Fatty liver (Read 1284 times)

MTA:  Basically what Ennay said on the Jelly side of things, she just posted as I was typing!  And did it better!

Agar can be used for gels, but it's carbohydrate based, and is indeed from algae.  It's used a lot as a vegetarian thickener and as an alternative to gelatin for jellies/jell-o and also for clarifying stuff, and I am sure in lots of foodstuffs in its own right.

Gelatin is from collagen and is protein-based (and animal derived from skins, bones etc) but again makes gel-like substances/jelly/jell-o.

In terms of gluten (which is a protein).  There isn't any in rice, even in "glutinous" rice (which gets its stickyness from the amylopectin component of starch).  Definitely no gelatin either.

No idea on the fatty liver side of things.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

WrigleyGirl, it sounds strange, I know. It may be an OCR error. I was too worried to care about the details Smile

Nobby415, indeed, the author does not say that long runs may damage liver, but I had problems with NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) and thought I should take care in advance. BTW, I have found a couple of links where long run is explicitly linked to liver damage:

http://www.arthurdevany.com/articles/20091028

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum11/HTML/009906.shtml

Gee, that DeVany guy is really not a fan of running, is he?  His one-sentence conclusions from the studies he cites are not, I suspect, what the researchers would conclude.  In some cases, they have little to do with what's in the abstract.

xor

agar is 'orrible.

Somebody will get that.

A Saucy Wench

hah! I hadnt noticed that Art DeVany was one of the articles.  Yeah, he hates distance running.  I'm pretty sure if you asked him if you would be better off running a marathon or smoking he would say it was safer to smoke crack.

MTA: but I am pretty sure DeVany is a fan of gelatin.  Bone broth is the missing healthfood in all our lives.  Cures all.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Am I doing this right?

agar is 'orrible.

Somebody will get that.

Love it!  Brings me back to the Sunday morning comics growing up.

No excuses....

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

agar is 'orrible.

Somebody will get that.

Love it! LOL!

So running is bad for the knees gets a break this week while running destroys organs?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Prince of Fatness

agar is 'orrible.

Somebody will get that.

Not at it at all. 

xor

Give me my octopi!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Love it! LOL!

So running is bad for the knees gets a break this week while running destroys organs?

Including the brain.

Fruchtenstein

Well, I'm not saying that these two links prove anything or that they are scientifically valid. It's just that I have seen more than one place where long distance running is linked with liver damage. As for real data, research, trustworthy sources, this is what I came here to ask for. And the lack of which reassures me Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One can post anything on the internet.  That you saw it does not mean it has any validity.

Except flying monkeys.  If it says things about flying monkeys on the internet, that's true.

Am I doing this right?

No excuses....

Believe

One can post anything on the internet.  That you saw it does not mean it has any validity.

Except flying monkeys.  If it says things about flying monkeys on the internet, that's true.

Yes, anything about flying monkeys is true. 

"run" "2" "eat"

i thought this was going to be a thread about strasburg pie.

so disappointed.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

i thought this was going to be a thread about strasburg pie.

so disappointed.

You may start one.  I think we had one on tur-duck-hens, which I realize are not the same thing.