How do you clean your shoes? (Read 1572 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

#artbydmcbride

That's why it's called "dropping a sock."  You're supposed to leave it.

..and let your heel tabs get bloody

Runners run

How do you clean your shoes? you dont

Goals For 2011:

sub 2:30 800m

Sub 6:00 Mile (PR 5:34)

Sub 20:00 5k

250 Mile Club

lostinacrowd

How do you clean your shoes? you dont

Exactly...

drrbradford

I run sockless and live in a wet city. Every few hundred miles I wash my trainers in the washing machine with plenty of other stinky running gear so as to make sure they don't get bashed about too much (this is because I only wear flimsy racing flats and the uppers aren't particularly robustly attached to the sole). The magic ingredient in the wash, though, is nappy sanitiser. It's helped me get rid of the permafunk that you get when you leave a pair of wet cross country spikes in a plastic bag for a month. A tub the size of the one in that link above has lasted me about a year.

If you're funny about putting trainers in the washer then you can still soak them in a bucket of solution of sanitiser made with hot water to do the job almost as well.

I dry them by putting them on fast spin then onto the radiators for an hour or two.

xor

why run sockless?

dennrunner

why run sockless?

Why not? It was common back in the old days. You know, before technical socks. ...Oh.. Joking.

xor

Why not? It was common back in the old days. You know, before technical socks. ...Oh.. Joking.

Hey, I'm one of the lucky ones who never had much trouble with cotton socks.  Woohoo!  I'd rather do that than sockless.

drrbradford

why run sockless?

Multiple reasons:

1) I like to.

2) Socks can hold a lot of water which is just dead weight. Not so much of an issue when it's a nice dry, sunny day but during a 7M cross country in January it can be kind of a downer. I also like to feel the mud between my toes.

3) Sometimes I wear FiveFingers and I'm generally down with the minimalist bandwagon. Although, I am cool and was on it before it got famous: I haven't worn underwear since 2005 (except when really cold).

4) It makes me look more sleek.

Bit of an overshare nestled in there.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Cool as a Cucumber

Bit of an overshare nestled in there.

But it's quality. Besides, underwear was invented by The Man to hold you back.

The pavement fears me.

xor

Not wearing socks doesn't really make you look 'more sleek'.  Nah.  As for water weight, I guess my socks don't hold much.

As for the other, my boys need a home.

#artbydmcbride

But it's quality. Besides, underwear was invented by The Man to hold you back.

You and R2E need to meet....Big grin

Runners run

Hoodoo Guru

Runner's World or Running Times had an article a year or more ago about the main shoe designer or manufacturer for one of the big shoe companies.  He suggested the best way to clean shoes was in the washing machine.  Which is exactly what I do a couple of times a year when they get really bad.

The tangents are moot.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I heard Running World will be coming out in an upcoming edition with an article on racing your first 5K without underwear or socks.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.