Fun Run (Read 472 times)

va

Sorry if this is a dumb question... If I see an event called a "Fun Run", what does this imply? Is this a race, or just a bunch of people running around for the fun of it. Confused
    Scout7

Fun runs tend to be just that: Organized runs more for the fun of it. Most of the ones I've seen are centered around raising money and awareness, either for some sort of cause, or for a group. There may or may not be prizes, and if there are, it's usually a small number. I've seen some that are geared towards a more family-friendly environment than the actual race (shorter distance, less competitive type of deal).
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

To me, the implication is usually something about a mile in length geared for kids. In this context, it's usually one small race in conjunction with a larger "real" race or races. i.e. an event that has a 10k/5k/ 1-mile fun run. The kids run the fun-run, the 10k and 5k are more serious...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

va

The event that prompted this question is a "5K Fun Run & Walk". There are prizes to the top 3 overal male and female finishers. Sounds just like a race to me.
          derek

The event that prompted this question is a "5K Fun Run & Walk". There are prizes to the top 3 overal male and female finishers. Sounds just like a race to me.
            I entered a "5K Fun Run" this coming Saturday, but if you want to be considered for a prize, you need to get a chip on the day of the race. It's not like past races I've done where everyone was automatically given a chip. My assumption is that most people wouldn't care about prizes and will just go run the 5K for "fun". I will of course be getting a chip :-). I'm on a mission to get a new 5K PR!

Derek

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Anythin g with the words "5k" and "run" in the name is not a fun run. It is a race. Period. Unless you don't take the chip.
                I've never run a 5K that used chip timing. Around here the term generally means a low-key, no-frills race. A lot of times these are part of a weekly series. Basically a group of people get together every week for an informal race. Somebody says "go" and they start running. There are no prizes, no professional timing and scoring, no t-shirt. The start/finish lines of these weekly fun runs are often found just a few steps of local watering holes. Funny, that.

Runners run

In the context of how it's being presented, I think it means that you can run hard and race hard, but those wishing to walk it can feel free to do so. In reality, I think it means the race organizer doesn't want to discourage anyone wishing to write a check and the participants can be as serious (or un-serious) as they wish to be.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.