looking for some advice (Read 671 times)

rhetorician

Hi all - another former CR runner. I wonder if you folks would take a look at my log and see what you think I can do to improve my speeds (42 yo female, running consistently for 18 months, sporadically for about 5 years, about 5'3" and 135lbs, but stocky muscular in build). I'm putting in decent distance, but struggle to reach any kind of sustained speed (my last 10k race was hot and lacking in water stations, but I didn't really breathe hard at any point). I'm not sure whether this is because I'm training poorly or because I just don't like feeling uncomfortable...I can run happily about about 5:40/km for miles and miles. I've only just started adding in some very basic speedwork, but really feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Currently training for a HM on July 5 and would like to make it in just under 2 hours. Feeling a bit frustrated and disappointed and that I'm not getting much of a return for all the effort I put in. Sad Or maybe I just one of life's snails?

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

Just looking at your log, if you can do 6.5km at 4:37/km in a tempo workout, then you should be around 45 min racing 10K. If not faster. Whether you had a bad day on your last race or not, you are faster than that. Try running a 5K and going out at 4:15/km for the first K and trying to hold on, or race a mile race, but you are definitely faster than your last two races.

Giant Flaming Dork

You are definitely faster - just based on the "canal run" alone! You can do it! You just have to get comfortable with the higher effort levels. I struggle with it, too (if that makes you feel any better)

http://xkcd.com/621/

rhetorician

thanks for the replies so far! I do feel encouraged and instinctively I feel that I am faster than my poxy race times (that thing about running faster in races hasn't worked for me so far). In the end it doesn't matter hugely, as I run because I like it, but it's a bit dispiriting. I guess I need to focus more on the race itself...

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

Queen of 3rd Place

You and I are about the same age, do about the same weekly mileage, and I only *wish* I was as fast as you! I think you rock! Just my lousy 2 cents. Arla

Ex runner

rhetorician

thanks arla - since I posted that whinge I've realised that things aren't THAT bad...I'm healthy, I'm not injured and I love my running. Think I was just a bit knocked back by the fact that the last 10k I did, the top two finishers (it was a women only event) did sub-35 10k - one of them a 40 yo mother of 4, the other a 39 yo!! But yay for them.

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half