I just don't feel healthy anymore (Read 1206 times)

finney

Resident pinniped

Disclaimer: This is going to be more of a vent/rant I have a feeling, so keep that in mind, however, if anyone has any advice I'd be more than happy to hear it because the cause of venting is usually frustration, so if someone can shed some light on a way out of this, that would be amazing. Ahem. Anyway. I run (obviously). I'm still pretty new because I got a non-running-related injury after just a few months of running regularly which put me out for some time. Also, trying to balance school, kids, and a marriage doesn't always leave as much time for running as I'd like. However, I was pretty happy with my progress all those things factored in. However, it's WHY I run that's kind of got me down. Don't get me wrong, I love running and working out in general. But, I do it to manage a back problem. My best guess, and my doctor's, is that my sacroilliac joint slips and pulls everything else out of alignment when it does. What this left me with was a case of piriformis syndrome and something else in my lower back (no one knows what) that was untreated for too long and has left scarring in the muscles, so they will never function the way they should/used to again. The advice I got during the 2 years of my life this disability ate up was "rest" and the only treatment I got was a medically sanctioned Vicoden addiction. I learned to manage it with exercise. Excercise strengthens the supporting muscles so the slippage in the SI joint happens less frequently and less severely, and it also keeps the surrounding muscles loose. It doesn't have to be running that I do, but I do need to stay moving or else it flares up again. When I work out regularly I'm 80-90% symptom free. When I don't, I'm a 15 on the 1-10 pain scale again. I'm not trying to be a whiner, really, I'm not. I know people live with FAR worse problems, I've found a way to manage mine that is natural and pretty effective, and I should be exercising to stay healthy anyway. The problem is when I do take some time off for whatever reason. I am then very rapidly reminded that my body will never be whole, healthy, and functioning properly again. I'm young now (31 in July) but what about when I'm 40? 60? What if something happens that I cannot exercise anymore? What if exercise fails to manage it? I also feel, just...well...frail. I try to keep fit (like it or not), and eat right. My diet is 100 times improved from what it was. I still indulge once in a while, but overall, my meals are balanced and healthy, with a minimum of empty calories and processed foods. Some days are better than others, some weeks are better than others just like anyone, but I like to think that trying to stick to eating sensibly balances out over TIME, rather than freaking out about a stressful week where dinner came out of the micromave every night. Still, I'm plauged with a host of problems...IBS, ganglion cysts in my joints, back problems...dear god the BACK PROBLEMS!!! Not just the issue I mentioned above, but my middle back, my neck, constantly go out. I used to see a chiro and he helped a lot but he go too expensive, now I see a D.O which my insurance covers more of a portion of and who essentially does the same thing. I can go to bed one night, and wake up the next morning with my back so locked up I can't even wash my hair. What put me out of running for a month was 4 rib heads just mysteriously jumped out of place, leaving me in pain like I was having a heart attack and being stabbed in the solar plexus. I can think of no reason for any of this. I have been tested for connective tissue disorders, autoimmune disorders and NOTHING comes up abnormal EVER. I feel like I should be on Discovery Health's mystery diagnosis show. And no, I'm not a hypochondriac, doctors can see the problems, just nothing they tell me to do to prevent them helps and no treatments ever stick. I can do all the exercises in the world, change this, do this and don't do that and STILL my body just seems to want to self destruct and take me with it. I just can't ever seem to be HEALTHY. I know we all have problems from time to time, some major, but mine just accumulate. There are more problems, but I'd be writing a book and sounding like I was throwing a pity party if I wrote them down here. Just one for instance to give you an idea - when I was 19 my immune system decided to eat one of my teeth from the inside out just, you know, for fun. My dentist said he'd seen that before, but NEVER in someone under the age of 40. What does this have to do with running? I would have thought that a healthier, more fit lifestyle would help SOME of this, I just seem to be developing problems at an alarming rate and they can't be treated. I mean, not that I'm going to, but I might as well just go back to being sedentary, eating chips, and smoking a pack a day again. It's discouraging. I seriously am too young to be this old. I fear if this keeps up, I might be heading toward depression, and then god only knows what's going to happen to me once those kinds of problems start. (PS - I've tried antidepressants and they don't help, they also give me side effects no doctor has ever seen before. Example: Lexapro gave me tinnitis that took a week to go away. I couldn't even sleep the ringing was so loud). Have any other runners here ever dealt with this or anything similar and what was the outcome/what did you do?
      wow - i usually don't last reading everyone's long posts, but you had me the whole way through. it DOES sound like something is wrong in your body, eventhough your blodowork and other tests might not show it YET. you have to keep in mind that sometimes you just have to wait for another symptom to show itself before a doctor can understand what might be causing all of this. you have been extremely patient so far and it just shows how the stress is taking its toll on you. unfortunately, i can't offer much medical help. you defintely do sound like one of those mystery diagnosis episodes. i know that its not much of a comforting feeling though. the only thing i can offer is the advice not to lose your way. keep on surviving like you have done for so long now and just try to have faith that one day you will get the answer you want. like you already said, exercise is helpful, so just try to get out there and do whatever you can whenever you can. and please, dont stop looking for an answer. no matter how many doctor visits, or health insurance problems you may encounter. STAY STRONG and DETERMINED! and finally, you always have us at RA to vent to, ask for help, ask for prayers, etc. you will definitely be in my thoughts and i am sending lots of healing vibes your way. good luck with your pain management and mental health through all of this. keep running!! (((((((HUGS))))))))

Giant Flaming Dork

I don't have anything to offer but support for the resident pinniped. Good luck Finney, we're all pulling for you!

http://xkcd.com/621/

finney

Resident pinniped

Thank you both. The support does help, and it's good to know people are pulling for me.

