Cool Running...hmmm...? (Read 1183 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So what is the drama that happened over there? I've really only read their forums when I've done a Google search for something and have had results including threads there. Lately I've seen a few new RA folks who have made mention of some sort of frustration there. Just curious as to what went down. Rest assured, RA is about the most drama-free message board I have ever spent time on (knock on wood). It's good peeps here. I've been on far too many boards that have erupted in all-out wars (generally the higher percentage of us gals, the more drama ensues)...I've come to avoid spending time on sites that leave me tense. Obviously RA doesn't do that... Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm curious as well. My understanding is that CR merged with Active.com and the merger didn't go as planned and users either lost their logs or are frustrated with the new functionality. I'm sure a recent refugee will come and enlighten us.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey Zoom, I was a long-time member of CR although in the last 6 months or so I had pretty much quit participating. They were going the way of all the big sites, they just had more and more ads and the membership was just getting nastier and the site became a big insult-fest. A few months ago a lot of members split off to a rival site, kickrunner or kickrunners (I forget which), but since they were the same meanies that had been on Coolrunning, it was not any better. Then recently they were bought by active.com, which is NOT a big favorite of mine, I think they are profiteers and I avoid dealing with active.com whenever possible. Now after the buyout they've changed the login, so if, for example, you used to be zoom-zoom, now you would have to log in as zoom-zoom196, presumably because there 195 other zoom-zooms before you Roll eyes Whatever. I'm done with Coolrunning, or active.com, or whatever they are calling themselves now. All the "big" sites are just corporate cash-generators and will inevitably end up in the same place. It has gotten to the point where I will not even mention RA to anyone unless I really trust them. I don't want any of those a--holes joining up here. To Eric: Thank you , thank you, thank you for maintaining a great site. Another donation is coming via PayPal.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

TriGail

Cool Running was user-friendly and had lots of cool featues...easy to view previous workouts, month/year tallys and pace, graphs, search, comparisons of pace/distance/time of a particular exercise or race distance, , automatic pace calculations for any sport, etc.. It was well thought out and I used it for 8-9 years almost daily. It was bought by Active.com....who totally messed it up by trying to "improve it" and took out many of the great features and added some stupid ones that only non-exercisers would think were useful. It takes tons of clicks and 2 logins to get to the log (hard to find), and takes many more clicks to log anything. It's really hardly of any use, completely non-user friendly, and it seems the forums are full of people suggesting other places to go. The IT staff at active.com are not responding well and that is angering many people too.
          BeeRunB

Refugee (funny) here. My main preoccupation was the Maffetone training thread in the Basic Training area. My main beef was that they replaced the forum software and design with a completely awful one with less features, misaligned fixed width pages, hard to look at color scheme, having to login every 5 minutes, etc. Didn't like it anymore. So, I found the Low-HR Training group here and plan to participate. Other people not only don't llke the new design, but had major problems with other things. Major bummer when you've had a great place to connect with others for years, and Active comes in buys and destroys it. Such is life. But a lot of people are upset and pissed off. So here is one a--hole that has come over and joined. Not to worry, I'm a mellow fat-burner, and fat is the only thing I flame. --Jimmy

TriGail

Also, many years ago, Kick Running was the original site that I was a member of....and it joined up with Cool Running to become the Cool Running site. It's interesting that they are back (or never totally left?)...I tried to look at the kick running site but it is crashed from all the CR people looking for an alternative to active.com. THAT transition from kick to CR went fairly well...much better than this one!
                Let it be known that modal doesn't like www.active.com.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So here is one a--hole that has come over and joined. Not to worry, I'm a mellow fat-burner, and fat is the only thing I flame. --Jimmy
                  Hey, I have some you are welcome to burn...it seems to like sticking to me FAR too much! Tongue OK, that makes sense...I think I had heard something about the active.com takeover. How frustrating for those who had had logs over there for so long. I read and post a bit at the RW forums, but the ads, slow pages, and rampant trolls doesn't have me there much. The trolls and spammers who find this place are kinda fun, but not too frequent.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

So here is one a--hole that has come over and joined. Not to worry, I'm a mellow fat-burner, and fat is the only thing I flame. --Jimmy
                    Oops, just to be clear, my "a-hole" comment only referred to a handful of people over there, most of them were fine.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

It's good peeps here.
                      That's because we all love each other. Big grin
                      "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                        Lots of good boys and girls on RA! - Santa

Dave

I'm a recent convert from CR. Glad to hear about the drama free boards here. The big issue for alot of folks on CR was what Active did with their running logs. My log, as an example, transferred only about half my mileage. Shoe tracking turned into a bad joke. Many folks had kept their logs on there for YEARS and Active had plenty of time to plan for the transition and completely jacked it up. Good riddance. I'm seeing some of the really great folks from CR start to pop up on these boards. I created a User Group called CR Refugees (i might have coined the term in an email to Eric before it landed on his homepage). Hopefully CR converts can recongregate there as we get to know folks here on RA. Seems like a great group. r/ Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Scout7

Well, first off, welcome to all the refugees. Second, this sounds like exactly what happened waaaaaaay back with the whole RW message board. I just don't think they get it, sometimes. Oh, well. Actually, you all picked a good time to hop on board. With the new year starting soon, you can look into joining one of the mileage groups (except for that 2K group, we don't like to mention them.....red headed step-children, as it were). Look around, introduce yourselves as you get comfortable. Most of us don't bite, unless asked. Oh, and watch for monkeys.
                              I'm a long time CoolRunner, but I only posted there 7,008 times or so...
                              MM# 1477
                                CR refugee here; actually, I took the active.com takeover as a Sign from Above to stop wasting so much time on the boards. So, uh, I have found my way to this forum... Roll eyes (Please whack me upside the head if I go over 2 posts/day) Hello everyone! Nice to meet you! Renee in Oregon