P90x (Read 6266 times)

And what kind of time requirment is invloved?
    PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
      The time is about an hour a day, six days a week.  I did P90X after the Disney Marathon to lose a few pounds to go after a good time in the fall.  The workouts were outstanding, the nutrition makes a lot of sense...it just all works.  Just stick with it.  I've known a few guys who couldn't handle more than a few weeks.  If you're a runner, though, you can handle the commitment.

In my opinion I think P90X will benefit any runner. Your time commitment is about an hour a day.  3 days a week you can add 15 minutes to that since you also have to do the Ab Ripper work out and on yoga x day that work out is about an hour and a half. You rest on the 7th day or do stretch x.  The great thing about P90X is you use muscles you never knew you had. I can't believe how sore my hip flexors were the first 2 weeks of doing this. I thought I was in pretty good shape before I started but I still tossed my cookies on day 1. I was lifting about 3 times a week and running about 4 miles 4 times a week but still P90X was difficult at first.  

When you are done with the initial 90 days you can just incorporate P90X into your weekly work out of running, weight training or what ever you do. There is also P90X Plus to help you mix it up and Tony Horton also has One on One with Tony Horton which is a new work out every month.

Bottom line is P90X works if you follow the plan. For me I love the work outs. Others may not. You may like apples and others may not.  If you live in MI and want to try it out just let me know and you can swing by and we can do a work out together to see how you like it before you invest the money.  Just so you know you also will need a pull up bar, dumbells or resistence bands and the will to work extremely hard.

The earlier comment about coaching was a little misrepresented also.  I know because I am a coach.  Coaches in no way claim to be personal trainers or nutritionists. As a coach your goal is to help spread the message of fitness and help others where they need help.  Maybe they just need someone to talk to, maybe they have a question on the nutrition plan, maybe they need help navigating the website. The Team Beachbody community is a great place to find people who love fitness and love to help others.

On a side note, Beachbody has just come out with "Insanity".  Pure Cardio and you use your body weight as resistance. They say it is the toughest work out ever put on dvd. You can preview it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWF43FXxJhI   (hope link is ok to post)

If anyone has any direct questions about P90X, the exercises or the nutrition plan feel free to send me a message.

i sacrificed the gift

I'm a travelling consultant who lives out of hotels in a different city each week, which puts gyms pretty much out of the picture.

I did P90x a few months ago when I was bored with running.  It actually works pretty well as an all-around fitness routine.

I don't think that you could run seriously (say 50 mpw or more) and do P90X though.  Maybe if you just did the 3 strength workouts and ran in place of the plyo/kenpo/yoga dvds, in addition to running on strength days.

Their way of selling it, with multi-level marketing and "coaches" is certainly offputting, and makes it seem like a gimmick.  But it's actually a pretty good routine.

I think simplefit ( http://simplefit.org ) and running is a lot more straight and to the point though.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
          Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
          Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

i sacrificed the gift

What is the diet plan like? I'm actually thinking about cutting down my running and I want to gain muscle mass, but I'm not looking for huge bulky muscles just definition. Do you think P90x would work for me? I don't need to lose weight. The only thing that has me skeptical is the whole 90 day thing. It's obviously a 90 day progressive approach to fitness but what happens after 90 days? I'm looking for more of a life long fitness thing not 90 day fitness thing.

It's a low carb diet.  You won't gain significant muscle mass on P90X without some serious eating.  It's more of a routine for cutting fat.

The coaching program has only been around for about 2 years. Beachbody has been selling work out videos through infomercials and other media for about 10 years. The coaching program was implemented  because hundreds of thousands of people purchase these programs through the infomercials.  These customers need some guidance and support so what Beachbody does is after the initial purchase they assign those customers to us and now they are our customers. This process makes up an awesome community of like minded individuals. What seperates this company form others is we are selling a lifestyle change.  Pick a work out program, stick with it, change your eating habits, get the proper nutrition and share with others. In the mean time you will be rewarded for following your passion.

i sacrificed the gift

But the system allows for anyone to be a coach.  There is no method of quality assurance or credibility for coaches, and in fact the discounts even incentivize newbies to become coaches.

It's not "guidance and support" if the people coaching don't have any level of accountability or training.  It's pure shilling.

Case in point:

1) You haven't even completed P90X yet ( see http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/db92933a9dc24675bd53506a0d22c46a#focus , which is an obvious spam)

2) You have no physical trainer credentials (at least not that are posted on your website -- which if you were legitimate, you would)

3) But you're a certified beachbody coach, and you built a website that took 5 minutes and a godaddy account, and now you are shilling on this message board.

