Question (Read 752 times)

So DW and I decided that starting Monday we are no longer going to be eating any red meat. Something that we have been talking about for a while and finally decided now was the time. Here is the question that we have been pondering today...... Is alligator considered red meat? Thanks Jeremy
    2009 Goals...:
    -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
    JakeKnight

Is alligator considered red meat? Thanks Jeremy
      Oh. This is gonna be awesome.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Is there some problem with people eating alligator....If so then there should be a problem with people eating fish, chicken, turkey...you get the point
        2009 Goals...:

JakeKnight

Is there some problem with people eating alligator....
          Sorry, Jeremy. My (arguably strange) sense of humor doesn't always translate well, especially on the main board. No - I don't personally have any problem with munching on gators. Although I can't say I've had the pleasure. I just had a chuckle at your question because people have been getting a bit testy in the meat and veggie discussions in other threads, and I suspect your question might draw some interesting comments. Of course, now I've probably ruined it. I amuse easily. Forgive me. Carry on. Don't mind me. I just can't wait to find out the answer, since I have absolutely no idea. I'm guessing gator falls in with delicacies like rattlesnake ... but who knows how that's categorized?

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, I'm with Jake, in the cheap seats, watching the action...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Yeah, and now before I sit back and watch I have to ask the obvious question: do you actually eat alligator? More to the point - where do you get it? Do you hunt it? Do they sell it somewhere? Most of all, is it any good?

As I sit here, watching UFC 81, and think about my original question why the hell do I care if it is considered red meat or not? If I, the tax paying American, feel like eating gator then by God I am going to eat some gator. Thanks Jake for you insight Jeremy
                2009 Goals...:

Sometimes we find it in Wal-Mart, we were in a fish market today and they were selling it, but mainly here in the south the restaurants serve it as an appetizer. As to how it tastes....if you have ever enjoyed frog legs the it is similar just a little more gamey.
                  2009 Goals...:

Imminent Catastrophe

Well I have had gator, down in Nawlins, but it was breaded and deep-fried, so it tasted pretty much like anything else breaded and deep-fried--alligator, chicken, conch, rattlesnake, leather. Whatever, if it's breaded and deep-fried, people will eat it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

They seriously sell it at Wal-Mart? I live in Tennessee and I've never seen it on a menu. I must be going to the wrong places. I'm looking around next time I go to the grocery store. Okay, since I'm a complete dork, I just looked around a bit. Here you go: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/84848/eating_alligators_a_healthy_meat_alternative.html Modified to add: after reading the whole article, I still can't tell if its technically red or white. They call it an "alternative" to red meat than call it "the other white meat" (which is going to make the pork industry angry!). It does sound yummy. And healthy. And wonderfully weird.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Alligator is red meat. Cayman is white meat. Crocodile is kinda gray.
                          Jake thanks for that info it definitely assisted in making up my mind. I will look and try to the the Gumbo the DW makes it in.
                          2009 Goals...:

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Alligator is red meat. Cayman is white meat. Crocodile is kinda gray.
                            BTW, I was just kidding. Big grin The fundamental question is NOT whether it is red meat or white meat or a fancy crazed carrot with scales, but why you want to give up red meat and whether alligator falls inside or outside that reason.
                              I think the fundamental question is whether NavyJeremy catches the alligator himself. Wink

Amy

why you want to give up red meat and whether alligator falls inside or outside that reason.
                                As it is we only eat red meat maybe 1-2 times a month so we figured the fish and poultry is better for us. Dragon if I did catch the gator you would hear the clang clang every time that I took a step and I live in Georgia Big grin
                                2009 Goals...: