Help me decide on fitting a race into my training schedule (Read 59 times)

npaden

It has been way too long since we have had a poll up so I thought I would throw this out there.

I have a trail race that I have run before that is a really enjoyable course and is a fun time.  Last year I ran the marathon distance as a supported long run when I was training for my 50 miler.  I just ran an easy pace and had a good time.

This year I'm training for a mid April marathon and this race doesn't really fit in the schedule, but I'm still thinking about doing it anyway.

It is 5 weeks out from my goal marathon.  There is a 50K, marathon, half marathon and 10K distance option.  My training schedule has an 18 mile long run scheduled for that day.  My training schedule also has a 12 mile MP Tempo run in the middle of the week.

So my choices are mentioned above in the poll.

I could run an easy paced marathon like I did last year training for my 50 miler.  I was able to dial the competitive juices back last year and think I could do it again.  I might even start out doing some type of run/walk for the first 6 miles or something and then do some type of a fast finish at the end this year or something.

I could kill the MP Tempo run that I have scheduled that week and probably get an 18 mile long run in mid week, but it would be really tight with my work schedule.  More than likely I would need to split it up and do a double that day to get in 18 miles during the week.  Then I would run the half marathon that weekend as my MP Tempo run.  The biggest drawback to this option is that I can see myself skipping out on one of those workouts and not getting in an 18 mile long run in the middle of the week.  The other drawback is that I'm clumsy and running fast on a trail race for the half marathon might result in me falling and hurting myself.

Last option would be to just skip the fun enjoyable race and do a boring long run by myself instead.

Just typing this out I think I am leaning toward doing the trail marathon again.  It's 5 weeks before my goal marathon and last year I was able to do a 14 mile long run the next day after the marathon so I don't think I am going to blow up my training plan or anything.

Oh well, I'll still leave the poll up even though I've about made up my mind to run an easy marathon instead of the 18 mile long run that is on my training plan.

Thanks, Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

HermosaBoy

Option d?

Run a faster half marathon with extended warm-up/cool-down to get in 18...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Julia1971

I voted fast half marathon mostly because you might not want to wonder if it was a mistake.  I did something similar this past fall training for CIM.  I ran the New York City Marathon (race report) as a long run.  It took a lot out of me.  (For me, it ended up being my longest run by time ever, but that wouldn't be the case for you).  And while I don't think it was the deciding factor for why I had a disappointing performance at CIM (race report), I'll never know.  So, I would opt for the HM if it's truly a goal race.

rmcj001

Think you're worrying too much about details. I was loosely following the Hanson plan for CIM in 2014.  6 weeks out developed a problem with piriformis or high hamstring, so only ran 20 miles that week (took 3 days off).  5 weeks out did long run of 18.5 with weekly mileage of 51.  4 weeks out another 18.5 mile long run on peak mileage of 70. Ran 5k race day before CIM in 21:30 (PR at the time).  Ran CIM the next day in 3:34:13 - lowering my PR by over 19 minutes. So, I would do the 1/2 marathon fast and swap the long run the week before or after.  Of, course, assuming you are consistent in your training - whatever you decide will make little difference.  1 session will not make or break your training - it is the cumulative effect...

Ray

npaden

Thanks for the input.

Last year when I was training for the 50 miler I really needed the back to back long runs and this fit my training plan almost perfectly.

I ran it and really had a good time.  It was a great race and a lot of fun.

I guess doing the half marathon and adding a long warmup and cool down would be a good alternative.

I might skip that weeks MP Tempo run (or rather convert it to an easy run of the same distance) and just call it good.

Really glad I posted this now.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xhristopher

Option d?

Run a faster half marathon with extended warm-up/cool-down to get in 18...

+1

At least 2 miles easy warmup and if you don't get 18 with cool down don't sweat it.