Grand Rapids Half Marathon...#2 and maybe my last... (Read 2866 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...'cause next year I really want to try for the full! Smile I didn't PR this AM, but I kind of went into this race with my expectations low. My last 5 weeks of training since my PR HM have been pretty crummy...minor injury issues, allergies/sinus hell, rescued kitty making sleep difficult (he now goes in the basement at night so that we and our older cats can all be properly diurnal). I still finished over 6 minutes (official times not yet posted) under my previous HM in this course a year ago (that was my first), so it's all good. The 2007 GR HM could be known as "the race that almost didn't happen," at least for me. I woke this AM and looked at the clock and nearly lost it as I realized that my alarm had not gone off! I set my PDA for a 4:30 wake and apparently my PDA "fell back" this AM, as prior to this year this weekend was the weekend for the Fall time change. So my alarm actually went off at 5:30. Luckily it was only 20 minutes after my set alarm that I looked at the clock...PHEW! I showered (I know, kind of a lost cause before a race, but it wakes me up), had my breakfast, coffee, the guys were ready, and we got out the door. We made the hour drive to GR and arrived at 7am, just as the "velocity challenged" folks got their start. Already the lots nearest the race start/finish were full...last year there was lots of space an hour prior to the race. Apparently the # of registered races had doubled since last year. Much of this was due to the Chicago race disaster--lots of Midwest runners wanted to find another race to run to take advantage of their hard training...they could not have found a better substitute than GR. It was a chilly, but windless start. The sun came above the horizon just minutes into the race and it made for an amazingly beautiful run. I made the mistake of putting my sunglasses on my head and they got so covered in condensation that I was never able to get them cleaned well enough to actually wear them, but it wasn't so bad. For the first hour or so of the race we got to enjoy the view of the fall terrain covered in colorful leaves and heavy frost...while a heavy fog (and all of our heavy breathing) hung in the air until the sun burned it off. It was really pretty. I lost my friend at the first aid station at 1.5 miles. We were in a tight pack of runners from 1-1.5 miles on a section of narrow path that was SLOW. I was a bit irritated by this, since I wanted to go faster, but there wasn't anything I could do. So pretty early on it became evident that a PR was not in the cards...so I settled in to just have an enjoyable race and to beat last year's PR on the course. The mob finally broke at that first aid station and my friend disappeared behind me. At the start we were chatting with a gal (Katie) who was running her first half. I stuck with her for about the first 3 miles, then she lost me on a hill. For the rest of the race I really didn't have anyone to talk to until Batman and Robin at about mile 7 or 8. Turns out they live not too far from me. They have both run a few marathons, but were just casually doing the half in costume. I told them that I was planning to do the marathon next year and they told me that the one downside of the marathon is that it will ruin me for all other races...I already understand this a bit, as 5ks and even 10ks really hold little appeal for me now. I like the challenge of a long race. The next few miles were pretty uneventful. At 8.5 the marathoners break-off for the remainder of their race and the ranks thin quite a bit. I belive there are about 2x as many marathoners as us halfers. I was really wishing I had worn my iPod, as so many did...but it's a USATF sanctioned race and I didn't want to risk being disqualified, even though I doubt it would happen. I may just go ahead and be a rule breaker next year, though. I spent several miles all by myself on the path and about crazy listening to my own breath and plodding of my feet (which, BTW, were very happy in my lightweight 902s...I'm starting to think that by Spring I may end up in a neutral cushioning shoe at the rate I'm going). Maybe a quarter mile from the finish I discovered Katie (the girl we met at the start) just ahead of me, so I caught up to her and we busted butt to the finish line. I think she was a little startled at the sprinter inside the plodder (even though I always feel ready to barf when I burn the rest of the gas in my tank for that last few hundred yards). Wink Another neat thing is that I heard the name of a girl who ran my last HM with me just ahead of me...I couldn't find her at the finish, unfortunately. But I'm pretty happy for her. She was behind me at the last race by about 6 minutes, so she PRd this race. did, the didlet, Eryn/backroadrunner and a beer were waiting for me at the finish. Next year Eryn WILL be healed-up and ready to run the marathon with me. My running friend was less than 15 minutes behind me, which I think is great for a gal who had a really rough recent couple of months of training and had never run much further than 10 miles before. She also drove herself to and from this race, even though she was feeling pretty rough at the finish. Ahhh...now no more races until New Year's day, at the earliest. I'm really relieved. Feelin' pretty burned-out going into this race and really looking forward to a few months of running, rather than "training." Smile Edited to add stats (I am SO average Wink): Chip time: 2:07:49 Pace: 9:46 / mile Field Placement: 542 / 892 (60.8%) Group Placement: 49 / 90 (54.4%) Gender Placement: 273 / 544 (50.2%) k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Nice race, Zoomy, in spite of all the issues you've had since your last race! Time to rest up a bit - then think about what sort of training plan you want to do for your marathon! Woohoo!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

