wasn't sure really how fast I should/would go - McMillan took my mile time and predicted a 2:03:34. I didn't really believe this as I still get the occasional ex-smoker hack, and so I was just hoping for 2:15 or better. I ended up finishing in 2:03:41. I was very happy with that time and I guess Mr. McMillan does know what he's talking about. Thanks to all of you guys and girls for all of your experience, advice, and support - I really don't think I would've even signed up for this, let alone finish without your help!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Burninated Peasant

Nice! I thought about signing up for this one, but I really hate driving all the way out there, so I did a 10k a little closer to home instead. Just in case I'm thinking about it again next year, how were the provisions after the run? This doesn't really matter for me, but goes a long way towards coaxing some family members to join me.
        It's a smallish race (420ish I think). They had the normal bananas, water, powerade, and a bunch of coolers with all sorts of sodas. Nothing exciting. As far as spectators go, the advantage of this, being an out and back is that they get to see you twice, and lots of shady spots for them to sit and playgrounds (depending on where they go) for the little ones.

good job Mike! That's too funny about the lady packed to the gills with water and GU. I was so shocked at a 5K I did yesterday when someone showed up in a Fuel Belt with 4 full bottles- don't they know that wearing all that is weighing you down for no reason? I don't think there's time to drink 1 8 oz bottle over 3 miles, let alone 4 of them!!
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

WTG Mike! You'll be under 2 hours before you know it. Nothing like getting a running start with a mad dash to the starting line, eh? At least it was a long race -- getting there a minute late for a 5k is a little different story. Pretty funny about the water-bottle holster.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

Nice race and report. I dont' miss Barney either!

Runners run

Thanks, guys! I am very motivated by my progress and am starting to plan for my first marathon.

Great writing - great job! I mentally pictured you 'in the pot' when the race started Embarrassed and then you kept the mental images coming - the older couple, the gu gal and more. Thanks for sharing it! lisak
                  Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                    Nice job!Congrats! Smile
                    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                      You beat your goal time by 12 minutes --- that's awesome! Congrats on a great race! Smile
                      2009: BQ?
                        Congrats on your race!! My goal for my first half is the White Rock Marathon in December. Where in Mansfield are you? I'm off of 360 near the sports complex.
                        Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
                          great race! love the report. Races are the best place to people watch. Big grin I would have a heart attack arriving 9minutes before the start! Shocked Glad it worked out for you, LOL.

Jennifer mm#1231

Thanks, everyone! Courtney - You, Derek and I are all very close - I'm near Matlock and Country Club. I plan to run White Rock as well - we will have to plan a DFW area RA meet up there. Smile Jen - I had one on the way there - I like to get to races a whole lot earlier than that.