Jogger hit by deer (Read 1229 times)

I have a theory about deer.  I think the smarter, braver ones are more likely to stand their ground and watch me...kind of sizing up the threat.  The dumber, timid ones all take off en masse, but there is always one that will stand still and sort of analyze me.  

I would agree with that ... Have seen many a deer about smack a tree as they retreat or be forced to try to jump across a ditch while dodging tree.

This deer was like "Slow Old guy .... Nothing to Worry About ... Its all Clear!"

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This deer was like "Slow Old guy .... Nothing to Worry About ... Its all Clear!"

I always imagine that they are thinking "look at her legs.  Do you guys SERIOUSLY think she could catch us...huh?"

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

When I was younger I was delivering cookies my mom had baked to the old lady accross the street.  Her door was down this alley like thing on the side of her house and unfourtunately I managed to corner a deer in there without seeing it.  It was so scared that it bowled me over gettin away.  Somehow the cookies survived and I was just a little shook up.

5k: 20:00

8k: 30:00

10k: 35:00

I live on a hill.  The big kinda hill.  Every workout is a hill workout.

You'll ruin your knees!

Not exactly a "jogger hit by deer" story, but DANG!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Kids nearby spooked a deer while I was out on a run once and it sprinted across the street so narrowly focused on going straight it didn't even see me on the sidewalk.  I had to stop so it didn't run me down and it went within 10 feet in front of me without even flinching.

There's a reason these things get hit by cars so much...they're not that bright...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not exactly a "jogger hit by deer" story, but DANG!

I worry about our whitetails becoming aggressive, too.  I've seen a few videos of whitetails attacking hunters.  I have been known to quietly tell the deer I see that it's OK...I'm not a threat.  It's more to soothe myself than them.  Heather73 is actually afraid of deer when she's out running.  I'm more fearful of the big-ass geese I've encountered (Canada and domestic).  They are MEAN and badass...hissin' at me.

~ Sarah Kay

If you don't spray deer piss all over yourself like the hunters in those videos do, you'll be okay.

Runners run

When I was younger I was delivering cookies my mom had baked to the old lady accross the street.  Her door was down this alley like thing on the side of her house and unfourtunately I managed to corner a deer in there without seeing it.  It was so scared that it bowled me over gettin away.  Somehow the cookies survived and I was just a little shook up.

Actually, I think that was the big bad wolf making his getaway.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you don't spray deer piss all over yourself like the hunters in those videos do, you'll be okay.

I won't put an injured deer (NSFW - language) in my car, either.

~ Sarah Kay

Oh deer. I heard the guy in the car was on his way back from a stag night.

Well done, sir.  Well done.

And who am I anyway?
                      Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I have a theory about deer.  I think the smarter, braver ones are more likely to stand their ground and watch me...kind of sizing up the threat.  The dumber, timid ones all take off en masse, but there is always one that will stand still and sort of analyze me.  Or maybe I have it backwards.  Maybe the ones that stand and watch are the stupid-heads. Tongue

Funny, I had a conversation with a Mt. biker friend who rides the same canyon that I run in and he told me that it is the males that run off like you're aiming a gun at them. The females just continue on munching grasses, doing their deer thing.  Kinda hard to check his theory, "hey, wait deer, leemme see, do you have..."  Maybe it could be a new speedwork drill.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.