Does Too Much LSD Accelerate the Aging Process? (Read 1710 times)

How Much LSD is too much? http://slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/features/health_doping_slowtwitch2.html
    Let’s get one thing straight right off the bat: Endurance training is antithetical to anti-aging. So it amazes me when guys in their 40s and 50s who are training for a marathon or Ironman suggest that doing so will keep them young. It won’t. You may feel like a stud now with your shaved legs and your magic marker biceps tattoos, but endurance training speeds up the aging process almost as fast as watching TV, drinking sodas and eating potato chips. Actually, in some cases, it speeds it up even faster. I know, I know, you’ve been told that exercise is the great panacea -- the fountain of youth -- and that the more you do, the greater the benefits will accrue. Well, science has started to prove that concept wrong, and I suspect the evidence in support of my thesis will accumulate exponentially now that the first generation of Frank Shorter "psychophants" has started dropping. There is a middle ground where there's a perfect balance of diet and exercise that will lead to the longest, most productive and "youthful" existence possible. But it certainly isn't found in endurance training. That said, I do think there are ways (some legal, some not) to mitigate the damage and extract the healthiest life possible if you do choose to train long and hard. [...] The requisite high intake of carbohydrates to provide fuel requires that an enormous amount of insulin be produced and circulated to help store it. Chronic high blood insulin levels promote inflammation. Anti-aging scientists will tell you that insulin is one of the best markers of longevity in all animals… that the less you produce (type 1 diabetics notwithstanding) the longer you live. Chronic high-level training naturally depletes glycogen, which causes the body to release the adrenal hormone cortisol to cannibalize muscle tissue in order to help make new glucose (gluconeogenesis). Besides tearing down valuable muscle, chronic cortisol release carries with it a litany of negative effects. It suppresses immune function, which opens the door not only for short term upper respiratory infections, but may leave the door open for longer term, more serious issues (asthma, cancer, heart disease [which we know has a strong inflammatory component]). Chronic cortisol release also reduces calcium uptake by bones, and it's not surprising that so many runner/triathletes -- especially women -- have low bone density. Anti-aging experts will tell you that among elderly, low bone density is a pretty accurate predictor of mortality. Break a hip bone when you're older and your chances of dying skyrocket.
    Lane

I move that nobody comment further on this post. Maybe then Hefty will go away. Don't get angry, don't get drawn into his trap. He's baiting you, and wants you to say something. We can't stop him from posting, but we can ignore him, and if mine is the last post, then this thread will just fall to the bottom and off the first page. Whether you agree or disagree with my post, let's just let this one go.

Oh Mighty Wing

Well the treasury department of the USA (yes, they really are the sector the "war on drugs" comes out of) wants us to believe that LSD destroys our mind... but i'm not sure what their position is on aging...
          Well the treasury department of the USA (yes, they really are the sector the "war on drugs" comes out of) wants us to believe that LSD destroys our mind... but i'm not sure what their position is on aging...
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Wingz

Professional Noob

How did I know that was you? Roll eyes Hefty, you seem to be really reaching for topics... perhaps it's time to take a break?

Roads were made for journeys...

I used it as a teenager and in my early 20s. Now I have a few gray hairs, I'm going bald, and I have hair showing up in weird places like my back. So my answer is a resounding YES. Tongue
                I don't know if everyone that's posted is being sarcastic but LSD = long slow distance.
                Hannibal Granite

I don't know if everyone that's posted is being sarcastic but LSD = long slow distance.
                  Mike - Everyone knows LSD = long slow distance, but since Hefty is a well known troll here - every few days he posts some article about how running is bad for you. So the previous posters alking about the illicit drug LSD are just having a little fun at his expense.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

The Greatest of All Time

I prefer mushrooms totally. Organic ones at that.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Take one look at Keith Richards, and your answer will unequivocally be yes.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

C-R

I thought Richards snorted the ashes of his cremated father? There's a guy who died years ago but has so many preservatives in him that the body can keep on going.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

JakeKnight

I prefer mushrooms totally. Organic ones at that.
                          And locally grown, of course. Or you're not a real hippie.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

JakeKnight

I move that nobody comment further on this post. Maybe then Hefty will go away.
                            And I fully concur. I saw your post earlier, nodded, and moved on. If I respond in this thread, its to dorks like Marcus rather than the original thing.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Mike - Everyone knows LSD = long slow distance, but since Hefty is a well known troll here - every few days he posts some article about how running is bad for you. So the previous posters alking about the illicit drug LSD are just having a little fun at his expense.
                              Okay, I don't read these forums much so I didn't know.

Queen of 3rd Place

How about doing an LSD run while on LSD? Anyone tried that? Sounds pretty fun to me, except the beer I'd need to bring along might get all warm and foamy from the heat/bouncing. Oh, and while I hate to hijack the thread, what's the best beer to drink while you're tripping? As always, your advice is appreciated. Arla Mod to correct grammar.

Ex runner