How do you clean your shoes? (Read 1572 times)

Am I doing this right?

I put them on the window sill, so they get direct sun light. 

But, how do you get poison ivy off your shoes?   I've just been washing my hands real good after lacing up.  

If I remember right it's a tomato juice bath...right?  You might get an urge for salsa on your next run though.  Depends how funky they were before the bath.

No excuses....

I put my trail shoes in the washing machine with soap and a little bleach.  Took out the inserts and washed them as well.  Washed on hot and then let them air dry.  They smelled almost like new.  I don't see a problem washing them since they get wet anyway.  There were a little tight to get back on since the shoe strings shrunk a little, but once I got them on, they were fine.

Andy

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Clean?? I can't wait to take clean shoes and get them dirty.

keeponrunning

For outside dirt, I am with ladnierd!!!!  Smile  

For stench, I put baking soda in them.  Cheap and effective I find.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If I remember right it's a tomato juice bath...right?  You might get an urge for salsa on your next run though.  Depends how funky they were before the bath.

I think that's for skunk, not poison ivy.

Am I doing this right?

I think that's for skunk, not poison ivy.

LOL...yep, you're right.

A really big jug of calamine lotion for poison ivy.  That sounds messy.

No excuses....

xor

Also, not that anyone cares, but the whole "tomato juice gets rid of skunk odor" thing is a myth perpetuated by tv.  Kinda like how tv taught us that sharks and dolphins are mortal enemies.  Flipper really did us a disservice there.  Guess who is usually prowling around somewhat near the "cute" dolphins?  That's right.

No Talent Drips

For stench, I put baking soda in them.  Cheap and effective I find.

This, except menthol goldbond.  Also good for "down there"...for dryness/anti-chaffe--but probably helps with stink too...

Dei Gratia

xor

Undecided

Slice

For stench I spray odor eaters spray after each run and I rotate my shoes. I look at the dirt like a badge of honor but once when my shoes were orange from Gatorade I sprayed them with stain remover and ran in the rain. Helped a teeny bit. The only thing I found that really, really helps is to embrace the stench as a sign of a job well done. You know, I kind of missed it over the winter. (not really, but I tell myself this)

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

A.Blinkin

I've never had a problem with the stench, but when mine get caked in mud I just brush the worst of it off and throw them in the washing machine. I also have a shoe dryer I got a farm and fleet for around $20. You just stick the ends of the pipes in the insides of the shoes and leave them there overnight. Has always worked just fine for me.
                        xor

A.Blinkin - nice name!

Chris Melvin

I think your feet smell wonderful Honey Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh, another thing that can help: try not to put your sock back on during a run after you use it when nature calls.

mikeymike

That's why it's called "dropping a sock."  You're supposed to leave it.

Runners run