Bueller? (Read 537 times)

Lazy idiot

I currently have an issue with tree roots slowing/blocking the drain line to my sewer system. This is causing some unfortunate backing up into my basement (I'm being polite here, enjoy it while you can!). We had a plumber out about three years ago to send a power snake through the line and cut the roots, but they have grown back as we knew they would. We're going to have someone come out today or tomorrow to redo the job. My question is this: For those that have been in this unfortunate circumstance, does anyone have any anecdotal evidence that root killing products (like RootX, etc.) work in keeping the drain pipe clear for longer? I don't want to pay for something that is ineffective. Thanks for your help.

Tick tock

C-R

I wouldn't buy the expensive stuff. Go to the local Co-op and get some copper sulfate. Lots cheaper and works as well if not better. Flush this and it should help. Don't be shy about the amount or you can do this multiple times. I had a older home (circa 1940s) and did this for some minor clogging (slow drain) every day one pyrex cup (2 cups) for about two weeks. Problem solved and after this I did this once per month for maintenance. Hope this helps and good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Lazy idiot

Thanks, Norm! I'll give it a shot.

Tick tock

Hey, nice marmot!

You can try the Copper Sulfate, but given what you described the roots backed up into your basement, it doesn't sound like these roots are creating a "minor" obstruction. I see what you're getting at. "Why bother to snake the drain over and over if the roots are just going to grow back? Can't I just kill them and be done with it?" Most of the time, however, anything less than tearing the trees out of your yard and tearing up the rest of your yard in order to pull out the root systems is not going to kill the root. Old trees in particular can have truly massive root networks that will be virtually unaffected by a few roots coming into contact with some chemicals in your drain. On the bright side, you did say that you went three years between the drain snaking and another backup. My dad's old house had the same problem with roots, except he needed to snake the drain once every six months to keep the poo out of his basement. If I were you, I'd rent a drain snake from a local tool rental company. Should be cheaper than the cost of a plumber. Drain snakes aren't tough to operate yourself, I'm sure there's how-to info available online. Sounds like, if you snake your drain once every 12-18 months, you'll probably be fine and poo-free. You could also talk with some of your neighbors. If others are having the same problem, you might be able to split the cost of the snake rental with them. At any rate, good luck.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

You'll ruin your knees!

...if you snake your drain once every 12-18 months, you'll probably be fine and poo-free.
            ...soooo many levels... 1) is "snaking your drain" something you actually would want to share with neighbors? 2) is staying poo-free for 12-18 months considered healthy? 3) dog dog dog 4) define "fine and poo-free"? 5) does "snaking your drain" have anything to do with "a little twang"? 6) I like turtles...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hey, nice marmot!

...soooo many levels... 1) is "snaking your drain" something you actually would want to share with neighbors? 2) is staying poo-free for 12-18 months considered healthy? 3) dog dog dog 4) define "fine and poo-free"? 5) does "snaking your drain" have anything to do with "a little twang"? 6) I like turtles...
              1) Good point. I suppose it would depend a lot on your community. I would not recommend trying this in Utah. 2) (From Wiki) FACT- Through the clever use of guided meditation combined with a diet high in cheese, Tibetian monks have been known to go over 24 months between poos. These same monks can live to be hundreds of years old. 3) rabbit rabbit rabbit 4) Does one clearly not directly imply the other? To be "poo-free" is to have a digestive system that truly wastes nothing. To be so efficient and environmentally friendly, how "fine" is that? Quite fine indeed! 5) It could, depends on the size of the drain. If you try to stick a little twang into a large drain, I suspect you'll end up disappointed. A large twang in a little drain will yield similar poor results. A twang:drain ratio close to one is desired for satisfactory results. 6) I think I've already stated my affinity for rabbits. Hope this helps.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens