Anyone else see this article? (Read 1111 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, I'm too stupid to figure out how to make link.... Clowning around So, go to this website and read this article, have to know what those of you here think.....I know it'll be a little more work without link....promise you it'll be interesting. http://www.coreperformance.com/article.php?p=3&s=1&id=273

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Bull

The Greatest of All Time

I would like to see statistics that support his conclusions. I understand the theory and from a strict anatomical point, he's correct. But I don't know that having wider hips increases the rate of injury.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Ostrich runner

Women shouldn't run because otherwise they can't buy junk from your website, got it.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

While I think there is *some* truth to what he is saying, it's not that black & white and there are definitely exceptions. I would be interested to see a formal study done, though. I am definitely NOT built like a runner...I definitely have excessive boobage & booty and have a much stockier bone structure (aka short inseam, long torso, and cankles) compared to the first 10% of women to cross the finish line of any race...but I do have fairly narrow hips and have really not been prone to any serious injury issues. Some of that is due to careful training and careful shoe selection, but I'm sure that part of that is due to my relatively narrow hips compared to a lot of women of my height and weight. Knee issues ARE more prevalent in females because of hips that are generally wider and angle in more toward the knees.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

"Women with larger breasts and wider hips don't make good runners." (No comment) Big grin modal (who believes women should have some marbling) Wondering if there is a follow up article to this as to why most women should not swim.

Vim

C-R

I smell someone trying to sell something (cross training or equipment). Let me see if I can apply his logic elsewhere - all short people can't play basektball, if you weigh less than 300 lbs you can't play football (or sumo), human arms are not designed to throw overhand so baseball is right out, and on and on. Also you can't run to be fit you're fit so you can run. There are too many examples of success stories right here on this site to refute that crap. What a bunch of flaming, high intensity methane filled excrement. Ok off my soap box. I'm just hating the player. Too many naysayers out there convincing others what can't be done instead of helping other figure out how high they can achieve. What a wanker Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

modal (who believes women should have some marbling)
                  Marbling--ha! I have to remember that one...I'm not chubby, I'm marbled--like a good steak! Evil grin did's worried that as I train for my marathon that I'll lose "too much" weight (I could lose 20#s and still be within the healthy range for my height and build). I reminded him that I am currently running the most miles I ever have and am bigger now than I was a year ago by about 5#s (and it ain't muscle, unfortunately Black eye). Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

I wonder if this guy has ever seen "The Biggest Loser" - most especially this season where the overall winner was a woman. She started at close to 250 pounds and got herself down to about 130 and she BECAME a good runner. She struggled on that treadmill just like everyone else at the beginning but in the end, she was doing some intervals on there that I wouldnt even attempt (10-15 seconds at 14mph). Sorry, but I dont really recall the size of her boobs. But in that regard, I have a copy of a Triathlete magazine with a professional female triathlete on the cover and she was pretty well endowed.

Giants Fan

I knew this would stir up some good conversation on this website. I couldn't even believe this had been written in this decade!! I love the applied logic theory...cracked me up. Why does a woman have to look like a man to be successful? Glad my daughters won't see this....

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Scout7

He's taking elite female runners, and comparing them to the entire female running population, which is wrong. The same thing applies for male runners, too. Flawed logic.
                        JakeKnight

Bull
                          I'd dismantle the article line by line while cackling at its sheer, mind-boggling stupidity ... But RunnersBliss pretty much sums it up. How dumb. And yes, the product they're selling is in the last couple lines, as is the link to the asshat's for-profit non-running site. Unadulterated horseshit.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Scout7

Technically, the science is correct. HOWEVER.... His approach is completely stupid.

A Saucy Wench

OK, there are parts of the Q angle that are true. Its why women tend more to pronation (hence motion control shoes). It is true that women are more prone to knee injury because of their Q angle...usually a problem in sports where direction changes occur...like soccer or basketball. But women dont get a bigger Q angle by getting curvier. Getting fit before starting running changes the degree of force but doesnt change the angle. Your hip bones dont move when you gain weight. You just wrap nice layers of cushy marbelized padding around them. There was a bodybuilding mag awhile back that said nobody should start running until they are superfit. In this case they meant squat press their own body weight, etc. On the basis that no one would start lifting "immense amounts of weight" with "thousands of repetitions" Roll eyes So the real question is ....why do people love to hate running so much? MTA: and I have lost 55 lbs while running and while my hips may now be elite, my boobs remain abundant. (did I slip into the swamp?)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

C-R

I'd dismantle the article line by line while cackling at its sheer, mind-boggling stupidity ... But RunnersBliss pretty much sums it up. How dumb. And yes, the product they're selling is in the last couple lines, as is the link to the asshat's for-profit non-running site. Unadulterated horseshit.
                                Extra points for working in asshat. You got skills my man. Only thing missing from the article was increasd use of garlic to help reduce the Q factor.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/