P90x (Read 6266 times)

So after my marathon I thnk i will give it the 90 days. Why not, will break the bordom of my usuall gym routine. I can always just add additional meals if I start to lose to much weight.

One question, is the program compatible with running at all? I would like to maintain at least 35 MPW during the 90 days, so that I can go into another marathon plan in the future. After the marathon I am training for, I actually want a break from stress. Is P90X couped with 35 MPW going to be overkill?

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
    Tim26pt2

There are two workouts within P90X that really kill the legs - Legs & Back and Kenpo X.  I've found that as long as I am not doing those on high mileage days it is not a problem.
        I ran during P90X but not to the tune of 35 mpw.  Maybe about 12 mpw. I didn't feel kenpo was so bad but I wouldn't run on legs and back day or plyometrics day. I think it will depend on you and you endurance. Just play with it and see how you feel. You might be able to do 35 mpw with no problem.  If you are following the nutrition plan your carbs will be really low for the first month so if you are running you might have to tweak that a little bit.
        SuJo

I've did the workout P90X for 14 weeks (took week 6 off completely)  from mid September to December - it was awesome and prepared me for a winter of skiing and snowboarding. I had been gradually getting more & more out of shape - tough to say which part of me would injure first. I used the P90X to benchmark into snowboarding/ XC skiing & down hill skiing, which lead into biking and then swimming in year 2, now I'm just getting up to 10km or running -- without injury; biking 30km and swimming 2km each twice a week. I don't think I could have done it without the overall baseline improvement given by P90X. And I never really got tired of Tony!
            I broke down and got the program. I've been wanting to work on other areas so I'll see how it goes. I still hope to stay in the 30-40 mpw range at least. If anyone is curious I'll let you know how it goes. Day 1 starts tomorrow @ 4:30am.
              I broke down and got the program. I've been wanting to work on other areas so I'll see how it goes. I still hope to stay in the 30-40 mpw range at least. If anyone is curious I'll let you know how it goes. Day 1 starts tomorrow @ 4:30am.

yes, very interested in how this works with your running.

Please keep us updated.

I've been looking up a decent amount on mixing P90x with marathon training and I'm afraid to start now that I'm edging towards the peak of the mileage buildup, but I'm totally giving it a shot after the marathon since winter will be coming fast after it.
                  Wow the first day chest, back and abs tore me up. It got to where I was struggling to do pushups from the knees. Upper body is extremely sore this morning. Did pylomretrics this morning and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. All this running must helpSmile. Last night was off night for running and tonight would bey tempo run. I feel good in the legs right now so will decide this evening whether to do tempo or just go easy. One thing I learned yesterday is how much the other parts of my body do need this.
                    Hey let me know how it goes. After I run my fall marathon I will have exactly 3 months to kill prior to starting my spring buildup. I to plan to maintain the 35-40 MPW range.
                    PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
                      Well I'm alive still so far... I pushed Monday way to hard on chest and back and dons set in big time on wednesday. During the yoga I was suppose to do yesterday I had to stop since I couldn't support myself with my arms yet. Legs are a bit sore but not to bad. Have ran 15 miles this week so far but have to do a slower pace due to heart rate and overall body weakness/soreness. I am feeling way better today. I guess my body is relearning what I expect of it and hopefully will be more adjusted fory sept 10k and oct half. Even with the soreness and all I'm liking it so far.
                        Never fear it the soreness will go away.  I don't want to say it gets easier because when it does then the exercises change.  I pushed myself so hard on day 1 that I tossed my cookies. I was pretty sore also and I was lifting prior to starting P90X. I might start round 2 in mid September. I lost some weight during my first round and I want to gain it back before I start my second round.
                          Soreness is mostly gone after my first full week. I also managed to run 39 miles. Pace suffered early in the week but got better towards the weekend. Oncey body gets over the shock of the first week of workouts I think the running will fall back into place.
                            That's awesome that you managed to get 39 miles of running in with the first week of P90X.  Keep "Bringing It".
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

Marktman, how's the program working for you now?

Roads were made for journeys...

It's going quite well. I notice it most in my core. Runs suffered first week or 2 but I have gotten faster past couple of weeks. Have lost a few pounds fat and gained some muscle. I am on the recovery week now which is a good thing since my 10 k is Saturday.