SMART Approach

Finney, Have you ever seen a manual physical therapist? Do a search in your area? Make calls. Their approach is a bit different than traditional PT. There is a miracle worker in my area that I have used for my SI joint issue (no longer) and have referred others to when I was in fitness industry.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Don't give up, Finney. There has got to be an answer out there. Dealing with an unknown illness is the absolute pits. We're all pulling for ya. Good luck!

- Anya

#artbydmcbride

Trying to stay healthy and balanced and deal with chronic problems especially back injuries and related effects by running seems less than optimal. It sounds to me like your goals would be better managed through daily yoga practice and low impact aerobics. Some running to supplement that regimen sure, but not as the sole therapy. My $.02

Runners run

Queen of 3rd Place

That's a hellofa story - I don't know what to say. It reminds me of a friend of mine, he has fibromyalgia, it took him years to figure it out and manage it - excercise did the trick, although about once or twice a year he needs pain meds - but overall he did beat it! It sounds like you're doing all the right things - keep trying, get second, third opinions, someone will figure this out! Arla

Ex runner

When I ran before, in my 30's, the furthest I could go was 3-3.5 miles. In the winter, I got bronchitis and colds all the time--I had to run with a mask and bundled up. In the summer, my knees sounded like a bag of ball-bearings, my hip joints felt "jammed", I got pinched nerves in my neck--I was a mess. I started running again a couple of years ago (now I'm 49) and I've only had one cold, no major illnesses and only niggling injuries. What changed? I don't know, maybe my attitude? Before, I ran, not as a way of life, but just to lose a few pounds. Now, I decided that I had to change the way I lived--I couldn't go on with my weight increasing and being less fit than a bean-bag chair. I know now that this is my life--running, exercising is how it has to be until they put me in the box. Maybe you view your running as a way to get back to the top of that plateau you were on rather than a path that has ups and downs but continues as far as the eye can see. Good luck, we're pulling for you! TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

coco-watts

Hi, hope this helps.... I was run over by a large (200 lb) man on a sled, kicked in the butt, quite literallly! It did some pretty major damage to my SI joint. 3 months of PT really helped, but in the 8 yrs since I've found Bikram Yoga (in a hot room) to be my miracle. I also still do my PT exercises and some floor Pilates at home. The Bikram has made the most signifcant difference. Yea, if there's a break in my exercise routine, suffering ensues, but mostly pretty ok now. Good Luck!!!
                        I feel your pain Finney!! I was in a pretty bad skiing accident (kid snowboarding basically used my back to stop himself and didn't even bother letting me know he was going to crash into me) in 2001. In 2003 I wasn't allowed to lift anything heavier than a milk jug still. I also have other medical issue's that have plagued me since I was a young adult. Despite all that here I am doing what I'm doing and will continue until I no longer can. I decided in 2004 that I was only as limited as I let myself be. I still have flares from my medical issue's but believe me they are SOOOOOOOOOO much better now then they were before running and working out. Just keep the faith hun!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

obiebyke

I feel you, too, finney. I contracted Lyme disease in June of 2005. A misdiagnosis, bad treatment, and treatment that just didn't work ensued. I've figured out that acupuncture REALLY works for me, along with exercise, watching my diet, and getting plenty of sleep. Still, it sucks sometimes. Like when I'm figuring out grad school and can't get by on emergency insurance during school like normal 26-year-olds because I have a pre-existing condition. Stick with it. Don't take the good/pain-free days for granted. And keep getting opinions and seeing doctors and demanding tests.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I would go with few other commenter's and recommend yoga. I do not have any major problems with my body, but running do stiff you up. Yoga helped me to loose my leg, back and neck muscles. Also, it has strengthen my body up quite a bit. Especially lower back. Try yoga. I would recommend "light" yoga, no any power or intense heat stuff. Start with a good teacher who knows how to proceed with a person who might have some obstacles for normal yoga practice in the beginner stage. Take care!

Hoping to Run Again :-(

More support and understanding coming your way finney. A few years back my life was an episode of Mystery Diagnosis Theater and it was awful. I had chest pain that prompted tests for everything from bone cancer to a heart attack. It ended up being costochondritis, an inflammation of the chest wall. I kept re-injurying myself off and on for that year (couldn't stay away from running) and once it was finally healed - I tripped during a trail hike and broke a rib! I was born with one kidney, 2 fused vertebrae in my neck and a slight pectus condition (a prominence on one side of the sternum, which combined with running without proper support caused the costochondritis) and when things start going haywire, it's very easy to fall into "woe is me" territory. Just take it a day at a time. I agree with the poster who said you're doing everything right. We all have to think positively and remember to count our blessings. You'll be in my thoughts. Take care hon.
                              ~ Fly ~
                              Only as much as I dream can I be.
                              veggies on the run
                              C-R

Keep fighting Finney. The answer is out there if you keep trying and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Lots of good support here and it looks like lots of great success stories which yours will be added in the real near future.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/