madness baby

did, the didlet, Eryn/backroadrunner and a beer were waiting for me at the finish.
        This makes me so happy Big grin Congrats on a great race, and I'm so glad you can rest up for a while and take your time thinking about your first full!
        deb
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...and take your time thinking about your first full!
          I think I need to get my hands on lot of drugs between now and then. Wink There were a couple of moments when I thought to myself "how in the hell do I think I can run TWICE this distance?!" Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

If you are still up for a beer at the finish then you definitely have a bit more there. I know you can get the mileage up for the full next year! ANd still feel like a beer at the finish Good job Z.Z.
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks...I'm always up for a beer...it's in my Wisconsin blood! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Ya know SOMEHOW I just knew you we're going to have a beer waiting for you at the end!! WTG on a great race hun!! I have no doubt you will do AWESOME next year in your first Full Mary!! Very cool that you and Eryn will be running it together!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Yikes re: the alarm!!!!! Congrats, K - sounds like you enjoyed yourself too Smile the scenery sounds just gorgeous WTG!!!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

A great showing Kirsten, and a wonderful report. I know well the difference between "training" and "running". I call it shifting into maintenance mode. You've overcame numerous obstacles yet rose to the occasion. Enjoy your break. Smile

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

I've been thinking about you today, Zoomie! Great race Smile
                      2009: BQ?
                      corland

Very well done Kristen!! Happy to hear about your successfull run and your new lifestyle (Congrats on the weight loss!!) You'll knock out the marathon without batting an eye. You've taken the smart approach and ran lots of medium-long distances this year. I see you ran a 25k this year, I'm assuming it was the 5th 3rd. It was kind of neat running the hilly part backward. I think I like going the direction we went today. The scenery was awesome. The fog, lakes, river, bridge, and the Grand Rapids skyline (all 3 or 4 buildingsSmile was nice. My full went well. I was shooting for 3:45. I made 3:48. My calves cramped pretty bad miles 23-the end. Its an excuse. The bottom line is that I ran about as good as I could. I needed a few more miles during training. Very happy with my time, the race, and the day overall. See you at next years full!!
                          GREAT JOB!!!!! Glad it went so well; sounds like it was really enjoyable! Gotta love the Batman and Robin runners. Today was soooo gorgeous for a race, nuttin' like yesterday huh?! So happy for you!! Smile
                          bas

Congrats on a great race! And the scenery 'sounds' beautiful. Any pictures? (And not cold at all, was it?) bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Congrats on a great race! And the scenery 'sounds' beautiful. Any pictures? (And not cold at all, was it?) bas
                              Not too cold, especially after the first half mile. Minimal winds REALLY helped! Here is my favorite photo: Here are a few more... Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My full went well. I was shooting for 3:45. I made 3:48. My calves cramped pretty bad miles 23-the end. Its an excuse. The bottom line is that I ran about as good as I could. I needed a few more miles during training. Very happy with my time, the race, and the day overall. See you at next years full!!
                                Cory, given that you had cramping issues I think you did VERY well...just think how you would have rocked those last 3 miles without any pain! Next year you have a great PR to blow! Smile I'll have an Oberon in your honor. Big grin Oh, and about the 25k, it was Fifth-Third (another beautiful GR race). I really can't wait to run that, again. That will be my second-longest race in '08 if all goes as planned. I took it pretty easy this year, but next year I really want to get well under 2:30 for that race. k

~ Sarah Kay