My First Win (Read 1143 times)

I showed up to local race this morning.  As I'm toe-ing the starting line I look around and I see none of the usual suspects; No local legends, no high school track stars, nobody looks familiar.

Long story short, after a ho-hum 6:07 first mile, I'm all alone in the lead.  I hear the time called out for the guy behind me and I'm up 5 seconds or so.  I continued to run easy race miles for the next 3 miles (6:23, 6:19, 6:18) and coast into the finish chute at 25:14.  First place running away by over 90 seconds I felt like I had a LOT left in the tank but couldn't get motivated to push it harder today.

I've got a nice new plaque for my cube at work, but it sure feels like a hollow victory.  It was hot, humid and the event was nearly cancelled for various reasons & there were a number of other 5K's happening around the area today.

nothing to see here.  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations!  You were there and they weren't, so it's a legitimate win for you!

Thanks!  That's the way I see it. 

I was just expecting my first win to take a PR type effort, but it was nice that it didn't. 

nothing to see here.  

xhristopher

Good Job! I had one of these this summer to. Mine felt hollow too but, hey, what can you do? Just show up and run your best right? Really, I'd rather just post a new PR. Mine was on a cross country / trail weekly summer series event. Here's the strange part. Since it was my first time there, immediately upon crossing the finish line, I was submitted to 20 questions. I had to describe the turns, which paths I ran, and even give my last 5K time. I was released when my garmin revealed I ran ".01 mile" beyond the course length.

ultramarathon/triathlete

...it sure feels like a hollow victory.  It was hot, humid and the event was nearly cancelled for various reasons & there were a number of other 5K's happening around the area today...

Absolutly not a hallow victory.  You nailed it fair and square. 

You even said yourself that it was hot and humid, but you still managed a solid race.  Maybe it would have been a PR under different weather conditions anyway. 

You can't got hung up on who was NOT there racing against you.  This is a well earned win as far as I'm concerned!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

I picked up another win last weekend too.  now I've got a pair of 1st place awards on my desk.  It's kinda fun. I hope it continues. 

nothing to see here.  

an amazing likeness

I picked up another win last weekend too.  now I've got a pair of 1st place awards on my desk.  It's kinda fun. I hope it continues. 

Way to go!

Winning a race is #412 on the list of things that. will. never. happen. to me.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

I've won exactly one race since high school.  I have to say it was pretty fun, even though it was just a weekly 5k race series.  My prize was a picture of BadDawg and some of his friends.

Runners run

Believe

Congrats.  I have never won a race and probably never will, but hey I am running and like LED said, you were  there and they weren't.  Take the win.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

All wins are because no one faster showed up, except for races at the very top of the line.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

All wins are because no one faster showed up, except for races at the very top of the line.

Even then.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I showed up to local race this morning.  As I'm toe-ing the starting line I look around and I see none of the usual suspects; No local legends, no high school track stars, nobody looks familiar.

Long story short, after a ho-hum 6:07 first mile, I'm all alone in the lead.  I hear the time called out for the guy behind me and I'm up 5 seconds or so.  I continued to run easy race miles for the next 3 miles (6:23, 6:19, 6:18) and coast into the finish chute at 25:14.  First place running away by over 90 seconds I felt like I had a LOT left in the tank but couldn't get motivated to push it harder today.

I've got a nice new plaque for my cube at work, but it sure feels like a hollow victory.  It was hot, humid and the event was nearly cancelled for various reasons & there were a number of other 5K's happening around the area today.

Congrats. 25:14 ? The splits =19:00. Did stop to chat the last 0.1 mile. Surprised Should it be 20:14

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

twrex7

Congrats. 25:14 ? The splits =19:00. Did stop to chat the last 0.1 mile. Surprised Should it be 20:14

It appears to have been a 4 miler.

Great Job!!  I won my age group once and it felt great even when i knew it was only because of a weak field that day.. I'll take it! Smile

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It appears to have been a 4 miler.

Great Job!!  I won my age group once and it felt great even when i knew it was only because of a weak field that day.. I'll take it! Smile

"there were a number of other 5K's happening around the area today" BigJoe

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Join me in longer apologizing for placing in AG b/c others were no shows or were injured  Big grin

Our mantra "Any given day" Cool

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter