It's as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced... I fear something terrible has happened. (Read 961 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Heh, true, but I'd take looks of wonderment over the prequels' looks of wood-carved statues...

I have been told that the under-40 crowd prefers the prequels. Leaves me scratchin' my head.

Ex runner

I have been told that the under-40 crowd prefers the prequels. Leaves me scratchin' my head.

prequels have different cheesiness.  horrible dialoge, bad acting, weak character development, so-so plots, but rather cool special effects.

old movies had good effects in some ways (amazing for late 1970's) but yet some clunkiness.  acting was better.  though the dialoge was still kind of cheesy. 

I understand where they are comming from.  even a crappy X-box 360 game is probably better than the best Atari game ever made. 

Disney and Star Wars.  What could possibly go wrong?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Hoban-Jay

The way I see it, Disney can't do any worse than GL did with his last three.  If you think about it, GL was preparing for this...Jar-Jar Binks would have been better suited as a Disney character than as a Star Wars character.  (Think Roger Rabbit...)

Queen of 3rd Place

A small, idealistic part of me just died. 

Ex runner

Feeling the growl again

I have been told that the under-30 crowd prefers the prequels. Leaves me scratchin' my head.

FIFY.  Wink

Ack.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

prequels have different cheesiness.  horrible dialoge, bad acting, weak character development, so-so plots, but rather cool special effects.

old movies had good effects in some ways (amazing for late 1970's) but yet some clunkiness.  acting was better.  though the dialoge was still kind of cheesy. 

I understand where they are comming from.  even a crappy X-box 360 game is probably better than the best Atari game ever made. 

Maybe I am beyond my years in achieving old stooginess...but I will take OK special effects over bad plot, bad dialogue, and bad acting any day.  There is a reason I see 1-2 flicks in the theater a year at most.  It's really hard to find movies worth paying for anymore.  Hard enough to find ones DVR-worthy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am under 30.  I still enjoy the originals, but I never even made it through all the prequels.

I have been told that the under-30 crowd prefers the prequels. Leaves me scratchin' my head.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

This, in my opinion, is the best treatise on Star Wars episode ordering ever written.  

TL;DR:  "Next time you want to introduce someone to Star Wars for the first time, watch the films with them in this order: IV, V, II, III, VI

Notice something? Yeah, Episode I is gone.

Episodes II and III aren’t exactly Shakespeare, but standing next to the complete and utter trainwreck that is Episode I, they sure look like it. At least, III does anyway.

Episode I is a failure on every possible level."

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Feeling the growl again

I am under 30.  I still enjoy the originals, but I never even made it through all the prequels.

If age was to be considered the bar by which special effects were to make up for lack of real quality, I was just trying to push it back to someone younger than me.  Wink

This will date me...I recall taking my then-girlfriend to the Episode I premier.  So this would have had to been what, spring 2000?  She was much more of the sci-fi geek type than me.  I was 21, she only 18 (yeah shut up!).  Yet we both thought it sucked.  I'm reaching to find who thought the new overshadows the old trilogy.  Of course now when they show the "old" trilogy they are usually showing the remastered versions of the "old" which IIRC were released just prior to the Episode I (I saw the re-dos in the teatre too).

A small, idealistic part of me just died. 

Ha!  Actually, I'm pretty optimistic after the prequels.  I mean, honestly, could it get much worse than that.?  Of course, I'll maintain this optimism until Jar-Jar shows up in Episode 7.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

A Saucy Wench

shudder

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Queen of 3rd Place

This, in my opinion, is the best treatise on Star Wars episode ordering ever written.  

TL;DR:  "Next time you want to introduce someone to Star Wars for the first time, watch the films with them in this order: IV, V, II, III, VI

Notice something? Yeah, Episode I is gone.

Episodes II and III aren’t exactly Shakespeare, but standing next to the complete and utter trainwreck that is Episode I, they sure look like it. At least, III does anyway.

Episode I is a failure on every possible level."

That was a hoot even if it was tl, and this almost made me spit out some decent port:

"Unfortunately, Release Order is also an instant failure, and the reason is a single shot. If you’re watching the original trilogy first, then after the Empire is destroyed and everyone is celebrating, Luke looks over at his mentors, Ben Kenobi and Yoda, and suddenly they are joined by… some random creepy looking teenager who needs a haircut."

Ex runner

If age was to be considered the bar by which special effects were to make up for lack of real quality, I was just trying to push it back to someone younger than me.  Wink

This will date me...I recall taking my then-girlfriend to the Episode I premier.  So this would have had to been what, spring 2000?  She was much more of the sci-fi geek type than me.  I was 21, she only 18 (yeah shut up!).  Yet we both thought it sucked.  I'm reaching to find who thought the new overshadows the old trilogy.  Of course now when they show the "old" trilogy they are usually showing the remastered versions of the "old" which IIRC were released just prior to the Episode I (I saw the re-dos in the teatre too).

I figured that's what you were doing--and I just wanted to push it down to even younger. Smile

My students (I teach high school English) tend to fall into the "ohhhh, shiny!" trap a lot.  When I hear them talk about why X movie was better than Y--or why X game was better than its predecessors--a staggering number of them reference graphics first.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek