GPS/Pace solution on the super cheap? (Read 950 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

A friend needs (would like) a GPS/Pace solution on the super-cheap.  I've been telling him about naturally monitoring his pace through breathing and telephone-pole pacing with a sports watch.  He's using the mapping features on the site post and pre run to get mileage.

However, he would also likes my GPS watch and was wondering what might be out there to provide similar functionality.  He doesn't have an app-capable smart-phone.

I'm also asking this question because there is a kid in the neighborhood who is all excited about running and would be really jazzed about a GPS solution, but her mom is on a restricted budget.

Pedometer - might also be an option.

Any idea of what might be out there?

Minimal functionality:

1) show the distance covered on the run while in progress  

2) show current pace (avg for last lap or mile)

Doesn't really need to hook up to a computer for DLing to RA, though of course that would be nice.

Suggestions?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xhristopher

If they have an iPod try Nike plus.
      xor

You could probably find a garmin 205 or very very old school 201 on ebay for "cheap".  But "cheap" is relative when one is on a restricted budget.  For something like that, you are really into trying to get someone's old unit they don't want (which is perhaps why it is on ebay).

or going without.

Just because something is cool doesn't mean it is important, obviously.  This just might be one of those things to do without.

BTW, a pedometer is probably a no-go because of how they work.  They aren't good with the running motion.  And even if they were, they are just going to do distance, not pace.  And if the point is "I want to know distance", good ol gmap-pedometer (the site) is still fine.

npaden

What is super cheap?

I picked up a Pyle GPS HRM watch on onesaleaday.com a month or so ago for $75.  It takes a bit longer than I would like to get the satellites fixed (at least a minute, sometimes longer), and doesn't do well with overhead obstacles (trees, buildings, etc.), but if you were willing to wait a bit before you got going and had open sky to run in it does okay.  The heart rate monitor function works pretty well.  Exports to a GPX track that you can upload to just about anything.

I've seen them since on Amazon and a few other places in the $120 range.

I found it on Amazon for $125 - http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sports-PSWGP405BK-Transmission-Navigation-Distance/dp/B005E8MVXC

That comes with the chest strap and everything else you need.

Don't take this as a glowing review of it, I'm just using it as a backup right now for rainy days and things like that since it is waterproof and my iPhone is not.  My iPhone GPS is for sure more accurate and gets a signal way quicker.

It would be ideal if you had a routine where you could turn it on and walk/warmup for several minutes before starting your run while the GPS signal was locking in.  Elevation is very unreliable until it gets 9 or 10 satellites located and sometimes that takes several minutes for sure.  It seems to do a little better if you run in the same general area each day though.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

mikeymike

Ask some real life flesh and blood runners (not the imaginary ones on the internet) if they have an old GPS they wouldn't mind getting rid of.  I have a 205 that I never use.  I'd give it away to someone if they asked but all of the people I run with are over the whole GPS thing.  I'm probably not willing to go through the trouble of packaging it up and mailing it to a total stranger, though.  That sounds like work.

Runners run

There are couple new watches out there in the $99 dollar range.  The Timex Marathon is one.  Less functionality than some of the older garmins mentioned by others, but it will have newer GPS chip and sync quickly.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Hobby Jogger Especial!

You can get a Soleus GPS 1.0 at Running Warehouse for $90 (if you use the 10% off code Runblog10)

If you go to DCRainmaker.com, he has great reviews on GPS units.

Slo

Ask some real life flesh and blood runners (not the imaginary ones on the internet) if they have an old GPS they wouldn't mind getting rid of.  I have a 205 that I never use.  I'd give it away to someone if they asked but all of the people I run with are over the whole GPS thing.  I'm probably not willing to go through the trouble of packaging it up and mailing it to a total stranger, though.  That sounds like work.

+1 Except the sounds like work part...I'd just rather give it to someone in person.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

+1 Except the sounds like work part...I'd just rather give it to someone in person.

Live in Virginia?

Slo

Sorry...Iowa

xor

That's the thing... if we're talking about "hey, can someone give  me an old GPS", cool.

If we're talking about someone's mom being on a restricted budget, without really knowing what that means, if we're offering up $90-$100 solutions, I dunno... if there's that much discretionary income that could be spent on running, I'd make sure the kid is running in good shoes and not Wal Mart specials.  (ok, barefoot running aside)

GPS totally falls in the "cool but really really not critical" part of running. There are alternatives.  Makes sure the critical stuff is covered.

Agree with the other poster who said Timex Marathon. It's sub $100 and will deliver accurate distance and fairly accurate pace readings. Won't connect to a computer though. But it will auto-lap and give out readings for mile splits.

Running my way to being a little less fat.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

That's the thing... if we're talking about "hey, can someone give  me an old GPS", cool.

If we're talking about someone's mom being on a restricted budget, without really knowing what that means, if we're offering up $90-$100 solutions, I dunno... if there's that much discretionary income that could be spent on running, I'd make sure the kid is running in good shoes and not Wal Mart specials.  (ok, barefoot running aside)

GPS totally falls in the "cool but really really not critical" part of running. There are alternatives.  Makes sure the critical stuff is covered.

Unfortunately, $100 is well in excess of what I'm talking about.  Saving up for new running shoes before the old ones fail takes planning and a bit of penny pinching.  Occasionally, there is a small windfall that might be used for something not absolutely required, but which would further the enjoyment / excitement of the sport.  A GPS watch has been identified as a dream.

Basically, if I could find a $30 solution, that would be perfect.

Trying to think outside of the box, here.  10sec and 1/10 mile inaccuracy not a huge issue.

So far the only feasible idea sounds like find someone willing to gift their old watch to a stranger.

I'm also trying to think beyond the couple of individuals I know personally who might be in this position: thinking of middle-school x-c kids on foodstamps during Christmas time.

Why is it sideways?

Man, I really admire the idea of giving kids things that they can't buy themselves, and maybe I am an old fogey. Obviously I don't know the situation like you do.

But I sorta think that Garmins are for middle-aged folks who are in the "tinker with stuff" stage of life. When I had one, it made me feel like the run was work: I had to charge a contraption, wait for the contraption to pick up satellites, download it to the computer.

What do I know. Maybe these kids are really into analyzing data and wearing a big box on their wrists.

None of my high school runners have one, and they are wealthy enough to afford it. They prefer colorful bracelets. Hard enough to get them to buy a watch that works. When they get one, it's usually pink or bright yellow and doesn't really even show the time.

What Jeff said.  We bought our kid a watch so she can time her swims, it sits in a drawer or worn as a fashion accessory.