Chi Running (Read 960 times)

Anyone ever hear of Chi Running? My local sports store is hosting a clinic and i was wonder if anyone has heard of this or if anyone out there uses this? Orion

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

Nope. Never heard of it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Chi Running Here you go I don't know how to do the cool way to link, so I had to put the whole thing up there....Can somebody help a brother make a "proper" link so I dont' have to have the whole web addy up there
        2009 Goals...:
        -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon

Renee the dog

Anyone ever hear of Chi Running? My local sports store is hosting a clinic and i was wonder if anyone has heard of this or if anyone out there uses this? Orion
          Yep. I would say I'm only 80% there, but since starting this after an ITB injury, I've been injury-free since. It really helped me find a better form for running. YMMV.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Scout7

Run easy most of the time. Build your mileage slowly. Concentrate on your body; listen to what it's telling you. The form-specific stuff is debatable. It works for some people; for others, it causes problems. That's about it in a nutshell, really.
              http://www.amazon.com/ChiRunning-Danny-Dreyer/dp/074325144X/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202149144&sr=8-1 Here you go I don't know how to do the cool way to link, so I had to put the whole thing up there....Can somebody help a brother make a "proper" link so I dont' have to have the whole web addy up there
              I didn't get this either at first. Here's an explanation: click Hope I did that right.

Amy

JakeKnight

Chi running is a controversial topic. Along with its cousin the "Pose" running method, it creates a lot of heated discussion. I tell you this because you'll see some strong opinions. There is a lot of info on it if you use the search function. Here are a couple threads: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/ee4372b64ebb4a45b9a64c39607dbc58#focus http://runningahead.com/groups/read_run/Forum/Post/f1055645213b40ccb3edf7b60353ef9a#focus You might also want to just Google around a bit. The bottom line is that some people think its God's gift to running; others think its, at best, psuedo-scientific quakery designed to make a buck. I know nothing about it. Except that there aren't many middle-ground opinions on the topic. So be warned.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Most of those "systems" are designed to shorten your stride and get you running light on your feet. I used the book Programmed to Run by Thomas Miller with excellent results. You'll find a lot of the same information and techniques in there without the need to sign up for a program. Tom
                  mikeymike

Chi Running seems a lot more expensive than regular running.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I've heard of Chi but have no deep knowledge as I frankly assumed it was likely a gimmick. Pose, on the other hand, only works as claimed if you believe the laws of physics can be broken.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I didn't get this either at first. Here's an explanation: click Hope I did that right.
                        Thanks for the explanation/link Dragon.. Sorry for the interruption and back to your regularly scheduled program
                        2009 Goals...:
                        -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Of course, you can also then do fun stuff like this: http://www.newyorkgiants.com Evil grin
                          jeffdonahue

A few years back I bought the "Chi Running" book when I was doing triathlons. It seems like a widely practiced running technique among triathletes and seems to be very similar to the POSE method. Basically, the running technique implements a forward lean (not bend - back is straight but you lean your whole body forward) so that gravity will pull you forward. The farther forward you lean, the faster you go. It also talks about basically just lifting your leg up instead of doing a full forward and backward swing like a normal run. I went to a running clinic a few years back and they mentioned some of the same techniques. You should have a forward lean when you run, push your knee forward - not up, and stay light on your feet. Not sure if it helps but this was my experience with it. I never really did much with the Chi Running because the book didnt do a great job of explaining it, but if you were at a class maybe you could get more out of it than I did. Jeff