I think this is a clear illustration that beachbody's multi-level marketing "coaching" broken is clearly intended to drive sales, with little regard to "support or guidance".

You are definitely entitled to your opinion.  I have never claimed to be a personal trainer or nutritionist of any sort.

Not sure how the post you are referring to is spam.  I have never asked anyone to purchase anything from me.  I am simply stating what I know about P90X.  Just as you are entitled to your opinion I am as well.

No I haven't completed P90X yet. I have 9 days left. Never said I was done yet.

Coaches are not certified. Anyone that has a drive to help others can be a coach.  Caoches simply share their platform knowledge and knowledge of Beachbody work outs and supplements.

My website took a little more than 5 minutes to build as I am not that tech savy and I do host it at godaddy but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Let's use this example so you can get a better picture. Someone calls off of an infomercial to purchase P90X. After the purchase that customer is assigned to a coach in case they have questions. Maybe the coach never even did p90X but at least they can guide them to the answers they need.  What is the harm in that. People love it in fact. Better than talking to some customer service rep that can barely speak English.

Actually, I'm not sure why we are talking about coaching.  I was simply commenting on my experience with P90X and as you stated earlier "It actually works pretty well as an all-around fitness routine", so let's just stick to the topic. P90X. Do I feel comfortable selling a product I believe in and know works? Absolutely! The proof is in the results.

RickyB

But the system allows for anyone to be a coach.  There is no method of quality assurance or credibility for coaches, and in fact the discounts even incentivize newbies to become coaches.

It's not "guidance and support" if the people coaching don't have any level of accountability or training.  It's pure shilling.

Case in point:

1) You haven't even completed P90X yet ( see http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/db92933a9dc24675bd53506a0d22c46a#focus , which is an obvious spam)

2) You have no physical trainer credentials (at least not that are posted on your website -- which if you were legitimate, you would)

3) But you're a certified beachbody coach, and you built a website that took 5 minutes and a godaddy account, and now you are shilling on this message board.

I think this is a clear illustration that beachbody's multi-level marketing "coaching" broken is clearly intended to drive sales, with little regard to "support or guidance".

Calm Down. People have been flipping out on this website lately??????Why would you attack this guy? so what, he likes p90x. As for the coaching, People on this website ask RUNNERS for medical advice!

Calm Down. People have been flipping out on this website lately??????Why would you attack this guy? so what, he likes p90x. As for the coaching, People on this website ask RUNNERS for medical advice!

Right on. He caused a nice fuss in the Palin thread too, but it's all good. Some people just like to be the anonymous a-hole on the internet.

amarrin1

I've done just the ab routine and it was pretty good. If u like the feeling of your abs being real tight after u work on them, try it. Its also nice bcuz theres a video and they show u how to do everything and even tell u the easy to do it and a hard way for when ur more advanced.

will run for popsicles

whenever i'm in san diego i enjoy listening to 91x. great alternative rock. and it's gotta be better than 90x. 1 better. not sure it's improved my abs though.

i will gladly serve as a 91x coach if people have questions.

As I do more research on P90X it seems to be one of those routines designed to take overweight folks and shed bodyfat.

Whenever I seek an alternataive fitness regime to running it's always some kind of set up designed to shed bodyfat. Really that's not my goal. I sit at 130 lb 5'7' male, 9% bodyfat. I actually want to stay lean and just add 20-30 lbs of muscle. It seems that the overweight crowd gets spoon fed by the fitness industry, P90X, crossfitt, the suppelments, they even get experts to tell them exactly what exercises to do daily and exactly what to eat.

With my goals where can I seek guidence?

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

In my humble opinion I think it would be tough to gain 20-30lbs of muscle with P90X.  When I started I weighed 170. I'm about 161 now and I didn't want to lose  any weight.  It was all beer fat that I lost so I guess I'm happy but after next week I will hit the weights again, do some running and mix in P90X.

If you want to gain 20-30 lbs you will need to eat clean, eat a ton and work with heavier weights and low reps.

I'm going to have to check out 91x. 

We have 89x here in michigan. Actually it is a windsor station.    funny

It is a very good workout. Very well done, but A LOT OF WORK. You really need to have the time, and energy. If I wasn't so into running, I would have this energy, but theres not way you can work, take running seriously, and then have the energy to do those workouts.

I will do them here and there as a cross training piece. Not following the 90 day regiment, nor doing the entire workout (they are two sets), so I will do one, and just do it until I feel good.

Like I said, I would do much more, but running is too important! Smile

PS -- his Yoga is really good! You'll feel the stretch!

"Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine