Did racing flats improve your time? (Read 1333 times)

evtish

I'd like to hear about your experience using flats for racing and how much you improved your time. Also, any recommendations for particular brands/models of flats. Smile Thanks, Tom
      I train and race in flats. I really like the Adidas AdiZero line. The RC DC are a good shoe to start with, very durable and not that expensive at around $67.
        I really like my new adizero LT. Haven't raced in them yet, but they make me train faster.
          yes, flats improve my times enormously. in tempo runs i've guessed flats give me 10-15 sec per mile or so over my trainers... but my trainers are on the heavy side. i train in asics 2110 and for flats i have found the ascis ds racer 7s fit my feet best. (boy, are they ugly). i run tempo, intervals and races in my flats. if you haven't worn flats, you will need some time to get used to them... take it slowly, they may change your stride somewhat, so don't get injured. also shop around. get the flats that fit your feet best.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

10-15sec per mile -- that's like a 4-6min gain in the marathon, right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I wore flats one time back in the 80s. They had no impact on my time, but they made me look like I thought I was faster than everyone else. And that, after all, is really the most important facet of flats.

JakeKnight

I wore flats one time back in the 80s. They had no impact on my time, but they made me look like I thought I was faster than everyone else. And that, after all, is really the most important facet of flats.
                Cool They make you look fast? I gotta get me some.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

errr, if i take 180 strides per minute, and my racers weigh 4 oz less than my trainers, then during a marathon i lift 8,100 lbs less weight with my feet. sorry to hear you didn't run faster. it took me a while to get used to the different footstrike when using flats, and that's why i train with them regularly. if i did a one time test, i'd probably run slower with flats. but for visual effect maybe try some cool looking shades? Cool
                  Scout7

I think it was the running more that made me fast.
                    Scout7

errr, if i take 180 strides per minute, and my racers weigh 4 oz less than my trainers, then during a marathon i lift 8,100 lbs less weight with my feet.
                      See, you could solve that by taking fewer strides.
                        See, you could solve that by taking fewer strides.
                        wait.... or running barefoot! ingenious! i'm ditching my shoes for sunday's race! what an epiphany! actually, the whole weight issue could be summed up in this question: have you ever been beaten by a barefoot runner? Roll eyes
                        Scout7

wait.... or running barefoot! ingenious! i'm ditching my shoes for sunday's race! what an epiphany! actually, the whole weight issue could be summed up in this question: have you ever been beaten by a barefoot runner?
                          No.
                            No.
                            sadly, i must answer yes. the winner of the tucson marathon one year ran a 2:19 barefoot. i was out on a training run and ran a 3:03... but even if i was racing he would have easily beaten me.
                            Scout7

I think the main reason is that I've never seen anyone racing barefoot around here. The streets in Philly are not conducive to such things. Nor are many of the trails, really.
                                I think the main reason is that I've never seen anyone racing barefoot around here. The streets in Philly are not conducive to such things. Nor are many of the trails, really.
                                nah, it's probably that they are tough enough. just that they want to train harder by running with shoes on. eta: we've all seen rocky, so we know how tough runners in philly are... they can handle it, adrian! eta2: didn't he wear ankle weights in that famous scene running up those stairs??? Roll eyes