P90x (Read 6266 times)

So for the last few months i have been relying on p90x to stay in shape. Since winter began i admit i have not ran much at all. It is difficult to get motivaded when it is 0 and dark out. So last week with almost no running in 3 months i entered a 5k. I did not expect a great time. But to my surprise i cut a minute off my fastest 5k! I am very pleased. So i just want to tell everyone that my experience is living proof cross training is effective. And also that p90x works. Though if i did some running my time may of been better. P90x is a tough challenge and takes a strong commitment to press play every day.
    http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
    KateH

I love P90X. I've been doing it for 10 weeks and have noticed a difference in my running too. Thank you for sharing your success, it's an inspiration. I think I'm going to start another 90 days in April and try "doubles" until June to increase my weekly miles. My plan is to start training in June for a fall (Sept) marathon. Do you think I should try maintaining two days of strength during marathon training? or is that too much? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Why is it sideways?

Pee 90 times.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pee 90 times.
          That's a fortnight.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

P 90x, Beach Body (pyramid game), un-qualified personal trainers, "coaches",, No thanks on the Kool Aide. I will run lots and worry about how I look in a mirror next time I'm on the boardwalk. But glad it works for y'all.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've heard good things about it but apparently it's a really hard workout and requires you to give up beer. That was the deal killer for me. Anyway I don't have the energy to do that and run too.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I began to mix some higher mileage with p90x. Im not an expert but the strength training should be good mix in your training. Though doubles w marathon training may be a bit much. Im a firm beliver that rest is just as essential as all the other aspects of training. Im probably gonna do p90x+ when winter comes again and keeps me indoors And as for the unqualified trainer thing.. The workouts are no secret to sucess. There things we see everyday. I like it because it provides good discipline in my routine. Im not as likely to blow off a workout. . Im down for anything that keeps me in shape and movin Cool
                  Yeah beer is no fun to give up. But hey unless your looking to lose a belly no reason you would need to give it up. The nutrition guide they give you is no crazy fad diet. Its the obvious well balanced no junk food deal.

Bugs

I'd love some ideas on how to incorporate with running. Right now I'm am trying to do Chest & Back, Shoulders & Arms, and Ab Ripper along with my running.

Bugs

a.wesolowski

Yeah beer is no fun to give up.

is it just me or are runners obsessed with beer??

Think Whirled Peas

is it just me or are runners obsessed with beer??

There is no such thing as an obsession with beer. 

We call it love.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

JoeShort

I started reading this thread to hear more about P90x, but now I have to go get a beer!
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Does it depend on your body weight, how many beers it takes to Pee 90x?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

P90X is great training, but does very little for your running.

For quite a few years I couldn't run on a consistent basis due to calf injuries. In lieu of running, I did lots of P90X type exercises only on my own, and/or part of group exercise classes at work. I was in pretty good over-all physical shape, controlled/lost weight, but couldn't do "jack" if/when I entered local 5K races. After about a mile, I was dead. 

So, IMO, if you can't run due to injury reasons, P90X type programs are excellent. Those TV commercials don't lie. But, you better be prepared to work hard, very hard.  It's a lot like running, the more you put into it, the more you benefit.

So for the last few months i have been relying on p90x to stay in shape. Since winter began i admit i have not ran much at all. It is difficult to get motivaded when it is 0 and dark out. So last week with almost no running in 3 months i entered a 5k. I did not expect a great time. But to my surprise i cut a minute off my fastest 5k! I am very pleased. So i just want to tell everyone that my experience is living proof cross training is effective. And also that p90x works. Though if i did some running my time may of been better. P90x is a tough challenge and takes a strong commitment to press play every day.

I'm actually thinking about doing this. What is the diet plan like? I'm actually thinking about cutting down my running and I want to gain muscle mass, but I'm not looking for huge bulky muscles just definition. Do you think P90x would work for me? I don't need to lose weight. The only thing that has me skeptical is the whole 90 day thing. It's obviously a 90 day progressive approach to fitness but what happens after 90 days? I'm looking for more of a life long fitness thing not 90 day fitness thing.

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?