Endurance decrease when change environment (Read 666 times)

Fazed

Hi guys, Would like to seek the advice of the experience runners here. I used to clock an average of ~5km when i was in singapore. Temperature there was abt 86'F. timing was abt 25min.. But ever since i relocated to Utah, i only manage to clock an average of ~2.6km, with a terrible timing of~14min.. Started getting breathless and muscles aching.. Is this normal? Any advice what i can do to improve my timing and endurance.. Moral getting lower No
    Scout7

Could be elevation related. Best bet is to stick with things, and try running easier.
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Utah has some mountainous regions. If you're at a higher altitude, that might be the cause. Also, looks like you've taken some time off. You may have lost a bit of your edge - not to worry, should be easy to get back. Run easy, get back into the routine and you'll be right as rain in no time.

Think Whirled Peas

Wouldn't call myself experienced, but I'll give you advice anyway! Smile Run more. More frequently. It's all about putting in the miles...the plan is easy, the difficult part is the execution of it.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Fazed

Utah has some mountainous regions. If you're at a higher altitude, that might be the cause. Also, looks like you've taken some time off. You may have lost a bit of your edge - not to worry, should be easy to get back. Run easy, get back into the routine and you'll be right as rain in no time.
            currently most of the roads are covered with snow n ice. so i sticking to the threadmill.. Always hated running on threadmills... Almost feeling like a hamster on the running wheel.. haha.. THanks everyone for the advice.. Wink

Oh Mighty Wing

oh well that could do it! I hate the dreadmill! I never go as far as I want to and never in the time I want.

12 Squared

That happens to me as well. Sometimes for the positive, sometimes for the negative. My job takes me all over the world and I've had the good fortune to run in a lot of cool places. Going to a hotter, more humid environment will kill my performance, while, on the other hand, if I was to go to say... Germany where it is usually cooler than home, I tend to run better. I've never run in high altitudes, so I don't know what that would do, but I suspect it would slow me down too.
                If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra
                  currently most of the roads are covered with snow n ice. so i sticking to the threadmill.. Always hated running on threadmills... Almost feeling like a hamster on the running wheel.. haha.. THanks everyone for the advice.. Wink
                  I run much slower on the mill than I do outside --- hang in there, it's almost spring !
                  2009: BQ?
                    I had the exact same symptoms when I moved from Oklahoma (elev 700') to New Mexico (elev 5800'). It took a good six months to acclimatize. My advice: Drink lots of water, even when not running. Don't be afraid to cut back the miles and build back up. Eventually, you won't be able to tell you live at a higher altitude unless you travel to a lower one. Remember, even non-runners have trouble with the transition from low to high altitude.
                    Do bears bear? Do bees be?
                      Your body has to have ample time to calibrate to its new environment. As you increase elevation, your body will naturally increase the amount of red blood cells it will carry. it will also increase the O2 carrying capacity of these cells so that they can soak up as much O2 as possible and be able to deliver it all over your body. Your runs probably are suckier right now because you're just not getting the O2 your muscles need. Give it time, probably a few weeks or more, and you will start to see a difference gradually