Thoughts on Udo's Oil 3-6-9 Blend (Read 142 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've been seeing this advertised in the UltraRunning mag, and the Trail mag for over a year... and I finally decided to try it out. I figured I would come on here and ask if other runners have tried it, are using it and what they think of it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Kalsarikännit

I have heard lots of positive things about omega-3's for recovery, but my understanding is that the typical person already gets too much omega-6 in their diet and should not be supplementing with it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

What foods have Omega 6? I will have to google that one.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Do.

Omega-6 is rampant in processed foods and seed oils.

Omega-3 - specifically DHA and EPA - are what you're after if you're looking to fight inflammation.

Works wonders when in balance with omega-6 intake. I've been able to trash the contents of my medicine cabinet since getting this right.

What foods have Omega 6? I will have to google that one.

Liz

pace sera, sera

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Ahhh, processed crap. Well, it might be overkill but I figure it's a great way to sneak these into DH's diet since he avoid healthy/nature/real food at all cost, claiming it gives him a headache.

PRs

Hoban-Jay

I have heard lots of positive things about omega-3's for recovery, but my understanding is that the typical person already gets too much omega-6 in their diet and should not be supplementing with it.

That's true of the Omega 6's in corn, and soy oils etc...   But GLA is an Omega 6 that we do NOT get in our diets, and our bodies desparately need...in part to balance out the innundation of the "bad" Omega 6s but also, from a runner's stand point, to deal with the inflammation throughout our bodies that we deal with constantly...even more so than the average person.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's true of the Omega 6's in corn, and soy oils etc...   But GLA is an Omega 5 that we do NOT get in our diets, and our bodies desparately need...in part to balance out the innundation of the "bad" Omega 6s but also, from a runner's stand point, to deal with the inflammation throughout our bodies that we deal with constantly...even more so than the average person.

There's a 5???? Lol, I need to do a little more reading, I just figure this will help supplement whatever I am not getting through my normal diet.

PRs

bhearn

Must be a typo; it's an omega-6.

I may have to try this type of oil instead of my regular fish oil supplement.

My Dr told me to stop taking fish oil supplements because some recent studies have linked them to higher risks of prostrate cancer.  The problem is it's not clear yet if it's the fish oil, or the Omega 3's.

Damned if we do and damned if we don't....

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Must be a typo; it's an omega-6.

I thought so lol.

PRs

prostrate cancer.  

That's when cancer just makes you need to lie down for a while.

Dave