where do the old shoes go (Read 720 times)

Hey! This is the first time I've really monitored the age of my running shoes, so I'm about to retire one or two pairs - but where do they go besides the bottom of my closet? Is there some place where they recycle them, shred them into bitty pieces and they magically turn into corporate wall to wall carpeting or roof shingles? Any thoughts? Ayola

Recalculating...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Many communities have shoe recycling programs where your shoes are given to people who have none. They may be too worn down for you to keep running, but they are still good enough to clothe somebody with no shoes. Check at your local running stores.
        Many communities have shoe recycling programs where your shoes are given to people who have none. They may be too worn down for you to keep running, but they are still good enough to clothe somebody with no shoes. Check at your local running stores.
        Yup! Smile I've been to a lot of races where organizations collect old running shoes -- great idea.
        2009: BQ?
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We also have a program in town that allows prisoners to learn to run (yeah yeah, I know, bBut it keeps them healthy and is better than other ways they can use their free time.) They also take shoe donations.
            Hey Trent -- I read in article about that in the most recent issue of RR, I think ... is that your town?
              Shoe heaven? Cool
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey Trent -- I read in article about that in the most recent issue of RR, I think ... is that your town?
                RR? It is part of training for an event called the "Jaunt in the Joint", and they have a 5k, a HM and a full M, run on a third-mile grassy track. For the event, regular folks get to go inside the prison and run with the prisoners. I have done it several times. They always let me out. At least they have so far...
                  There's an organization in Boulder, CO called One World Running that collects "new or near new" shoes for use in developing countries to promote healthy lifestyles. http://www.boulder-running.com/oneworldrunning/about.php Older, beat-up shoes are ground up and made into running tracks and playground equipment. The org also collects t-shirts, school supplies, and other stuff.
                  The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison
                    Trent, it was in Runner's World --- I'm looking though last month's issue, and I don't see it ... maybe it was a couple issues ago ... anyhow, it was about prisoners running, cool read.
                      Here's another site to check out... pretty cool http://www.soleresponsibility.org/
                        Thank everyone, I'll check out that site and my local resources. A

Recalculating...

Misinformation Officer

Funny you mention this... I just started a non-profit that collects used athletic shoes and sends them to developing nations. There's a lot more to the process than I ever imagined, but we'll be rolling by spring, and I'll let you all know more. We got the idea from a tree-hugger perspective and then saw soleresponsiblity.org and then designed our own project for friends who run a women's hospital in Rwanda. Interestingly, there is not a lot of market in the US, Canada, or Mexico for used athletic shoes, unless they are getting recycled into something else. Developing nations *do* have a need for these shoes, though, and often cannot accept *new* shoes b/c it is too much of a risk for the agency/nonprofit to have such "valuable" items on hand. (We did not know this until talking with our friends in Rwanda. You don't want to know the stories they told us.) Anyway, I'll keep y'all updated on the project, as soon as we get our paperwork to be legal!
                            Pre going to bed early post and not staying up playing with the new computer. You know originally I was looking for an environmental recycle instead of use by people who are in need, but I'm really into this type of project. Thanks everyone for the links. Thinbyxmas - good luck and please keep us posted. A

Recalculating...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Funny you mention this... I just started a non-profit that collects used athletic shoes and sends them to developing nations. There's a lot more to the process than I ever imagined, but we'll be rolling by spring, and I'll let you all know more.
                              I will have at least 2 pair to send you when you are ready. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I just started a non-profit that collects used athletic shoes and sends them to developing nations. ..... I'll keep y'all updated on the project, as soon as we get our paperwork to be legal!
                                I'll have shoes for you also. I would rather see them on somebody else's feet than as a rubberized playground. Ewa
                                I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill